Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Taster

Hello from North Carolina

I've been reading the forum here for awhile, and appreciate all the advice and insights I've gained. Seems like a very friendly bunch, so I decided it was time to come out of hiding.

I've been enjoying whiskey for a long time. Started with Crown Royal long ago, and slowly moved to Knob Creek and Booker's. Tried some Scotch when I got the book 101 Whiskies to Try Before Your Die, but found that it was bourbon that I really loved.

Over the past couple years I've really expanded my tasting, trying almost anything I can lay my hands on. For better or worse, I've found very few that I don't like. . . (Old Ezra, Old Grand Dad are the only ones that are springing to mind). I love finding a reasonably priced bourbon that really packs in the flavors -- Old Forester Signature is my current favorite in this category, although Elijah Craig 12, VOB BIB are right there as well. But I was also lucky enough to lay my hands on a bottle of George T. Stagg and 15yo Pappy Van Winkle this year which I am enjoying immensely as well.

My wife and I did the Bourbon Trail last summer while the kids were at camp, and tacked on Barton, Buffalo Trace, Jack Daniels, George Dickel and Prichard's. She's not much of a bourbon drinker (prefers Jack and Coke) but she very much enjoyed the distillery tours.

My biggest struggle at the moment is to be able to describe what the flavor is that I'm enjoying in each bourbon. I can tell differences between them and what I like and don't like, but being able to pick out caramel, vanilla, maple syrup, toffee, etc. just seems beyond my grasp at the moment, but I love reading other's reviews that are able to discern these! I did appreciate seeing Chuck's post regarding picking between 4 broader categories (Candy, Spices, Wood and Fruit). I'm trying to just start with that for now.

Thanks again for all I've already learned here, and hope to be posting more myself!

Steve

Enthusiast

Re: Hello from North Carolina

Welcome to the group.

Gregg
    2012 Straight Bourbon Fantasy Football Champion

Connoisseur

Welcome aboard. Knowing what you like and don't is far more important that trying to "detect" flavors by name. But honestly, if you don't try so hard, it will probably come along at some point anyway. But whether it does or doesn't won't mean anywhere near as much as just enjoying. Look forward to what you add to the discussion whether it is distinct flavors, or what is "just plain good"

Disciple

Welcome. In all honesty, when we call out "vanilla", "cinnamon", "butterscotch", etc., it's not an exact replica of those flavors. It's something similar enough that repeats in various whiskeys that we need to name. I agree with the comments above. Look for patterns in what you like (mashbill, distillery, proof, age, etc.) and expand from there. Naming flavors is step 65. Enjoying the bourbon is step one.

Taster

Thanks for the advice on recognizing flavors -- makes me feel better!

I definitely am developing some likes and dislikes, but I also find they sometimes change over time. Knob Creek was my #1, but has since faded down even though I still like it.

Steve

Virtuoso

Welcome, Steve! What part of North Carolina are you from?
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by jcg9779 View Post
    Welcome, Steve! What part of North Carolina are you from?
    Now just south of Charlotte. Originally from Indiana.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Steve99 View Post
    Now just south of Charlotte. Originally from Indiana.
    Very cool. I spend a lot of time over near Wilmington, NC during the summer.
    Jack
    GBS Member #3 (Sorry Dawn!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieface
    I think i'm god but I'll get a confirmation and go from there

Welcome to SB Steve. Nice introduction. It may take a while, but eventually it will get easier to pick out flavors in the bourbons you taste. Just don't rush it, or try too hard. It will come to you with a little time.

Where in Indiana are you from? I'm from Indianapolis (Beech Grove ) originally.

Welcome, and I hope you have fun and enjoy the site. Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Where in Indiana are you from? I'm from Indianapolis (Beech Grove ) originally.
    Fort Wayne. Indy is a great city.

My wife is from Henryville IN. Amazingly her family that is still there has made it through with very limited damage. It's wild watching on TV, I've been all those places. The bus isn't crashed into a house like they keep saying, it's actually a restaurant. I've filled up at that Shell every Christmas season when we had back to Indiana. Will be different this year.

Steve