Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 40
  1. #1
    Taster
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    56

    A.H. Hirsch 16 Year

    Well, I lucked into a lonely bottle of A.H. Hirsch 16 year, gold foil, while dusty hunting today. The last in-depth SB thread on this brand appears to be from 06' when it was BOTM.

    Is this a pretty rare find these days? I haven't seen one on the shelf in KY for quite a while. I'm not sure whether to hang on to it, or maybe horse trade for some Pappy. Any thoughts from those who have had this in the past?

    Thanks!
    "I suffered from ADD as a child. My parents treated it with a naturally grown remedy that I was made to harvest myself....a switch."

  2. #2
    Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Just East of the Big Chicken, GA
    Posts
    6,030

    Re: A.H. Hirsch 16 Year

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Well, I lucked into a lonely bottle of A.H. Hirsch 16 year, gold foil, while dusty hunting today. The last in-depth SB thread on this brand appears to be from 06' when it was BOTM.

    Is this a pretty rare find these days? I haven't seen one on the shelf in KY for quite a while. I'm not sure whether to hang on to it, or maybe horse trade for some Pappy. Any thoughts from those who have had this in the past?

    Thanks!
    Nice find, Dude. If you're going to horse trade for a Pappy, accept nothing less than that fancy ORVW 23 year in the slick packaging with glasses, in return. Otherwise, you're getting the raw end of the deal. Not that I think the Hirsch whiskey is necessarily worth that, but the unopened bottle is worth that as a collectible.
    JOE

    Wag more.
    Bark less.

    "Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

  3. #3
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SE Minn
    Posts
    996

    Re: A.H. Hirsch 16 Year

    Yes it is, and I would gladly trade some Pappy for this. Seriously.
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

  4. #4
    Taster
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    65

    Re: A.H. Hirsch 16 Year

    I don't know why you wouldn't just drink it unless you're a complete Pappy fiend; Pappy's not that hard to get and is still being released (and the 20 and 23 are still S-W).

  5. #5
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    232

    Re: A.H. Hirsch 16 Year

    It's a rare find but how rare depends on what they were charging.

  6. #6
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    1,722

    Re: A.H. Hirsch 16 Year

    I would most definitely take the bourbon experience drinking Pappy 20 over the GF Hirsch. The Hirsch 16 GF is a good collectable but IMO the bourbon inside isn't worth what it is pulling from the collectable aspect.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

  7. #7
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    805
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanL View Post
    It's a rare find but how rare depends on what they were charging.
    In another post he mentioned it was for under $50.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,605

    Re: A.H. Hirsch 16 Year

    Quote Originally Posted by Ejmharris View Post
    In another post he mentioned it was for under $50.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Did he mention where he got his time machine?

    And he's writing from Kentucky?

    I don't know about this ...

  9. #9
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    SE Minn
    Posts
    996

    Re: A.H. Hirsch 16 Year

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    Did he mention where he got his time machine?

    And he's writing from Kentucky?

    I don't know about this ...
    A Hirsch at retail isn't much stranger than Pappy at retail. Most members would kill for that.

    The bourbon world is full of hidden surprises just waiting to be found.

    B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

  10. #10
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    5,178

    Re: A.H. Hirsch 16 Year

    Quote Originally Posted by BFerguson View Post
    A Hirsch at retail isn't much stranger than Pappy at retail. Most members would kill for that.

    The bourbon world is full of hidden surprises just waiting to be found.

    B
    Since I started this hobby in 2007, I have seen Pappys at retail too many times to count. I have only seen 2 A.H. Hirsch bottles at retail. 50% of those got left on the shelf.

    IMO Gold foil is not worth it except as a collector's piece and even then the wax tops are much more sought after. For $50 I'd buy it. The gold foil I saw locally (I don't remember where it was so please don't pm me about it, friends) was going for $150. It got left behind.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Value of A.H. Hirsch 20 year?
    By B1bomber in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-09-2008, 07:14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top