Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

What do you guys think of Hooker's House Bourbon?

What do you guy's think of the Hooker's Pinot Noir finished Bourbon? I tried the 2 year Big Bottom finished in port casks and was quite underwhelmed for the price. Thoughts? Paying $35 for 2 year old Bourbon seems like a crime, although from what I've read, Hooker's is older than 2 years, I'm still not convinced.

Connoisseur

Re: What do you guys think of Hooker's House Bourbon?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormeh View Post
    What do you guy's think of the Hooker's Pinot Noir finished Bourbon? I tried the 2 year Big Bottom finished in port casks and was quite underwhelmed for the price. Thoughts? Paying $35 for 2 year old Bourbon seems like a crime, although from what I've read, Hooker's is older than 2 years, I'm still not convinced.
    I have not seen this one in my neck of the woods in ATL. Very interesting, my wife and I love Pinot Noirs. Could make for an interesting tasting.

Enthusiast

I saw piles of it yesterday, didn't know anything about it. Curious to see what folks have to say.

Great review in SourMashManifesto today I believe. Maybe that is what spurred this question in the first place.

Id be interested in trying one for the price but looks like its only available in the Sonoma area.

Please pay no attention to the label stating the bourbon came from a Kentucky distillery. According to a phone query from K&L, the bottler, Prohibition Spirits, thought LDI was in Kentucky or something. This might explain why the mashbill seems so odd (54% corn and 46% rye).
    Last edited by Shuboy; 02-28-2012 at 22:02.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Shuboy View Post
    Please pay no attention to the label stating the bourbon came from a Kentucky distillery. According to a phone query from K&L, the bottler, Prohibition Spirits, thought LDI was in Kentucky or something. This might explain why the mashbill seems so odd (54% corn and 46% rye). The label will be changed in the next batch.
    I've seen this rumor around so I asked about it and I'm convinced that it is not true. I talked directly to the label owner of Hooker's House who explained the situation to me. He says they got the bourbon directly from a Kentucky distillery. Apparently, it was an experimental distillation that didn't work out for the distillery so they sold it off.

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2012/...ers-house.html

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    I've seen this rumor around so I asked about it and I'm convinced that it is not true. I talked directly to the label owner of Hooker's House who explained the situation to me. He says they got the bourbon directly from a Kentucky distillery. Apparently, it was an experimental distillation that didn't work out for the distillery so they sold it off.

http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2012/...ers-house.html
    That's interesting. K&L apparently got an answer that this was LDI product. By the way I was just in their Redwood City store shopping when I asked about this bourbon.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    Apparently, it was an experimental distillation that didn't work out for the distillery so they sold it off.
    mmmmm, that sounds delicious

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by dridge11 View Post
    mmmmm, that sounds delicious
    hmmm.... this sounds like joint Dridge-Yount project right here..
    tl; dnr

Enthusiast

True...it's an easy amount to split and if it's not good alone, it's got enough rye we could Manhattan it.