Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    What do you guys think of Hooker's House Bourbon?

    What do you guy's think of the Hooker's Pinot Noir finished Bourbon? I tried the 2 year Big Bottom finished in port casks and was quite underwhelmed for the price. Thoughts? Paying $35 for 2 year old Bourbon seems like a crime, although from what I've read, Hooker's is older than 2 years, I'm still not convinced.

  2. #2
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ball Ground, GA
    Posts
    611

    Re: What do you guys think of Hooker's House Bourbon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormeh View Post
    What do you guy's think of the Hooker's Pinot Noir finished Bourbon? I tried the 2 year Big Bottom finished in port casks and was quite underwhelmed for the price. Thoughts? Paying $35 for 2 year old Bourbon seems like a crime, although from what I've read, Hooker's is older than 2 years, I'm still not convinced.
    I have not seen this one in my neck of the woods in ATL. Very interesting, my wife and I love Pinot Noirs. Could make for an interesting tasting.

  3. #3
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    274

    Re: What do you guys think of Hooker's House Bourbon?

    I saw piles of it yesterday, didn't know anything about it. Curious to see what folks have to say.

  4. #4

    Re: What do you guys think of Hooker's House Bourbon?

    Great review in SourMashManifesto today I believe. Maybe that is what spurred this question in the first place.

    Id be interested in trying one for the price but looks like its only available in the Sonoma area.

  5. #5

    Re: What do you guys think of Hooker's House Bourbon?

    Please pay no attention to the label stating the bourbon came from a Kentucky distillery. According to a phone query from K&L, the bottler, Prohibition Spirits, thought LDI was in Kentucky or something. This might explain why the mashbill seems so odd (54% corn and 46% rye).
    Last edited by Shuboy; 02-28-2012 at 22:02.

  6. #6
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,169

    Re: What do you guys think of Hooker's House Bourbon?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shuboy View Post
    Please pay no attention to the label stating the bourbon came from a Kentucky distillery. According to a phone query from K&L, the bottler, Prohibition Spirits, thought LDI was in Kentucky or something. This might explain why the mashbill seems so odd (54% corn and 46% rye). The label will be changed in the next batch.
    I've seen this rumor around so I asked about it and I'm convinced that it is not true. I talked directly to the label owner of Hooker's House who explained the situation to me. He says they got the bourbon directly from a Kentucky distillery. Apparently, it was an experimental distillation that didn't work out for the distillery so they sold it off.

    http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2012/...ers-house.html

  7. #7

    Re: What do you guys think of Hooker's House Bourbon?

    Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    I've seen this rumor around so I asked about it and I'm convinced that it is not true. I talked directly to the label owner of Hooker's House who explained the situation to me. He says they got the bourbon directly from a Kentucky distillery. Apparently, it was an experimental distillation that didn't work out for the distillery so they sold it off.

    http://recenteats.blogspot.com/2012/...ers-house.html
    That's interesting. K&L apparently got an answer that this was LDI product. By the way I was just in their Redwood City store shopping when I asked about this bourbon.

  8. #8
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    274

    Re: What do you guys think of Hooker's House Bourbon?

    Quote Originally Posted by sku View Post
    Apparently, it was an experimental distillation that didn't work out for the distillery so they sold it off.
    mmmmm, that sounds delicious

  9. #9
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    300

    Re: What do you guys think of Hooker's House Bourbon?

    Quote Originally Posted by dridge11 View Post
    mmmmm, that sounds delicious
    hmmm.... this sounds like joint Dridge-Yount project right here..
    tl; dnr

  10. #10
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    274

    Re: What do you guys think of Hooker's House Bourbon?

    True...it's an easy amount to split and if it's not good alone, it's got enough rye we could Manhattan it.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Shelbyville, IN Maker's Mark Bourbon House
    By mosugoji64 in forum Bourbon and Food
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 09-18-2011, 19:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top