Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Connoisseur

Re: Higher Bourbon Prices Are Coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Halifax View Post
    I could care less if Basil Hayden goes to $50, or Knob Creek is increased to $40... Let Beam raise the price on shit that sucks. What do I care...
    Well, simply put, if Beam paves the way, and shows it can sell at the higher prices, what are the chances that the brand(s) you do like follow suit? So whether you like Beam or not, it is worth caring about.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Stormeh View Post
    Hopefully American Whiskey does not become the new vodka market.
    I don't think we need to worry too much about that. You've got to be a REAL man or woman to drink and enjoy bourbon or rye. Too much of the American population has turned into Jersey Shore-watching, rap-listening, mush-brained fools that are totally incapable of recognizing the merits and flavors of a good pour of American whiskey. Vodka? You can be dumb as a brick and still enjoy its flavorless gut-rot burn.

As for upping prices- thank God I love the mid- and bottom-shelf stuff. Basically all but 1 or 2 bottles on my shelves are less than $40 each. Well over half of them are less than $20 each! Even if they increase the price 10%, I've only added a few bucks to any of the stuff I drink.
    If you have anything Michter's or Pennco and would like to sell it or share it with me, please let me know.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Halifax View Post
    I could care less if Basil Hayden goes to $50, or Knob Creek is increased to $40... Let Beam raise the price on shit that sucks. What do I care...
    Took the words out of my mouth, man.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    Well, simply put, if Beam paves the way, and shows it can sell at the higher prices, what are the chances that the brand(s) you do like follow suit? So whether you like Beam or not, it is worth caring about.
    If the other producers don't follow suit, that will put Beam in a pinch.

Connoisseur

I try not to worry about things that are out of my control. But... One can plan accordingly.

Enthusiast

And if that happens, we are all going to have to start posting pictures of pens and watches with no bourbon in them.

I can't wait for the "what writing utensil did you buy today?" and the "what time piece are you enjoying this fall?" threads.
    Last edited by sob0728; 03-19-2012 at 14:08.
    -SOB-

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

When the higher prices hit I suspect they'll be modest, <5% in most cases, maybe more on whatever are perceived as the most premium brands, such as Booker's and, yes, Basil Hayden. Anything with Jim Beam in the name will be less and the cats and dogs, like Old Crow, may not change at all since they're in such a price-sensitive segment. Beam is maybe 4 MM cases domestically. Another dime to the bottom line per bottle is nice money.

Irreverent One

Quote Originally Posted by sob0728 View Post
    And if that happens, we are all going to have to start posting pictures of pens and watches with no bourbon in them.
    You don't expect her to see that comment, do you? I've watched her in Who's Online and she reads only the threads she's started.
    Scott

"Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by CorvallisCracker View Post
    You don't expect her to see that comment, do you? I've watched her in Who's Online and she reads only the threads she's started.
    She's not the only one doing it.
    -SOB-