Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Novice

Cheers from Newport, KY

It feels interesting to finally make a first post. I've lurked here for about a year, and the voyeuristic feeling I got from viewing but not participating finally got the best of me.

While I'm new here, I guess it wouldn't be too acurate to say I'm new to bourbon. I've been hooked ever since my dad gave me a pour of WT 101 while catfishing on the banks of the Licking River when I was 17.

Even though I drank bourbon for many years, I never really "thought" about it in the terms that we do here on this site. A couple of years ago I sort of had a random revelation where I thought, hey, bourbon is an incredible damned thing, and there's lots of it out there. There's lots that I don't know. Why not get into it? Why not take it to the next level, so to speak?

So I did.

I'm fortunate to live in Newport, Kentucky, where the Party Souce is but a stones throw from my home. It's pretty nice having the world's best retail selection of bourbon in my backyard. I feel for you folks that don't have VOB BIB and HH6YO at your beck and call. These are the whiskeys that get me through life.

On the other hand, being in Kentucky, it can be a real dick trying to get your hands on the allocated releases, namely the BTAC and the Van Winkle stuff. Juice doesn't randomly sit around on shelves around here like it does in other areas.

Anyhow, I've said enough. Thanks for having me. It's a pleasure to join in. Next time you're passing through NKY, give me a shout.

-Birk

Taster

Re: Cheers from Newport, KY

Welcome to the boards (from a member who joined mere hours before you ).
    Whiskey is man's attempt at Heaven.

Advanced Taster

Welcome! I agree with you on Party Source. Quite a store! Unfortunately I also agree in terms of trying to find limited release whiskeys in Northern Kentucky. Hard to come by.

Novice

Thanks! I'm celebrating this Saturday night with some single barrel Ancient Ancient Age (wow what a great whiskey) and a few bottles of the Hudepohl festival bock beer from this year, which is incredible.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by birk View Post
    Thanks! I'm celebrating this Saturday night with some single barrel Ancient Ancient Age (wow what a great whiskey) and a few bottles of the Hudepohl festival bock beer from this year, which is incredible.
    Welcome. I agree on the AAA, the current/recent TPS selection is very good. While I enjoy TPS, as someone who drives an hour to get down there, TPS and CnB are both must stops each time down. Different, but both excellent.

Disciple

Welcome to the boards. If I lived a stone's throw from TPS, I'd be broke.

Taster

Welcome! I was in the Newport area this weekend. Always a very nice part of the Commonwealth to visit.
    "I suffered from ADD as a child. My parents treated it with a naturally grown remedy that I was made to harvest myself....a switch."

Advanced Taster

Welcome. Went to school at UC in the 70's when Newport was known for different types of entertainment. I'd go back to visit every few years but was away for a while. Back a few months ago and really impressed with the beauty of the area - plus TPS!