Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

Thinking of creating a weekly bourbon podcast, thoughts?

I'm thinking of creating a weekly bourbon/American whiskey podcast, and am wondering if there is an audience for one? Would you guys be interested in something like this? What is the general consensus on technological savvy among bourbon/whiskey drinkers?

I'm thinking of featuring news, reviews, interviews, etc. Would any of you be interested in contributing with phone-in reviews? If I see some interest, I will start working on it. I already run another podcast (music related), so I have all the equipment necessary to produce one.
    Love bourbon? Post your reviews at bourbon.cc.

Enthusiast

Re: Thinking of creating a weekly bourbon podcast, thoughts?

My first thought? Weekly is a very ambitious project. I'd suggest starting out bi-weekly...or even monthly. Second, you'd need to ask yourself who the audience is for this. Then I'd check out podcasts from competitors (both bourbon-related and beverage-related) to see how you would/could differentiate from the rest.

To be successful, you have to have compelling content. Interviews with industry leaders, news that's of real interest to Bourbon fans, etc. I doubt that folks would tune in to listen to reviews from nobodies like us.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by mrviognier View Post
    My first thought? Weekly is a very ambitious project. I'd suggest starting out bi-weekly...or even monthly. Second, you'd need to ask yourself who the audience is for this. Then I'd check out podcasts from competitors (both bourbon-related and beverage-related) to see how you would/could differentiate from the rest.

To be successful, you have to have compelling content. Interviews with industry leaders, news that's of real interest to Bourbon fans, etc. I doubt that folks would tune in to listen to reviews from nobodies like us.
    Yea, you may be right about keeping it to bi-weekly or monthly to start, especially since we don't get a lot of bourbon makers visiting this far south. I've looked for other podcasts and, as far as I can tell, there are no bourbon specific podcasts and only 1 or 2 active whisky podcasts. WhiskyCast is the biggest one, but his show is a little dry for my tastes most of the time. Thanks for the input!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by bourboncc View Post
    ...we don't get a lot of bourbon makers visiting this far south.
    That's what phones and digital recorders are for.
    Mat Garretson
    HIGH WEST DISTILLERY

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by mrviognier View Post
    That's what phones and digital recorders are for.
    True! Still trying to figure out the best way to record phone calls. It looks like Skype is probably my best option.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

WhiskyCast is the gold standard and I can tell you that Mark works his ass off.

I also think there are more out there than you may know. I can think of more than 2 off the top of my head. Ralfy is a vlog, but certainly in the mix. There have been others that started up, both audio and video, though I don't know how many of them are still active, nor how active they are. That, in itself, is cautionary.

You also have to consider the many, many standard blogs. They're all competing for the same eyeballs and (what? earballs?).

But with any enterprise like this the question is, what do you bring to the party that is unique?

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    WhiskyCast is the gold standard and I can tell you that Mark works his ass off.

I also think there are more out there than you may know. I can think of more than 2 off the top of my head. Ralfy is a vlog, but certainly in the mix. There have been others that started up, both audio and video, though I don't know how many of them are still active, nor how active they are. That, in itself, is cautionary.

You also have to consider the many, many standard blogs. They're all competing for the same eyeballs and (what? earballs?).

But with any enterprise like this the question is, what do you bring to the party that is unique?
    Yes, I definitely agree that it would be a serious undertaking, and the real question I'm having is are there enough people out there who would listen?

The differentiating factor would be the fact that it'd be bourbon/American whiskey specific, a little more laid back and humorous, and would allow listeners to phone-in/email reviews, questions, etc.

I also agree that after looking at the laundry list of dead whisky podcasts in iTunes, it makes me have second thoughts. I know trying to get interviews recorded and edited, whiskeys tasted, questions answered, etc, from week to week would be quite a task.

By the way, Chuck, I'm working through your book right now on my Kindle and am loving it. I would love to see an updated version sometime in the future, specifically with info on some of the craft distillers who've popped up recently. Also, is your documentary available anywhere online for purchase? I don't even have a DVD player hooked up to my TV and have gone completely digital.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Sorry, but the documentary is only available on DVD and, for that matter, VHS although I haven't sold one of those in many years. (Still have a few.) I'm sure you have a computer that will play DVDs.

I've been thrilled with Kindle and it's helping me break the logjam that has prevented me from getting another book out. Writing very much about micros may still be premature, but you can definitely expect more Kindle products from me in the very near future.

Bookmark my Amazon author page for updates.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Sorry, but the documentary is only available on DVD and, for that matter, VHS although I haven't sold one of those in many years. (Still have a few.) I'm sure you have a computer that will play DVDs.

I've been thrilled with Kindle and it's helping me break the logjam that has prevented me from getting another book out. Writing very much about micros may still be premature, but you can definitely expect more Kindle products from me in the very near future.

Bookmark my Amazon author page for updates.
    I bookmarked your author page, anxiously awaiting any more Kindle-ready publications

Also, have you ever considered publishing your DVD on the iTunes store? Might help sales, as I'm sure the Kindle book has done.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by bourboncc View Post
    I bookmarked your author page, anxiously awaiting any more Kindle-ready publications

Also, have you ever considered publishing your DVD on the iTunes store? Might help sales, as I'm sure the Kindle book has done.
    I am a pretty regular podcast consumer, and I'd totally be interested in listening to a bourbon podcast.