Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Shelf Chick

Hybrid View

Apprentice

Top Shelf Chick

As a woman, I recognize that taste is subjective. However, it has been my experience that price can be indicative of quality. While I am all for a bargain, my appetite more than not craves the higher priced bourbons. Was wondering if there were others out there whose taste buds are awakened by a sip or two of George T. Stagg, Pappy, Parkers, Woodford, Bakers, Bookers or Basil Hayden? If so, I would love to hear your top shelf favorites / suggestions / reviews. Am sharing pics of some of my collection ... as you can see, I would rather be broke than thirsty.

Trippah and Admin

Re: Top Shelf Chick

Stagg and BH in the same sentence about top shelfers?

I wish I could eat popcorn...this thread has fantastic potential.

Welcome to SB, BTW.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    Stagg and BH in the same sentence about top shelfers?
    To me, BH is a top shelfer ... that is in comparison to a few others I have had the pleasure (NOT!) of tasting. Pictures speak a thousand words ...

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

It's really too bad that you so cavalierly dismiss anything that's not "top shelf" (i.e. "simply expensive"). You're missing many very good bourbons, including Fighting Cock.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

Pappy is Pappy, you won't find many here that will complain about the product. PH is a good one as well, and I love the Blanton's that you show in picutre. WT Kentucky Spirit is around the same price point, and although the older releases are better, I like the newer as well. Even though I don't think they qualify as top shelf, I find the Beam Small Batch collection to be very under-appreciated as a group, probably because it comes from Beam. I'll take the Small Batch over Stagg, particularly at a third of the price.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    Pappy is Pappy, you won't find many here that will complain about the product. PH is a good one as well, and I love the Blanton's that you show in picutre. WT Kentucky Spirit is around the same price point, and although the older releases are better, I like the newer as well. Even though I don't think they qualify as top shelf, I find the Beam Small Batch collection to be very under-appreciated as a group, probably because it comes from Beam. I'll take the Small Batch over Stagg, particularly at a third of the price.
    Agreed. Although a relative newcomer to appreciating bourbon, I have made the most of the past 2 years trying to learn. Although I have tried virtually all of the "high end" bourbons, and have PVW and ORVW in quantity at my home, as well as RHF, Blantons, EWSB, etc., I happen to like the Beam small batch series very much. Knob Creek and Bakers are two of my favorites. Bookers is also a favorite, but it tends to knock me on my rear a little too much at times.

There is a lot of prejudice against Beam on these boards, but I don't see why. Most of their products are top notch and compete very well against other brands (at least it seems that way to me).

Connoisseur

I have learned many lessons about assuming a whiskey or liquor is goingnto be awesome based soley on price. I have a 90 dollar Rum that is 30 years old that pales in comparison to a 30 dollar 23 year Rum.

With bourbon there similar issues. Rebel Reserve is an agressively priced bourbon that isnt worth anywhere near it's price point. Then there is Charbay with it's 399 dollar bourbon that tastes like dirt and grass, like anscotch that had gone wrong. It's value is based soley on the fact that there are only 400 or so bottlesin existence.

With that said...i do love me some George T Stagg and have been searching hi and low for a bottle of that PHC wheated mashbill. I want to see how it stacks up with William Larue Weller!

Ah man...allthis typing has made me thirsty......

Virtuoso

let me tell you about a rule I live by...

"Not all expensive Bourbon are good, (most are)..... Not all cheap Bourbons are bad, (most are)..."

To me, price is a "fair" benchmark to use in determining the quality of Bourbon...
    Last edited by birdman1099; 03-02-2012 at 06:34.
    Cheers,

Scott

Reality is an illusion created by a lack of alcohol.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by birdman1099 View Post
    let me tell you about a rule I live by...

"Not all expensive Bourbon are good, (most are)..... Not all cheap Bourbons are bad, (most are)..."

To me, price is a "fair" benchmark to use in determining the quality of Bourbon...
    I like that. It's simple and too the point!

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I've always gotten satisfaction from finding values. Some people get satisfaction by paying top dollar. That's good for the economy, so no complaints. Though it might be more interesting if your faves had something in common other than their high price.

And the thing is, more expensive whiskey isn't necessarily better whiskey, it's just more expensive.