Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What bottle did you open today?

Weller Centennial. AaronWF was SUPPOSED to come over and share but, well, oh, I can't even pretend. I'm going to have to save some for him. Why have you assholes on this forum taught me to be so nice to my friends?

Does not compute.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by LikeItWasSodaPop View Post
    Weller Centennial. AaronWF was SUPPOSED to come over and share but, well, oh, I can't even pretend. I'm going to have to save some for him. Why have you assholes on this forum taught me to be so nice to my friends?

Does not compute.
    Which bottling did you open...curious if you notice a difference between the Frankfort and Louisville bottles?
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Connoisseur

I cracked open a bottle of ERSB 10/90 yesterday. It is funny, this was one of the first "premium" bottles I bought after first joining this board, and for some reason, others have come (and some have come AND GONE) while this bottle sat unopened.

After reading the BOTM thread on it, I had very high hopes for this bottle and was saving it for a special occasion. After a monster session trying to get client stuff prepared for this coming week, I decided it was a special enough reason to finally give this a try.

Maybe my expectations were set too high, or maybe I was just too fatigued after working a 15 hour day yesterday... but in either case I was left disappointed.

At first the nose was very sweet, almost sherry like. But, as I let it breathe in the glass, the sweetness was overwhelmed with the smell of alcohol, much the same way Maker's Mark, has some nice smells, but you have to look around the alcohol to find them. This was very much the case here as well.

The taste was exactly what you would expect from Buffalo Trace. I orginally got this when hearing a description of it being almost like a wheater (which is a bonus to me), but the only real wheater characteristic I detected was that it was a little hotter and with more of an alcohol burn than you would expect from a 90 proof bottle. As a matter of fact, this tasted what I imaging a vatting of BT and MM would taste like. There was some nice flavors there, but not enough to really be interesting.

Finish was fairly short, grassy and with more alcohol taste, but no real burn.

Was it bad? No not really, and I wonder if I would have liked it more if I had tried it before some of the others that have become staples in my bourbon cabinet.

I will have to try it again at a more relaxed time, and see if it was just me or if the ERSB is really just that... boring.

Connoisseur

"A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Apprentice

KCSB hand select . nice
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Just cracked open my first PHC 2010...Wow...Phenomenal right off the bat. Now to go hunt down some more...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by c2walker View Post
    Just cracked open my first PHC 2010...Wow...Phenomenal right off the bat. Now to go hunt down some more...

Good luck, doesn't seem to be anything but the occasional straggler these days.

Connoisseur

I cracked open a bottle of Jefferson's Presidential Select 18yr Batch 25 that I got yesterday. I was simply blown away. The nose was near perfection and for it supposedly being chill filtered it still had a sticky, oily mouth feel.

I am going to keep going back every pay day and buy one of these until they've run out. Obviously I haven't had any of the other batch numbers, but #25 has my vote. I would easily rank it next to PVW 15. Sadly it's more expensive but it is worth it. Especially when you consider it's likely the last of the S-W juice....
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    I cracked open a bottle of Jefferson's Presidential Select 18yr Batch 25 that I got yesterday. ... Especially when you consider it's likely the last of the S-W juice....
    i got a bottle of the same batch - i suspect from the same mega retailer. haven't had the op to taste it yet. as for it being SW...

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Neat View Post
    i got a bottle of the same batch - i suspect from the same mega retailer. haven't had the op to taste it yet. as for it being SW...
    You would be very correct
    I had to buy another bottle so I could try it. Its worth it.
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"