Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Shelf Chick

Connoisseur

Re: Top Shelf Chick

My take on it is this:

I want the best quality and I weigh my desire against my wallet to see who wins

So far, desire is winning by a long shot.

Disciple

Whether picked off the shelf or off the street, bottom shelf chicks are much cheaper.

Advanced Taster

this op is high maintenance BUT she loves bourbon. someone has a keeper! try weller 12 yo - you may like it more than some of the bottles on your list and it's easy on the wallet.

i would recommend dusty hunting but since you are a lady, i would highly discourage it.

the gentleman inside me is making me refrain from making any comments about the FC.

Guru

Not a fan of Woodford Reserve nor Fighting Cock. But I'd choose FC over Woodford even if WR was the same price as FC.

I've noticed Woodford Reserve has a lot of cashet among nebies and posers alike. This dosn't mean someone can't truly enjoy it without being either one, but every time I see a relative newbie sing its praises, my first thought is, well this person should be cut some slack they're new to the world of bourbon.

But equating price with quality/taste as if the two are mutually exclusive makes the person suspect, in my eyes.

Sorry, but I have this terrible habit of speaking my mind.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by ILLfarmboy View Post
    I've noticed Woodford Reserve has a lot of cashet among nebies and posers alike. This dosn't mean someone can't truly enjoy it without being either one, but every time I see a relative newbie sing its praises, my first thought is, well this person should be cut some slack they're new to the world of bourbon.
    woodford reserve is a bit more available at bars than most of the bourbons we really like. i went to 2 restaurants this past week on business dinners. bourbon selection sucked. they didn't even have woodford reserve. they both had wt101, jim beam white label and tried to convince me that jd was bourbon. the place with the better selection had makers mark and wsr. i had the wsr. btw, the bar tender tried to convince me that makers mark was very similar to rye whiskey when i asked if they had any rye whiskey. LOL

Irreverent One

So Georgia....got any favorite vodkas?
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by birdman1099 View Post
    "Not all expensive Bourbon are good, (most are)..... Not all cheap Bourbons are bad, (most are)...
    Well said ! Indeed, many of my cheap bourbons have lived up to your observations. Was not expecting much from Devils Cut and George Dickel … and not much is exactly what I got. As a proclaimed “top shelfer”,imagine my chagrin when I took my first pour of Angels Envy. Having bought into the hype of Lincoln Henderson and Angels Envy, I was left feeling cheated – both in taste and in the wallet. Just goes to show that money cannot buy everything.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    So Georgia....got any favorite vodkas?
    Veil, Three Olives and Skyy in that order. Never really went for the good stuff since the lime and tonic I added masked any real taste. I must confess that Vodka was my primary drink of choice until I discovered bourbon. Was always of the opinion that white liquor would prevent hangovers (funny, the things we tell ourselves in order to justify the drink). My first taste of bourbon was all it took it get me hooked and I have never looked back. Trying to make up for lost time so many bourbons, so little time.

Advanced Taster

SMGREY 24,
    Being in Georgia, you sound like a prime candidate for the Georgia Bourbon Society, although you seem to have much more class , taste and intelligence than most of of the other members. Our only female member, Dawn,
    ( from Indiana, but Joe thought that was a town in south Georgia) was just named Bourbonian of the Yr, so you could be a consideration to help her balance out and improve the group. The membership committee will be in touch.
    "Abstainer: A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure."
    Ambrose Bierce

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by smgrey24 View Post
    Was not expecting much from Devils Cut and George Dickel … and not much is exactly what I got.
    Lost me there Georgia. Dickel #12 is a fave.

Regarding vodka

Veil, Three Olives and Skyy … in that order.
    A $13 and two $20 vodkas. Not throwing away too much money there.

Never really went for the good stuff since the lime and tonic I added masked any real taste.
    That'll be true for nearly all of them. We have one here in Oregon - Sugar Momma - that's made from molasses (originally cane sugar, but they recently switched) and smells like rum. Makes a hell of a Harvey Wallbanger.

...funny, the things we tell ourselves in order to justify the drink...
    Huh?

My first taste of bourbon was all it took it get me hooked and I have never looked back.
    Yes, it's a gateway drug. Eventually you'll be drinking malt Scotch...then Islay malts...

Trying to make up for lost time … so many bourbons, so little time.
    Consider 375ml bottles.
    Last edited by CorvallisCracker; 03-02-2012 at 16:51.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms