Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Glencairn (again)

I've got, side by side, a glass and a crystal Glencairn. I'm finding that there is a subtle (yet enormous) difference in the feel and "vibe" of these glasses. The crystal has a slightly softer feel in the hand. Not quite as heavy and minus a bit of the ballast of the glass one. The shape is very slightly different, a bit thinner at the neck. So classy.

If you don't have one, get yourself a crystal Glencairn and you'll instantly know why this glass garners so much affection.

Cheers!

Virtuoso

Re: Glencairn (again)

I've have both glass and crystal Glencairns. I much prefer the crystal. I can disceren no difference in the taste experience between the two, but I like the feel of the crystal much more.

Enthusiast

Is there an easy way to tell the difference? I've been looking at Amazon for a few weeks and they seem to use glass & crystal interchangeably. Is there a clear price difference?
    tl; dnr

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I believe I have this right...the crystal has a straight-edge lip, and the glass is rounded with maybe even a bit of a bead?

As Luna says, a different feel that you may find pleasing. They do have a certain classiness to them.

But as Ebo points out and I agree, it is an absolutely ridiculous notion to suggest that a whiskey will be different tasting from each glass. This idea was bandied about on these boards a few years ago. Utter hogwash. When this idea was the rage, I always felt that somewhere there was a surplus of glencairns that were in search of homes...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

Yes, the crystal has a straight lip with no "bead". Just flick the glass with your fingernail.... it will ring clear if it's crystal. The glass will ring with a deeper tone and sound more dull, compared to the crystal.

I get my crystal Glencairns here. http://www.scotchwhiskyglass.com/ima...gos/logo14.jpg
    Last edited by ebo; 02-18-2012 at 16:13.

Enthusiast

Full disclosure: I'm in the wine business in Napa, so glassware is something that I do consider and would be willing to make a little extra effort to get 'right'. It won't make a bad wine good, but I personally believe a good glass can add that little 'extra' that is important when you are making & selling very expensive fermented grape juice.

Thanks for the links & advice, I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by yountvillewjs; 02-18-2012 at 16:21.
    tl; dnr

Taster

Do people prefer Glencairn or Riedels for whiskey? And why?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by SDpappy View Post
    Do people prefer Glencairn or Riedels for whiskey? And why?
    For me, it's more mood than anything. I love the Glencairn because it's like a jack of all trades glass. It's heavy enough that it doesn't feel fragile, it does a great job of concentrating the nose, it has a nice bowl that holds an adequate amount of spirit, and it just looks cool. The only knock on it is it's a bit hard to drink from if you have a larger schnoz.

I use a standard tumbler/rocks glass alot, too. I like the heft of it.... it feels "manly". Plus.... I have a 150 lb. dog that has been known to clear an entire table top with a swish of his tail. The tumbler has survived more than a few brushes with that tail.

When I really want to spend more time "appreciating" a nice bourbon or scotch, I'll use a Glencairn Copita glass. http://www.scotchwhiskyglass.com/copita.htm

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post

When I really want to spend more time "appreciating" a nice bourbon or scotch, I'll use a Glencairn Copita glass. http://www.scotchwhiskyglass.com/copita.htm
    I agree -- I really enjoy the Copita glass. I think I am able to get at more of the nose with these glasses. The Glencairn glasses are my next favorite. I don't care as much for the Glencairn Crystal glass -- the lip is a lot thicker than the regular glass. Is this what is meant by "bead"?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Steve99 View Post
    I agree -- I really enjoy the Copita glass. I think I am able to get at more of the nose with these glasses. The Glencairn glasses are my next favorite. I don't care as much for the Glencairn Crystal glass -- the lip is a lot thicker than the regular glass. Is this what is meant by "bead"?
    The bead is the slightly rolled over edge of the glass. The crystal is thinner than the glass and has no bead on the rim.