Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Impact of Tasting Glass Shapes On Flavors?

It looks quite large...http://beergeekshop.com/duvel-glass/

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    You're right. Any bourbon will have a powerful nose if you're smelling this much of it.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    It definitely is. You learn to eyeball the appropriate amount for a decent pour after using it a few times.

Enthusiast

I have to totally agree with those who comment that the Reidel glasses are WAY overpriced. I would never, ever pay retail on these. Hell, I don't even pay the discounter prices. I buy these when they go on big closeouts. That said I also very much like the Spieglau and a very other brands of better crystal that seem to be manufacturing glasses specific to spirit. Personally I find there is much to dislike about the Glencairan glass. I want a glass with a stem as I do NOT want the spirit warmed by my hand. Second, I want a glass with a mout large enough that I can jam my entire nose into to grab the evaporating essences off the spirit. Third, I want a glass with a thin rim as I think, at least in my case, this allows me to more succesfully aerate the spirit. Last, I want a larger bowl than a Glencairan offers.

What I find remarkable is that glasses of differing shapes seem to offer sensory experiences in a much more enhanced or subdued fashion. I have noticed, in examining photos of the glasses used at distilleries to sample the quality of their own product, that the use of a short stemmed glass, similar to the Reidel gourmet seems to be widely in use. This is what stimulated me to buy these in the first place.

Enthusiast

I thought I would add that I really see the influence of glass sizes/shapes in tasting Scotches.

Connoisseur

One thing has certainly become clear to me on this thread... I am not, nor will I ever be in the class of "enthusiast" that some of you are.

Sure, I get different strokes for different folks and all that... But, research into different types of glasses? Really?

If using or not using a specific type of glass is going to change the fact that I will or won't like a particular bourbon... I'll pass on that bourbon. There are plenty of others out there that are great without having to make it a chore to drink them. If it is just your routing that you enjoy, pouring into a certain glass, sitting there by the fireplace with your smoking jacket on, reading some long dead poet... then more power to you... but if you have to set things up just so in order just to like something, that is just too much work for me.

What glass I use will vary depending on mood or environment. Yup, I have a glencairn glass when I am in my "tasting" mode, I have a rocks glass when I am sipping and watching TV, and I have a heavy thick glass that almost looks like a mason jar that I picked up at some restaurant when I am working down in my "shop" (basement). And, I guess I am not sofisticated enough to realize it, but as far as I can tell, I enjoy my bourbon just as much regardless of what container is holding it. Is the experience different... yeah... and so is the environment... but the bourbon... it is all still good.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by MJL View Post
    Second, I want a glass with a mout large enough that I can jam my entire nose into to grab the evaporating essences off the spirit. Third, I want a glass with a thin rim as I think, at least in my case, this allows me to more succesfully aerate the spirit. Last, I want a larger bowl than a Glencairan offers.
    Have you looked at the Neat Glass? http://www.theneatglass.com/ It would seem to meet many of your criteria.

I just got mine -- I'm still kind of getting used to it. I like the heft and feel of the glass. It's got a very nice wide bowl. I thought the wide lip would make it tough to drink out of, but that's not a problem. I would say it does a good job of eliminating the alcohol burn in the nose. You can eaily get your nose all the way in. However, I'm not convinced it improves getting all of the aromas.

Other downside is that they definitely seem overpriced!

Steve

Virtuoso

What glass I use will vary depending on mood or environment. Yup, I have a glencairn glass when I am in my "tasting" mode, I have a rocks glass when I am sipping and watching TV, and I have a heavy thick glass that almost looks like a mason jar that I picked up at some restaurant when I am working down in my "shop" (basement). And, I guess I am not sofisticated enough to realize it, but as far as I can tell, I enjoy my bourbon just as much regardless of what container is holding it. Is the experience different... yeah... and so is the environment... but the bourbon... it is all still good.
    I don't think anyone that responded in this thread thinks or said anything different?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MJL View Post
    I thought I would add that I really see the influence of glass sizes/shapes in tasting Scotches.
    Same here. I usually use a sherry copita for scotch and a larger bowled (but relatively small) stemless wineglass for bourbon. A lot of times I'll use a rocks glass for bourbon, too. Bourbon and rye hav(generally speaking) more powerful nose and tend to be a little overwhelming in a narrow glaas like a glencairn or a copita. Just my opinion, though, mileage may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve99 View Post
    Have you looked at the Neat Glass? http://www.theneatglass.com/ It would seem to meet many of your criteria.

I just got mine -- I'm still kind of getting used to it. I like the heft and feel of the glass. It's got a very nice wide bowl. I thought the wide lip would make it tough to drink out of, but that's not a problem. I would say it does a good job of eliminating the alcohol burn in the nose. You can eaily get your nose all the way in. However, I'm not convinced it improves getting all of the aromas.

Other downside is that they definitely seem overpriced!

Steve

Looks like it should have a fish in it
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.