Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BT shortage?

Virtuoso

BT shortage?

I thought I read it mentioned around here not long ago-and of course cannot find the reference, but in reading around today it popped up again.

From the K&L crew...."Buffalo Trace isn't selling - they've already announced that Sazerac, Eagle Rare, and Elmer T. Lee are out for 2012, so how could they have extra for anyone else? "

I hear the scambling already.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Connoisseur

Re: BT shortage?

Quote Originally Posted by BFerguson View Post
    I thought I read it mentioned around here not long ago-and of course cannot find the reference, but in reading around today it popped up again.

From the K&L crew...."Buffalo Trace isn't selling - they've already announced that Sazerac, Eagle Rare, and Elmer T. Lee are out for 2012, so how could they have extra for anyone else? "

I hear the scambling already.

B
    Does that mean that nobody is buying Buffalo Trace whiskey?

Did they say why they're not even releasing any Baby Saz, ER, and ETL?

ETL is an Age whiskey - wouldn't BT make the amount that Age tells them to make?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    Does that mean that nobody is buying Buffalo Trace whiskey?
    The blog entry is in reference to the plight of independents - BT is not selling to independents.

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/kl...ependents.html (6th paragraph)

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    The blog entry is in reference to the plight of independents - BT is not selling to independents.

http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/kl...ependents.html (6th paragraph)

Thanks for the link! Out of context, it just didn't make any sense to me.

I still believe (strongly) that a 5 year Willett I had was BT. If it was, it could have been purchased a while back and then aged at KBD. Or maybe they had huge growth in the past year or two.

Disciple

Thanks Tucker, I'm breathing a little easier now.

Connoisseur

Is it just me that finds this unsurprising considering the dropping of the Age Statement off of OWA and WSR?

Clearly (to me), they underestimated some years back and now just don't have enough juice to fill their own needs, never mind selling off barrels to others.

Could this also be part of the reason for rumored demise of the ORVW 10/90 and/or the change to once a year allocations of other Van Winkle products? Or am I misunderstanding this?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    Is it just me that finds this unsurprising considering the dropping of the Age Statement off of OWA and WSR?

Clearly (to me), they underestimated some years back and now just don't have enough juice to fill their own needs, never mind selling off barrels to others.

Could this also be part of the reason for rumored demise of the ORVW 10/90 and/or the change to once a year allocations of other Van Winkle products? Or am I misunderstanding this?
    As far as I know, the Van Winkles have historically been released once a year, with the exception of last year when a spring release was tried for the first time, and this year, which they say will be the last.

And I wouldn't say they underestimated as much as the popularity of high quality bourbon has grown beyond their expectations.

I hope the ORVW 10/90 gets converted to more 10/107.

Connoisseur

I'm sure the unbelievable plugs for Pappy on Justified will make things worse this year. I mean, the bottles all are positioned so that Pappy is ashing his cigar on us in every scene it's in. They don't need help selling the brand!!!

Good thing Wild Turkey makes a lot of whiskey, because it's also heavily promoted on that show.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by bad_scientist View Post
    I'm sure the unbelievable plugs for Pappy on Justified will make things worse this year. I mean, the bottles all are positioned so that Pappy is ashing his cigar on us in every scene it's in. They don't need help selling the brand!!!

Good thing Wild Turkey makes a lot of whiskey, because it's also heavily promoted on that show.
    There was a different brand served up at one point this week, but I couldn't quite tell what the bottle was. Something squatter than WT or PVW.

I was wondering whether Boyd Crowder was actually able to accommodate that no-good carpetbagger Robert Quarles's request for some Pappy.
    "Delicious... bourbon. Brownest of the brown liquors... so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you?" -Lionel Hutz

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by stevegoz View Post
    There was a different brand served up at one point this week, but I couldn't quite tell what the bottle was. Something squatter than WT or PVW.

I was wondering whether Boyd Crowder was actually able to accommodate that no-good carpetbagger Robert Quarles's request for some Pappy.
    No decent human being would drink it like Quarles did, either, just shooting it. What a douche. I mean, he does a lot of bad things on the show, but that is just the worst

But, considering who was working for Boyd while he was in the clink (and perhaps missed the Fall release), you have a point - I doubt they could have gotten Pappy.
    Last edited by bad_scientist; 02-17-2012 at 11:22.