Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Guru

Re: Sweet Sippin\' II: Mountain Moonshine

Haha, forgot about that Georgia Moon stuff... Like you said, one taste was enough for me for a lifetime as well.

Bourbonian of the Year 2003 and Super Moderator

I can't imagine how rough even WT would be if aged only during the trip from the still to my home.
    Another reason to visit the Bourbon Festival and go on a distillery tour, See they got this stuff called white dog and I guess none of them will sell any in that state but they let you drink freely of it when you are watching them take off a run on the stills. If you did that you know without being told that it is as smooth as water , there is a flavor component that will always be present no matter how long it gets aged and it is minus the caramel and wood flavors. It's one of those things, you have to be there I guess.

Virtuoso

Bass like them cottonmouths, too....

When I lived in South Florida in the early 80s, there was a story - I believe it was in the paper, either that or BassMasters magazine - about a fisherman who caught a sizable bass. The fisherman grabbed the bass by the lower jaw to lift it out of the water. The story goes that a just swallowed cotton mouth came out of the bass' gullet and bit the fisherman on the hand.

Is this true? I have no idea. My memory may be fading me. But, it is a heckuva story. Makes you think twice before grabbing that jaw. ;-)

I know from experience that those South Florida cotton mouths are ornery. I've never been bitten, but I have had them challenge my boat (at that time, 12' aluminum). The dang snake just came right at us. He wasn't afraid a bit. We had to hit him with the oar to keep him away from the boat.

Virtuoso

Another fishing story

Here's another story I read when I lived in South Florida. Allegedly, a fisherman had caught both an 8 lb bass and a 9 lb bass on the same cast.

The story was that the first fish hit a live shiner, but the shiner blew through the bass' gill. A second bass then hit the now available shiner and was hooked. The fisherman had a heck of a battle on his hand, but landed both.

I do find this one hard to believe, but I remember reading it from an allegedly reliable source.

I have caught two bass on the same lure when casting a crank bait into a feeding frenzy where several small bass are feeding on a school of bait fish. Even though the two bass are small (about 1 lb each), they create a bigger fight than having a 2 lb fish on. It's really surprising how it feels like a big fish on the line. This makes me think how big a battle the previous fisherman must have had. If his story is true, he must have thought he had a world record on the line (over 22 lb.).

The Boss

It is available here Tim. Beverages & More carries it in every one of their stores I've been in.

Never had the guts to try it though

Guru

Okay, I'm glad it is available out there. But, I don't think you should necessarily try it unless your curiosity gets the best of you.

Tim

Disciple

I dont have a very big history in this subject, but I "know some people who know some people. . ." and have sampled a few of the locals finest. At worst it is what I would imagine turpentine to be like, at best it is startingly similar to the "white dog" that ran of the still at L&G when we visited last sept. Quite good .

TomC