Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Apprentice

Re: Glencairn (again)

To the best of my knowledge, Glencairn only produces the crystal version now.

Anyone tried the Glencairn Canadian Whisky glass?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BootFNBD View Post
    To the best of my knowledge, Glencairn only produces the crystal version now.

Anyone tried the Glencairn Canadian Whisky glass?
    I was eyeing these the other day. The regular glencairn is nice but feels a bit small and fragile in my hand. I like the size of the canadian glencairn so I might grab a few of these.

Apprentice

I really like the Canadian glass, it's a great change of pace. For me it occupies a middle ground between the standard Glencairn and bigger, heavier rocks glasses. It's perfect for when you want a slightly larger pour than normal. And the wider, more stable base definitely comes in handy on occasion...

Virtuoso

It took a moment to get accustomed to my Glencairns, but now I love them. I have the crystal version. The shape and weight feel just right, and they hold the perfect amount. That said, I don't discount any other glasses and would be willing to give others a try. More tools for the toolbox!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Connoisseur

A set of six arrived in the mail today, looking forward to giving them a try out tonight.

They sure do look nice sitting on the bar.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Virtuoso

Dropped one of my crystal Glencairns while washing it yesterday. It made a resonant "pop" when it hit the tile floor and exploded into a shimmering blizzard of tiny, sparkling shards that tinkled sweetly as they settled. Now I've only got one crystal Glennie. Damn.

Comparing the glass and crystal Glencairns has convinced me that the crystal is a nicer glass to hold. It is a bit lighter than the glass one and has a somewhat softer feel. I also noticed that the "ballast" remains behind the hand as you tilt it to drink. This sounds anal, I know. But shouldn't the weight and balance of a proper vessel work with ya a little? Gunsmiths and knifemakers understand this. The concept of balance and a properly located fulcrum is elemental to good design and one notices this when handling a quality instrument. I know the Glencairn was designed for a singular function and the balance issue was maybe an oversight or deemed unimportant. Or maybe I'm just wrong. Were I to design a whiskey glass, it'd be a Glencairn rebalanced with a bit more weight in the bulb, just a bit more forward. Now I am really getting anal!

All that aside, the Glencairn is the benchmark and is a wonderful, friendly little vessel, great to hold. I have a bunch of different whiskey glasses but since I got my crystal Glencairns I haven't used anything else.

Cheers!

Disciple

Well, it finally happened to me also. Last night I was grabbing a different glass and my hand knocked one of my crystal Glencairns and it fell onto my granite countertop. Luna's description is very accurate - it EXPLODED and covered my kitchen with small crystal shards. This morning I found two big pieces of the crystal on my dining room table, some 10 to 15 feet from where the glass broke. I'll probably be finding pieces over the next week or so.

It was the first and I'm sure it won't be the last.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jcg9779 View Post
    Well, it finally happened to me also. Last night I was grabbing a different glass and my hand knocked one of my crystal Glencairns and it fell onto my granite countertop. Luna's description is very accurate - it EXPLODED and covered my kitchen with small crystal shards. This morning I found two big pieces of the crystal on my dining room table, some 10 to 15 feet from where the glass broke. I'll probably be finding pieces over the next week or so.

It was the first and I'm sure it won't be the last.
    Better check your couch, too.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Wow sorry to hear about the breakage. We have broken very few over the years of washing and handling thousands of them and as we have stated before had one hit the kitchen Pergo and down a whole flight of carpted stairs to land on slate without breakage. Must be the luck of the land. We like the feel of the Mixer (Canadian or rocks style) Glencairns too even though they are fine for neat drams. Added pluses they cannot be tipped over. The heavy base and shape makes them virtually impossible to tip. We are getting them now without the maple leaf if desired. We custom sand carve engrave so you can have just about anything you want on them or the trad. Glencairns www.cobhthaighceltique.com email us for price on the Mixer glass coffeymates@comcast.net
    Coffeymates

Enthusiast

I like the Glencairns as well, and its mainly for the durability. I also really like the mini Glencairns

I got some stilk Ardbeg/Glenmorangie copita nosings, but my friends are like ebo's dog and they just have to enter my place and look at them and they break :-). But they are fantastic drinking glasses

Steffen