Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another Texan...It's Like We Multiply...

Howdy...yet another Texan joining the fray.

My wife's grandfather passed away a few months back, and as we were digging through his shop...found this. Any info on it is appreciated. I have researched for a few weeks trying to figure out how old it is...and want to know if I should sell it, or if I'm better off opening her up for a test drive.

I have yet to determine how old it is...but it does not have a upc on it.

Thanks!

Taster

Re: Another Texan...It's Like We Multiply...

Welcome fellow Texan!!! Looks like 1973 to me. If you like bourbon at all this is a drinker for sure. Stay a while, learn a few things and enjoy all there is here. DustyJ

Open it and have a toast to your grandfather. It's good. Enjoy.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbowljoe View Post
    Open it and have a toast to your grandfather. It's good. Enjoy.
    That's kinda what I was thinking. But once it's in the bottle...and correct me if I'm wrong...the "aging" process is over, and there is little if any difference between a 40 year old bottle, and a new one off the shelf. My thought was...if I can get a bit more for this one...I can buy a couple bottles of the new stuff.

Taster

I'll gladly trade you 3 (THREE ) of the new stuff for that bottle.... Really...there is no comparison to what's on the shelf today. You would be lurking in the wrong site if you would not be interested in enjoying that bottle.
    Quote Originally Posted by LunchBox View Post
    That's kinda what I was thinking. But once it's in the bottle...and correct me if I'm wrong...the "aging" process is over, and there is little if any difference between a 40 year old bottle, and a new one off the shelf. My thought was...if I can get a bit more for this one...I can buy a couple bottles of the new stuff.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by dustyj
    there is no comparison to what's on the shelf today. You would be lurking in the wrong site if you would not be interested in enjoying that bottle.
    He is correct. Open her up, drink a bit, think about how crafty the old man was to stash this away for the younger folks!

If you don't his ghost will kick you in the pants when you least expect it.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

The bottle you have was distilled at the Stitzel-Weller distillery, which shut down in 1992. Buffalo Trace distillery now owns and distills the Weller brands. The current stuff is good, but not as good as your bottle.

You are right about not aging in the bottle. If it was stored reasonable (no extreme heat and upright) it should taste the same as the day it was bottled.

FYI - most on this site don't take kindly to 1st time posters asking how much a bottle is worth. You are a fellow Texan, so I'll give you a break and your question was not direct to the $ amount. As others, I would the greatest value as coming from your grandfather would be to have a drink to of this to him.

Guru

Too awesome not to drink! If it was bottled in 1973, that means it was distilled before the sale, correct? That makes it SUPER-DOOPER Stitzel-Weller!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Virtuoso

Can I come over when you open it?

Advanced Taster

welcome! i'm with the others - open it up and enjoy. you wouldn't get enough from the sale to offset a toast to the gentleman that kept it for all those years.