Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.

Thread: Vinturi Spirit

Novice

Vinturi Spirit

My wife bought me one of these devices as a gift when he learned I wanted to get "into" bourbon drinking. I am too much of a newb to yet appreciate the subtle flavor changes it may help bring about, but from a newb taste point, it does help "soften" the burn when compared to a pour without it.

Has anyone else used this product? What do you think? I'm guessing most of the hardcores will say it is unnecessary and a waste of money that could be spent on another bottle. However, it was a gift for me, so I figured I might as well use it.

If anyone is really curious and doesn't want to spend the money, I'd be willing to do a passaround to established forum members if you want. I'm new here but hopefully it is acceptable to offer that.

If anyone doesn't have a clue what I am talking about, just Google "Vinturi Spirit" and you will find it.

Advanced Taster

Re: Vinturi Spirit

I have one for wine that I received as a gift, I have used it a few times, I think it helps with bad wine. How different is it from a wine device, I imagine it is very similar, maybe smaller? I may try throwing some bourbon through my wine one.

Connoisseur
    Maybe some of the wheaters that open up with air will benefit, but I tend to think not much. Probably worth a blind taste test to confirm. I have a friend with one (for wine) that I may give a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taster
    I was looking into this same device, but decided I'd rather have another bottle of bourbon instead. Also, just as an FYI for everyone, it looks like the spirit and wine Vinturis are a bit different, or at least they're marketed that way.
    Love bourbon? Post your reviews at bourbon.cc.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by bgageus View Post
    I have one for wine that I received as a gift, I have used it a few times, I think it helps with bad wine. How different is it from a wine device, I imagine it is very similar, maybe smaller? I may try throwing some bourbon through my wine one.
    It is similar to the wine one. I don't know that it actually aerates any differently (are there different ways to aerate??)

However, it allows you to pour the liquor into the jigger on top (measured in 1, 1.5, & 2oz graduations) and then push a button on the side to release it into the glass. So you don't have to be over the glass while pouring. It won't go through until you push the button. If you already have one for wine, it's probably not worth buying another one.

Apprentice

Not sure if anyone has read this about it:
    http://www.wired.com/reviews/2011/12/vinturi-spirit/

Kind of makes me want one, but I don't want to deal with keeping it clean/rinsed and the small pour amount.
    @TheBourbonPro on Twitter