Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: The time is nigh for rye

I'm glad I live near Maryland- Pikesville Rye is only about $12.00 a bottle (80pf and 3yo and dang tasty!) and readily available. Rittenhouse, baby saz, Overholt, Beam rye, and WT rye are all in good supply down there as well. Was able to pick up a bottle of Van Winkle rye as well and saw a few more on the shelf as well.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by wadewood View Post
    Ditto in Houston. The downtown Specs, a huge high volume store, still has THH sitting on the shelf at $69 and I have seen very recently in a few other stores as well.
    Yup, I know a place in Dallas that still had THH on the shelf. I bet it's the ssme place O_O
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Novice

Here in Iowa, it seems everyone has taken a drink of the Templeton Kool-Aid and purchases no other rye. I see a steady and constant stock of Baby Saz and Ritt at my disposal that goes virtually untouched in the stores. Now, if Templeton would just start making a wheated bourbon for all of the Iowans to flock to, I might have an easier time getting the PVW.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    I'm glad I live near Maryland- Pikesville Rye is only about $12.00 a bottle (80pf and 3yo and dang tasty!) and readily available. Rittenhouse, baby saz, Overholt, Beam rye, and WT rye are all in good supply down there as well. Was able to pick up a bottle of Van Winkle rye as well and saw a few more on the shelf as well.
    Van winkle rye on the shelf? Last time I saw a bottle on the shelf I woke up before I could buy them all.
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Quote Originally Posted by Wedge View Post
    Here in Iowa, it seems everyone has taken a drink of the Templeton Kool-Aid and purchases no other rye. I see a steady and constant stock of Baby Saz and Ritt at my disposal that goes virtually untouched in the stores. Now, if Templeton would just start making a wheated bourbon for all of the Iowans to flock to, I might have an easier time getting the PVW.
    If Templeton started making anything I would be amazed. But they could get someone to make a wheated bourbon for them. They could say that its was Pretty Boy Floyd's favorite bourbon.
    Last edited by p_elliott; 03-12-2012 at 09:00.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Virtuoso
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    Yup, I know a place in Dallas that still had THH on the shelf. I bet it's the ssme place O_O
    I know of several. Just can't justify stockpiling more than the 4 I have!

Taster

Spoke with reps from Heaven Hill about 2 year ago at a whiskey event. At the time they said they increased rye distillation from once or twice a year a few years back to once a month. Ritt BiB should be more common in a near future.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    Van winkle rye on the shelf? Last time I saw a bottle on the shelf I woke up before I could buy them all.
    I found two bottles on a shelf in Bumfuck, TX a few months back. God that was an epic day.

Novice

One of my favorite things is going into grungy liquor stores and checking for WT 101 rye. The other day here in San Francisco my friend and I saw a dusty old liquor store and stopped in. Two steps into the place an old asian guy pops his head out of the back and says, "bourbon?" Funny, but no WT 101 rye there...

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by liquidity View Post
    One of my favorite things is going into grungy liquor stores and checking for WT 101 rye. The other day here in San Francisco my friend and I saw a dusty old liquor store and stopped in. Two steps into the place an old asian guy pops his head out of the back and says, "bourbon?" Funny, but no WT 101 rye there...

i take it you didn't see any dusties there, correct?

i've heard too many stories in grungy liquor stores about white guys coming in and buying up cases of old bourbon - you know you got there too late.