Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Jim Beam Black... 7 year?

I have searched both here and other spots, but could not find this. Yes, I know the export JBB is "triple aged" 6 years, but I could not find anything on this old label version of Black claiming 7 years and 90 proof rather than the typical 86.

Anyone familiar with this? Did JBB used to be a 7 year product? Or is this an export that somehow made it into a US store?

Connoisseur

Re: Jim Beam Black... 7 year?

I don't know about this specifically but I think Beam has varied the Black over the years. I have several bottles of "Beam's Black Label" which is 90 proof. One is 101 months and the other is 8 years. So there may have been a 7 year at some point. I also have some jim Beam Reserve which has a black label and is 7 years but it is 80 proof and taste a lot like Basil. Can you post a picture?

Connoisseur

On the Left, the 750 ml. bottle looking more like I expected it to, on the right, the 1 liter bragging 7 years and 90 proof.

Connoisseur

Am i reading that right? 29 bux!?! That,s odd sitting next to the 8 yr with 23 bux.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    Am i reading that right? 29 bux!?! That,s odd sitting next to the 8 yr with 23 bux.
    It is a little hard to tell by the picture, but the $23.99 is a 750 ml but the $29.99 is a 1 Liter bottle.

Plus the shop owner had no idea that they were any different, other than he sells a "lot more" 750 than 1L bottles (though it doesn't seem he sells much of either considering they are both older labels).

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    It is a little hard to tell by the picture, but the $23.99 is a 750 ml but the $29.99 is a 1 Liter bottle.
    Oh snap! you're right. I didn't realize the larger bottle.

It may not be the best rule of thumb (especially for Beam products) but: "They don't make'm like they used to." Some brands up their game to get more sales; maybe this is one of those times and that 7 year is actually good. It's a roll of the dice to be sure and Jim Beam, though stable, isn't known as a phenom product.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    I don't know about this specifically but I think Beam has varied the Black over the years. I have several bottles of "Beam's Black Label" which is 90 proof. One is 101 months and the other is 8 years. So there may have been a 7 year at some point. I also have some jim Beam Reserve which has a black label and is 7 years but it is 80 proof and taste a lot like Basil. Can you post a picture?
    Yeah, they've fiddled with the Black Label a lot. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the progression was something like this: 101 months/90 proof, 8/90, 7/90, and 8/86. I don't know if the Reserve belongs in this bunch or not, I've never seen it. Interesting that it tastes like BH.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Yeah, they've fiddled with the Black Label a lot. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the progression was something like this: 101 months/90 proof, 8/90, 7/90, and 8/86. I don't know if the Reserve belongs in this bunch or not, I've never seen it. Interesting that it tastes like BH.
    I think there was another one called "Double Aged" with no actual age statement. I think that was last year's label.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    I think there was another one called "Double Aged" with no actual age statement. I think that was last year's label.
    That's the current label, except that it has the age statement. The NAS versions are international only.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    The NAS versions are international only.
    Wow, I think I can actually pick those up at a store near here for about 19 bux. Although, I don't think the juice is any better