Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Ellington Reserve 8 taste test FAIL!

I was at my local Total Wine and took a chance on this Canadian Whisky, recommended as a "best buy" pick by an employee. This is perhaps the worst whisky I've ever tasted! I'd drink Old Crow (previous "worst") all night long before drinking this swill again. The most "chemical", "paint thinner" nose and flavor, the flavor being considerable worse than the nose. Can't drown it out with ginger ale either. I just wanted to post here in case someone does a search before trying it themselves. DO NOT buy this stuff.

Taster
    Quote Originally Posted by toddinjax View Post
    I was at my local Total Wine and took a chance on this Canadian Whisky, recommended as a "best buy" pick by an employee. This is perhaps the worst whisky I've ever tasted! I'd drink Old Crow (previous "worst") all night long before drinking this swill again. The most "chemical", "paint thinner" nose and flavor, the flavor being considerable worse than the nose. Can't drown it out with ginger ale either. I just wanted to post here in case someone does a search before trying it themselves. DO NOT buy this stuff.
    Those "recommended" best buys are typically terrible at my local Total Wines. I'm not sure if they just put whatever they need to sell as their "favorites" or if they really like the stuff, but it seems as though every time I see one of those signs it's on something not good.
    Love bourbon? Post your reviews at bourbon.cc.

Connoisseur

Re: Ellington Reserve 8 taste test FAIL!

I've had a mini of this on my shelf for about a year waiting for a go. It may have to wait another year.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?