Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Taster

Pappy Van Winkle 15 - 2011 BT release

Here's a thread specifically for discussing this new all-BT Fall 2011 release of Pappy 15 year only.

There's a lot of emotion and opinion since it's been accepted and understood that this no longer contains any of the Stitzel-Weller juice anymore. But it is the recipe and is their very best attempt at keeping PVW15 alive. So instead of talking about the great tragedy of what it isn't, I'd love to hear from folks about what they really think of it in its own right. Numerous reports are coming out that the stuff improves profoundly with some air exposure time and is nothing short of fantastic.

So what are your thoughts? I finally tasted my new bottle last night, and it's quite a wallop of intense and distinctly unique flavor, complexity, a powerful and enjoyable nose, and a very long finish. Very, very enjoyable bourbon, special stuff, no question about it, and I look forward to its flavor development as the bottle dwindles and the air exposure time increases. It's a huge flavor experience for me. I can still taste it.

STLb

Disciple

Re: Pappy Van Winkle 15 - 2011 BT release

Quote Originally Posted by STLbourbon View Post
    Here's a thread specifically for discussing this new all-BT Fall 2011 release of Pappy 15 year only.

There's a lot of emotion and opinion since it's been accepted and understood that this no longer contains any of the Stitzel-Weller juice anymore. But it is the recipe and is their very best attempt at keeping PVW15 alive. So instead of talking about the great tragedy of what it isn't, I'd love to hear from folks about what they really think of it in its own right. Numerous reports are coming out that the stuff improves profoundly with some air exposure time and is nothing short of fantastic.

So what are your thoughts? I finally tasted my new bottle last night, and it's quite a wallop of intense and distinctly unique flavor, complexity, a powerful and enjoyable nose, and a very long finish. Very, very enjoyable bourbon, special stuff, no question about it, and I look forward to its flavor development as the bottle dwindles and the air exposure time increases. It's a huge flavor experience for me. I can still taste it.

STLb
    I understand that you're trying to stay focused on the whiskey in front of you, but I'm curious as to how you would compare it to previous releases.
    Last edited by White Dog; 12-10-2011 at 20:28.

Taster

Comparisons are fine with me, but personally, I don't know the previous versions. I missed that era.

STLb

Advanced Taster

The Pappy Van Winkle 15 year for 2011 noses a bit more dry, has a fresher oakiness, and more minerality on the nose. Still, the waves of toffee, fruit, and spice are familiar and quite present. The front entry of the sip is sharper, less round and soft. It quiets down quickly and again - familiar Pappy 15. A bit more butterscotch and a bit less fruit than the Stitzel-Weller juice, but just awesome stuff.

Whiskey is a subjective thing, but I cannot help but wonder how many folks were predisposed to not like this because it's 100% BT juice? Flavor delivery is slightly different but this is special whiskey nonetheless.

Taster

Thanks for the insightful review Jason. Much appreciated.

Question: Does this all-BT factor suggest that the future may provide greater quantities and availability of this new-generation PVW15? Or will we still be bound by the business/marketing scarcity model of the VW's? I sure do enjoy this stuff and would love to not have to fight so hard to grab up a bottle now and then. Even once or twice a year would be great, but without the insanity of procurement that we've seen.

STLb

Advanced Taster

STLbourbon. great question, and I would only be guessing with an "answer". I believe they've found a nice model that is working for them (scarce, higher price, consumer frenzy - that model!). I heard that there was more released this time than the previous one. Not confirmed and not vetted out by me, but that's the rumbling I heard. Is that a positive sign that maybe it will be a little less difficult to find? Perhaps, but I think it will always be a toughie.

Virtuoso

It's not just that- although there may be some truth to that. Primarily however, I just don't think there's that much 15 year old whiskey that is good enough to fit their profile.

I think that the Van Winkle whiskeys will always have that "insanity of procurement." They are incredibly good at advertising (in their own way) and regardless of what may or may not be believed about how wheated bourbons age compared to ryed ones, there simply cannot be all that much 15 year old bourbon that fits the profile.

I think most of the bourbon that just doesn't quite fit will get bottled as ORVW 10/90, 10/107, Weller 12, VWFR12, and of what's left some will have the wrong profile for 15 but the right one for 20 or 23. It would be really interesting to see how many gallons of wheated bourbon BT distills, and what percentage of it becomes WSR and OWA before it even reaches 10 years old. how many gallons- or barrels- are even left for a 15 year old???
    Quote Originally Posted by SMOWK View Post
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

Virtuoso

I really like this PVW release, when comparing it to WLW 08 instead of the previous PVW release. This is the death of one profile, and the proliferation of another one. It's happened before- even with S-W bourbon.

ooooh, what a soothing nose. sweet, sweet sugars. beautiful honey and caramel. Absolutely gorgeous, spectacularly sweet, wonderful nose.

Cinnamon, Vanilla, and Waxed floors take the lead in the taste. The mouthfeel isn't as full as I would like, and definitely more waxy than creamy. that loses this bourbon some points. But man, is that some good wax. The cinnamon hot is interesting, and the vanilla sugars play into the finish...

...which isn't as long as I would have liked. but it isn't unpleasant, either. Warm and sweet.

overall, good whiskey.Maybe 60 dollars good. But I'd have a lot of trouble spending more.
    I like to save up the charred bits in the bottom of the unfiltered stuff. When I have enough, I pour milk on it and eat it.

sorry I don't have the tasting vocabulary involving fruits and or nuts, etc. but this is good stuff. The naysayers are just whiners and snobs as far as I am concerned. I think Jason stated it rather well in a more mature manner than I am predisposed, but some people seem determined to not like the pappy 15 because they heard that it was bt juice. I say BS. If they heard it was a recently discovered barrel of SW juice the same people would be falling all over themselves to say this was the best ever.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by elmo View Post
    sorry I don't have the tasting vocabulary involving fruits and or nuts, etc. but this is good stuff. The naysayers are just whiners and snobs as far as I am concerned. I think Jason stated it rather well in a more mature manner than I am predisposed, but some people seem determined to not like the pappy 15 because they heard that it was bt juice. I say BS. If they heard it was a recently discovered barrel of SW juice the same people would be falling all over themselves to say this was the best ever.
    It may effect the manner in which some people would talk about it, but it is thinner and less creamy than previous releases. It would be relatively disappointing s-w juice... But its pretty good bt juice.
    but I think you're right, everyone would be happy that there was at least SOME sw juice left for pappy 15... We can have bt stuff any day of the week.