Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Cool Re: Glencairn (again)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve99 View Post
    I agree -- I really enjoy the Copita glass. I think I am able to get at more of the nose with these glasses. The Glencairn glasses are my next favorite. I don't care as much for the Glencairn Crystal glass -- the lip is a lot thicker than the regular glass. Is this what is meant by "bead"?
    Ebo is correct, it is the glass Glencairn that has the "bead" or "lip," not the crystal Glencairn. If you run your finger up the side of the vessel you'll notice a lip on the glass one.

There's nothing wrong with the glass Glencairn, by the way, it's a fantastic little thing.

I have a crystal glass that I bought for cognac that is similar to the Copita glass but I never use it. Never cared for stemware, always makes me feel like I'm at a wedding or someplace I need to wear a tie. I suspect the Glencairn would be a great cognac glass.

It's been said before, but keeping a good variety of glasses on hand will enhance your experience. I go back and forth between a few different styles of glasses, depending on my mood. The best glass is the one that's got whiskey in it.

Cheers!

Virtuoso

Re: Glencairn (again)

The best glass is the one that's got whiskey in it.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post

Back atcha.

Having a pour of Bulleit Rye in a crystal Glennie now.
    The crystal does seem to hold on to the legs longer than the glass one.

Another point regarding glass vs. crystal: after the first pour, who cares?!

Cheers!

I have both types of Glencairns. I prefer the glass one myself. I'm a big guy, and the slightly heavier weight of the glass just feels better in my hand. I like them for their durability too. I have knocked mine over before, and even dropped one once, and it didn't break. I have seen lesser accidents that have shattered the crystal ones.

FWIW, I seem to remember reading somewhere, (possibly a thread here) that only the crystal version is made now.

Cheers!

Oh crap! There went my glass.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

I know what you mean, Joe, sometimes a lil' more mass in the glass is a good thing.

When my crystal Glencairn gets too light I augment its weight by adding more whiskey. It all works out!

Cheers brother!

Connoisseur

Crystal or glass, a Glencairn just feels better in my hand than any other glass I've used. However I'm with Luna in that a plastic cup with whisky in it is better than an empty Glencairn (but I strongly dislike drinking whisky from plastic).
    There's no such thing as bad whiskey, there's only over priced whiskey.

Virtuoso

In Pennsylvania recently I went for dinner at this sports bar (walking distance from hotel, only logical choice). Place was nearly empty except for a few noisy female Super Bowl nuts. "Whoooooo! Whoooooo!!"
    I hate sports bars.

I did have a decent meal, though and decided I'd have an after dinner bourbon. The best they had was WR so that's what I ordered. Five minutes later my server returns with this enormous martini glass, like the kind one might get supersized margaritas in at those Mexican chain restaurants.
    The glass was truly enormous and was full to the brim with bourbon. Easily eight, ten shots worth. The oversized, novelty margarita glass is an excellent whiskey vessel indeed.

I love sports bars! "Whoooooo! Whoooooo!!"

Cheers!

Cheers!

Taster

I'm confused now. My crystal Glencairn definitely has a wider rim, although I do understand what you mean by beaded now, and it is not beaded just like you said. I also think My crystal Glencairn is heavier than my glass one. I hope i didn't get a bad one or something. When I get a chance I will have to try and post a picture of the two glasses.

A martini glass full of bourbon - wow! That would be the best glass!

Steve

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Luna56 View Post
    In Pennsylvania recently I went for dinner at this sports bar (walking distance from hotel, only logical choice). Place was nearly empty except for a few noisy female Super Bowl nuts. "Whoooooo! Whoooooo!!"
    I hate sports bars.

I did have a decent meal, though and decided I'd have an after dinner bourbon. The best they had was WR so that's what I ordered. Five minutes later my server returns with this enormous martini glass, like the kind one might get supersized margaritas in at those Mexican chain restaurants.
    The glass was truly enormous and was full to the brim with bourbon. Easily eight, ten shots worth. The oversized, novelty margarita glass is an excellent whiskey vessel indeed.

I love sports bars! "Whoooooo! Whoooooo!!"

Cheers!

Cheers!
    Wow! I bet the walk back to the hotel was more of an adventure than you anticipated!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Virtuoso

I did okay, I took my time finishing the drink and had just finished a big meal.
    Still, it was a bit extreme. I'll try to post a pic I took with my iPhone if I can figure out how.

Steve, regarding the differences between glass and crystal:
    Revisit ebo's earlier post in which he describes pinging the glasses to hear the difference in sound. The crystal will have a clearer tone and will ring for a longer period of time.

I've found my crystal Glencairns to be lighter in weight than the glass ones.

Cheers!