Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Shelf Chick

Apprentice

Top Shelf Chick

As a woman, I recognize that taste is subjective. However, it has been my experience that price can be indicative of quality. While I am all for a bargain, my appetite more than not craves the higher priced bourbons. Was wondering if there were others out there whose taste buds are awakened by a sip or two of George T. Stagg, Pappy, Parkers, Woodford, Bakers, Bookers or Basil Hayden? If so, I would love to hear your top shelf favorites / suggestions / reviews. Am sharing pics of some of my collection ... as you can see, I would rather be broke than thirsty.

Trippah and Admin

Re: Top Shelf Chick

Stagg and BH in the same sentence about top shelfers?

I wish I could eat popcorn...this thread has fantastic potential.

Welcome to SB, BTW.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by smgrey24 View Post
    ...Bakers, Bookers or Basil Hayden?...
    Welcome! Glad to see someone of the fairer sex join. The quoted bit does make me laugh a bit. I can enjoy those Beam products at times. I can enjoy Stagg, Van Winkle, and Parker's all of the time!

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    To me, BH is a top shelfer ... that is in comparison to a few others I have had the pleasure (NOT!) of tasting. Pictures speak a thousand words ...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post

I wish I could eat popcorn...this thread has fantastic potential.

Welcome to SB, BTW.
    Ox, can't eat popcorn? Bummer, its delicious! Open a bag of peanut M&M's, just as delicious, but in a totally different way.. ..don't forget the bourbon !!
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

It's really too bad that you so cavalierly dismiss anything that's not "top shelf" (i.e. "simply expensive"). You're missing many very good bourbons, including Fighting Cock.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

Pappy is Pappy, you won't find many here that will complain about the product. PH is a good one as well, and I love the Blanton's that you show in picutre. WT Kentucky Spirit is around the same price point, and although the older releases are better, I like the newer as well. Even though I don't think they qualify as top shelf, I find the Beam Small Batch collection to be very under-appreciated as a group, probably because it comes from Beam. I'll take the Small Batch over Stagg, particularly at a third of the price.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    It's really too bad that you so cavalierly dismiss anything that's not "top shelf" (i.e. "simply expensive"). You're missing many very good bourbons, including Fighting Cock.
    I really want to make a terrible joke here, but I don't want Joe to end up apologizing to the rest of the Georgia Bourbon Society for inviting me.

The reigning Bourbonian of the Year luv2hunt describes herself as a bourbon snob and claims to only drink the best of the best all the time, so you're in good company SM.

While you're hanging out on the top shelf, add some Four Roses limited editions to your rotation. You won't regret it!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post

In the spirit of full disclosure, I have tried many inexpensive types of bourbon. Unfortunately, my taste buds find that most fall flat in the character department or end up with such a kick that I’m afraid I’ll need dentures if I finish the bottle. While price seems to be a pleasure indicator for me, Willett Pot Still – along with Beam small batch – sits proudly on my top shelf. I pair 1792 right alongside my beloved Woodford. As you can see from my earlier post, I prefer my Fighting Cock in a vase rather than a glass.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smgrey24 View Post
    While price seems to be a pleasure indicator for me, Willett Pot Still along with Beam small batch sits proudly on my top shelf.
    I tend to keep a spare bottle of the Willet pot still around. I refer to it as the "I dream of Jeannie" bottle.
    Mark Edwards - Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request