Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Virtuoso

Re: JD TN Honey & JB Red Stag

It's all too sweet straight and I don't really like drinks mixed with sodas

Connoisseur

I just picked up. The Beam "Spiced" and have high hopes that this can replace Captain Morgan in some mixers.

Disciple

I bought a bottle of the honey tea. Not bad. Reminds me of the beam and tea drink That I liked when I was younger!

Thomas

Enthusiast

I found this "mixing bourbon with flavour" thing very funny, because in Germany we had a big discussion over the past years of how bad it can be for unexperienced drinkers to handle this kind of stuff, cause in the first place, all the flavours take away the alcoholic taste.

We had it all: Rum with different flavours, beers with different flavours, Vodka with different flavours, and now some of the shops do sell Red Stag. I've never seen the JB Honey stuff in a shop though.

I tried the JB Red Stag and the Evan Williams Honey Tea and really wasn't impressed. I mean, I think it has nothing to do with an authentic bourbon or a "real" drink, but if you take this as an fact, you can be satisfied, if you like sweet alcoholic drinks...this is how I see it.
    "With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue, you get nothin' done"

Disciple

Got a bottle of Stag cinnamon spice. Not bad either. Can think of various drinks it would be a good sub for Captain Morgans!

Thomas

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by stiffchainey View Post
    I found this "mixing bourbon with flavour" thing very funny, because in Germany we had a big discussion over the past years of how bad it can be for unexperienced drinkers to handle this kind of stuff, cause in the first place, all the flavours take away the alcoholic taste.
    We've had the same thing here and so have many other countries. At bottom it's a specious argument because it says any alcoholic beverage that tastes good is a problem. It's also an insulting argument, because it says drinkers don't know what they're drinking.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    We've had the same thing here and so have many other countries. At bottom it's a specious argument because it says any alcoholic beverage that tastes good is a problem. It's also an insulting argument, because it says drinkers don't know what they're drinking.
    Agreed. They are lookimg at the drink as the problem rather than WHO is drinking it.

It doesn't take much to figure out the person doing "jello shooters" is (typically) someone between 20 and 30 years old, and more interested in "getting drunk" that appreciating what they are drinking.

Just look at that same age group, and how much Jack Daniels they drink. Go ask one of them to describe the taste... They can't, because they pound it as a shot. At best you might get an answer of "smooth " which just means "doesn't burn too much. "

But leave it to "researchers", statistician and politicians to come to the wrong conclusions and blame the effect rather than the cause.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasH View Post
    Got a bottle of Stag cinnamon spice. Not bad either. Can think of various drinks it would be a good sub for Captain Morgans!

Thomas
    Really? I didn't get that at all. Way too sweet. Tasted more like cinnamon candy than "spiced" to me. Captain Morgan won thia round for me... By a long shot.