Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Guru

Re: A.H. Hirsch 16 Year

Quote Originally Posted by BFerguson View Post
    Chuck, being the wise sage that you are...
    OMG, please don't go there. This just feeds the whole " crotchety" thing.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    I think the "should I buy or not" threads do more harm than good.
    They really help the eBay sales though...

Enthusiast

I had no idea Blue Wax was clearing over $1K
    tl; dnr

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

The internet in general makes it possible for enthusiasts of any type to find each other and carry on a dialogue that feeds the enthusiasm. As I am well aware, the enthusiasm for American whiskey is fairly small, still, and American whiskey enthusiasts are spread all over the world. SB.com makes it possible for us to find fellow travelers and share as if we were all in the same room.

In the case of Hirsch, it really struggled, selling a few hundred cases a year from its inception in the early 90s until the end of that decade. Then sb.com came into existence, the word spread, and Priess quickly sold in a year or two more than had been sold in the previous decade. Yes, there were other factors. Gordon Hue didn't have the distribution chops that Priess had, but sb.com played a role.

Arguably, the craze for all things Stitzel-Weller and especially Van Winkle can be attributed to sb.com.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I agree, and I believe the same to be true for the resurgence of interest in straight rye.

Gary

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by yountvillewjs View Post
    I had no idea Blue Wax was clearing over $1K
    I saw that too. And I left a couple bottles on the shelf when I bought the one I own. At $50 a bottle I didn't think I should get more than one...
    Craig

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    The internet in general makes it possible for enthusiasts of any type to find each other and carry on a dialogue that feeds the enthusiasm. As I am well aware, the enthusiasm for American whiskey is fairly small, still, and American whiskey enthusiasts are spread all over the world. SB.com makes it possible for us to find fellow travelers and share as if we were all in the same room.

In the case of Hirsch, it really struggled, selling a few hundred cases a year from its inception in the early 90s until the end of that decade. Then sb.com came into existence, the word spread, and Priess quickly sold in a year or two more than had been sold in the previous decade. Yes, there were other factors. Gordon Hue didn't have the distribution chops that Priess had, but sb.com played a role.

Arguably, the craze for all things Stitzel-Weller and especially Van Winkle can be attributed to sb.com.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I agree, and I believe the same to be true for the resurgence of interest in straight rye.

Gary
    1,195 people here at one time on 2/5/12 definitely speaks to SBs continuing and growing influence.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Taster

I really appreciate everyone's replies. Its an interesting discussion, and I look forward to reading Chuck's history on the A.H. Hirsch.

I'm planning to attend the Bourbon Sampler next month (heck, its only 30 miles away) and look forward to meeting some of you.
    "I suffered from ADD as a child. My parents treated it with a naturally grown remedy that I was made to harvest myself....a switch."

Guru

I completed your paragraph for you.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    I'm planning to attend the Bourbon Sampler next month (heck, its only 30 miles away) and look forward to meeting some of you. Others of you, not so much.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I completed your paragraph for you.
    Thanks!! I appreciate you helping a newbie out!
    "I suffered from ADD as a child. My parents treated it with a naturally grown remedy that I was made to harvest myself....a switch."