Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Higher Bourbon Prices Are Coming.

Actually, it sounds like corn prices is more of an excuse. Read what Newmark had to say... They are seeing an improving US economy as an "opportunity" to raise prices,

"We are watching it very closely and any chance we get to do pricing, we're doing it. At the moment we're doing it in targeted ways, places where we feel we have strength and where those opportunities present themselves, or whether there's cost structures that we'd like to recoup," Newlands said.
    I guess they have figured they have already watered down the liquor as much as they can, so now they are stuck raising prices "any chance they get"

Source: Reuters - http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...82C14220120313
    Last edited by JayMonster; 03-14-2012 at 18:26.

Virtuoso

Interesting. Working on the retail side I had heard that Maker's was going up in price. But I didn't know that all of Beam's brands were going to do the same.

Enthusiast

They're raising the price because they are raising the price, it has nothing to do with the price of corn in the US, or tea in china. Global demand is up for whiskey, so the price has to follow. We're gonna see more of this as the Asian and other foreign markets open up to American whiskey. If you want to blame someone for this blame yourselves for shooting your mouths off on the internet and telling the whole world how great our bourbon is. Just shut up and let the Chinese drink JD black and JB white and just tell them everything else sucks. It'll be our secret.

The truth is, the only reason demand is up for bourbon is because of the global financial crisis. Bourbon is cheap. At least it was. People start drinking bourbon when they lose their job and their money and their friends and they can't afford to do anything else, so they go down to the liquor store and buy a bottle of the cheap brown stuff to dull their pain and end up liking the stuff, so they realize that its not so bad to be poor. Oh yeah, when I was rich I was taking vacations to the Islands, drinking bacardi silver in a strawberry daqueri with women in bikini's on the white sand, and I didn't really care about what I was drinking. now I'm alone in my apartment but it isn't so bad because I can at least afford a bottle of this sweet brown nectar that I thought was just going to make me pass out and forget about my misery but now l have something to live for. I'm a bourbon enthusiast. I get to try all sorts of new bourbon flavors like caramel, of toffee, or butterscotch, all while getting wasted for about $.50 a pour. Life is good.
    Last edited by Lazer; 03-14-2012 at 20:50.

Disciple

I would guess that bourbon makers are engaged in a variety of risk managment practices in regards to grain purchases (forward buying, futures trading, put options, etc.) to reduce volatility. It can't hold out forever, but it's doubtful that it's had much of an effect on the bottom line to this point.

Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru

I was a little surprised he even said it. For one thing, he said they aren't raising vodka prices because the vodka market is so competitive, but there is more corn in a bottle of vodka than there is in a bottle of bourbon, so take it with a grain of salt. You want to say, "corn prices, Bill? Really? Corn prices? we're not children, Bill."

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    They're raising the price because they are raising the price, it has nothing to do with the price of corn in the US, or tea in china. Global demand is up for whiskey, so the price has to follow. We're gonna see more of this as the Asian and other foreign markets open up to American whiskey. If you want to blame someone for this blame yourselves for shooting your mouths off on the internet and telling the whole world how great our bourbon is. Just shut up and let the Chinese drink JD black and JB white and just tell them everything else sucks. It'll be our secret.

The truth is, the only reason demand is up for bourbon is because of the global financial crisis. Bourbon is cheap. At least it was. People start drinking bourbon when they lose their job and their money and their friends and they can't afford to do anything else, so they go down to the liquor store and buy a bottle of the cheap brown stuff to dull their pain and end up liking the stuff, so they realize that its not so bad to be poor. Oh yeah, when I was rich I was taking vacations to the Islands, drinking bacardi silver in a strawberry daqueri with women in bikini's on the white sand, and I didn't really care about what I was drinking. now I'm alone in my apartment but it isn't so bad because I can at least afford a bottle of this sweet brown nectar that I thought was just going to make me pass out and forget about my misery but now l have something to live for. I'm a bourbon enthusiast. I get to try all sorts of new bourbon flavors like caramel, of toffee, or butterscotch, all while getting wasted for about $.50 a pour. Life is good.
    I'm not sure which emoticon to use... all of them? Simply wonderful post.
    Whiskey is man's attempt at Heaven.

Enthusiast

Source: Reuters - http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...82C14220120313

Surprizing line in this Reuters story:

27% rise in sales of Basil Hayden.

Maybe I can sell my 2/3rd's full bottle of BH that's been open for almost a year that I don't ever seem to want to go to.

The only time it gets hit is when people come over; see it; and say

"I've always wanted to try that"
    "Civilization begins with distillation."

William Faulkner

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    I was a little surprised he even said it. For one thing, he said they aren't raising vodka prices because the vodka market is so competitive, but there is more corn in a bottle of vodka than there is in a bottle of bourbon, so take it with a grain of salt. You want to say, "corn prices, Bill? Really? Corn prices? we're not children, Bill."
    It's similar to the price of diet pop going up when the price of sugar went up.

The more telling signs ares not seeing any premium quality bourbon on the shelves and the prices that they are going for on auction sites.

Bunker up if you can.

Virtuoso

Charge what the market will bear.... just good business...
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    Charge what the market will bear.... just good business...
    Fair enough, and granted this was said primarily for the investor set, but a little more tact than saying you are going to raise prices, "any chance we get" is also good business sense.