Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Impact of Tasting Glass Shapes On Flavors?

I would like to provide my expriences and ask if others can concurr or disagree.
    I decided to change my tasting glasses. I chose to use, for my new glasses, the Riedel "Gourmet Glass" non-lead shaped glass. Well, talk about remarkable. I have found flavors and aromoas emerge that I had not anticipated. Indeed, I am not a big believer in things like glasses altering the flavors of the spirits but I am not rethinking that thought. Have others had similar experiences? I had been using Glencarin shaped glasses but I am not a believer in these Riedel glasses.

Connoisseur

Re: Impact of Tasting Glass Shapes On Flavors?

Well, I can't exactly concur or disagree, because who am I (or anyone else) to tell you that you don't know what you experienced. That being said, I am not a big believer in a certain glass being right or wrong (except an empty glass... That is just wrong.)

There are just so many variables at play. This is a new glass, so we naturally have a tendency towards excitement over the new element. After all, you didn't get this new glass with the thought, "This is gonna suck. " So you are already starting with a better mood, and now you are also probably paying attention to look for the "differences" and thus are paying closer attention.

Plus there is just the differences in "taste" and preferences for one type of glass or another. Some like the this glass, others find the Glencairn is more to their style, while others are content with a rocks glass (even when drinking neat), and still others contend a flask, so they always have their drink near at hand is best.

So what is the best? The one you are happiest with (prefereavly filled with a bourbon you enjoy)

Guru

I think the thickness of the lip and shape have an initial effect. Certainly, aromas are influenced be it whiskey or wine. A blind taste test would be one way to judge.

http://rumproject.com/menuitem3.html

Chapter Three:
    Tasting and Glasses

A Rum experiment
    Last edited by Jono; 02-21-2012 at 16:22.

Connoisseur

I've been using a Bulleit Bourbon glass since last summer, and have really enjoyed it. For comparison tonight I pulled out a Glenncairn and did some OFor 100 proof side by side. The BB glass opened up faster, allowed me to smell the butterscotch and vanilla faster, while the Glenncairn held the alcohol for a good 5 minutes more. I finished my BB pour while the Glencairn was still opening up. Yum! Then I waited until the candy became present in the second glass. The taste was the same while the aroma was the same, but when the alcohol was super present on the nose it was harsh tasting.

Interesting, and shows me the glass does have an effect on the perceived flavors due to aroma and nose as you take a sip.

Guru

To do a "blind" tasting you would have to be blindfolded and someone else hold the glass and bring it up to nose and to taste...tricky.

Disciple

I certainly notice a difference in the nose, which as we all know influnces the perception of the taste. If you're drinking something chilled or on the rocks, the glass can also influence how long the drink stays at a give temperature.

Virtuoso

The big factor is how the aromas get concentrated, obviously, but another factor is how the rim. Specifically, how it influences where the spirit hits the tongue first and in what quantity. I know Riedel has a few different rim profiles (compare their single malt glass to their Spirits glass, for instance). If the rim directs the liquid to the front of the tongue first, you'll get a far different entry experience than if it more or less hits the whole tongue at once. I suppose the easiest illustration would be to compare a rocks glass to a Glencairn or a small wine glass.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    Well, I can't exactly concur or disagree, because who am I (or anyone else) to tell you that you don't know what you experienced. That being said, I am not a big believer in a certain glass being right or wrong (except an empty glass... That is just wrong.)

There are just so many variables at play. This is a new glass, so we naturally have a tendency towards excitement over the new element. After all, you didn't get this new glass with the thought, "This is gonna suck. " So you are already starting with a better mood, and now you are also probably paying attention to look for the "differences" and thus are paying closer attention.

Plus there is just the differences in "taste" and preferences for one type of glass or another. Some like the this glass, others find the Glencairn is more to their style, while others are content with a rocks glass (even when drinking neat), and still others contend a flask, so they always have their drink near at hand is best.

So what is the best? The one you are happiest with (prefereavly filled with a bourbon you enjoy)
    From my own experience, I think the more you experience the different types of glass styles, along with whatever bourbon of the day you were pouring, you do over time set up some concrete expectations in your minds tasting profile.

I'm partial to using Riedel Ouverture Bourbon glasses at home, and have set expectations on how things taste.

If I order bourbon with dinner if dining out, it generally will come in a standard rocks glass, and to me, at least, does not often fit that expected taste profile that I have experienced at home and have come to expect. Granted, every bottle is different, but many times its not even close.

I don't usually think "this is gonna suck", but have been let down by that taste not being what I expected.

More often than not, I do think "this is going to suck" due to the lack of bourbon selection

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by BFerguson View Post
    From my own experience, I think the more you experience the different types of glass styles, along with whatever bourbon of the day you were pouring, you do over time set up some concrete expectations in your minds tasting profile.

I'm partial to using Riedel Ouverture Bourbon glasses at home, and have set expectations on how things taste.

If I order bourbon with dinner if dining out, it generally will come in a standard rocks glass, and to me, at least, does not often fit that expected taste profile that I have experienced at home and have come to expect. Granted, every bottle is different, but many times its not even close.

I don't usually think "this is gonna suck", but have been let down by that taste not being what I expected.

More often than not, I do think "this is going to suck" due to the lack of bourbon selection

B
    I probably wasn't as clear as I thought. Yes, a glass can have some effect on nose amd perception if you are accustomed to something else. Because, sure you need to let something breathe for a lot longer in a Glencairn glass than a rocks glass, and if you expect that more intense nose from a bowl then an open ended glass may leave you feeling let down.

What I was trying to say, though is that there is no one "right" glass, just the one that works best for you.

Apprentice

I find the proper glass to play a very important role in enhancing the nose of the bourbon, thus enhancing the flavor from the two senses working together. I also have discovered that pouring about 15-20 minutes prior to enjoying plays a noticeable role as well, allowing the spirit to breathe and develop additional flavor profiles. Another thing I have found that enhances the taste, from reading here on the forum, that I have incorporated lately, is the warming of the bourbon from your hands through the glass.

I have found from experimentation that the glass that works best for me is the Duvel Tulip designed for Belgian beers. I actually drink most everything out of this glass now, except for maybe wine. The shape of the glass allows for cradling it easily in your palms and provides enough surface area to warm the bourbon. Plus the shape allows for easy breathing and generates an amazing aroma.

I used the Riedel glasses many years ago when I solely drank Tequila. I found them to overpriced and overrated. Not to mention they break way too easily. The Duvel Tulip is still the best I have found for enjoying spirits. It's like a modified snifter that is superior in all aspects.