Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: What wine are you drinking? Spring 2012

I don't drink wine very much, a bit when I'm out at a nice dinner. When I got home though I opened a Chablis. I find it a little oaky for me, a little "hot" from the wood although otherwise rounded and pleasant with good mineral notes and a sort of apple-like background. It reminds me of some Chards from CA but not as buttery which I think is because American oak is different to what they use in France. No warm vanillin-butter in this one, you guys know what I mean.

I'm not a "wine drinker" though, I like beer and whiskey much more.

Gary

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    I don't drink wine very much, a bit when I'm out at a nice dinner. When I got home though I opened a Chablis. I find it a little oaky for me, a little "hot" from the wood although otherwise rounded and pleasant with good mineral notes and a sort of apple-like background. It reminds me of some Chards from CA but not as buttery which I think is because American oak is different to what they use in France. No warm vanillin-butter in this one, you guys know what I mean.

I'm not a "wine drinker" though, I like beer and whiskey much more.

Gary
    Gary, what Chablis were you drinking? Traditionally, they are fermented and aged in stainless steel ... although some may do barrel fermentation and barrel aging, that is more typical of chardonnay from other Burgundy regions. Your tasting notes are spot on - usually Chablis does not go through malolactic fermentation, preserving that bright acidity, mineral, apple/lemon note and avoiding the buttery tone.

The 'oaky' note is surprising but not unheard of - some Chablis producers might be experimenting with barrel fermentation/aging.
    Mark

Torrentes (sp) and whites from Chile. Having traveled there and Argentina this past spring, it's been our main wines of the moment.

Connoisseur

Shatter Grenache by winemakers Dave Phinney (of Orin Swift) and Joel Gott
    from Maury, a small town in the Roussillon region of France

link:
    http://www.shatterwine.com/wine/index.htm
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Virtuoso

I had a really tasty wine last night that I was referred to by asking for something similar to Lapierre Morgan (since Binny's is out of that stuff). But my wife threw out the bottle before I could write it down, and for the life of me I cannot remember what the heck it was. This is my problem with wine. I know what the label looks like, and I intend to seek it out again because it was of great quality for being in the $15 range.

Moulin a Vents? Something Marie Chefferente? What is it about wine names that I just can't keep in my head?
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I had a really tasty wine last night that I was referred to by asking for something similar to Lapierre Morgan (since Binny's is out of that stuff). But my wife threw out the bottle before I could write it down, and for the life of me I cannot remember what the heck it was. This is my problem with wine. I know what the label looks like, and I intend to seek it out again because it was of great quality for being in the $15 range.

Moulin a Vents? Something Marie Chefferente? What is it about wine names that I just can't keep in my head?
    Moulin-a-Vent a Cru Beaujolais from the gamey grape which is often quite tasty and in some years subs well as a poor mans Burgundy. It can be quite tasty and my favorite of the Cru's. Aged in oak and takes to some long term ageing. I'm thinking the producer was Pierre-Marie Chermette.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    Moulin-a-Vent a Cru Beaujolais from the gamey grape which is often quite tasty and in some years subs well as a poor mans Burgundy. It can be quite tasty and my favorite of the Cru's. Aged in oak and takes to some long term ageing. I'm thinking the producer was Pierre-Marie Chermette.
    Yup, you nailed it, thanks Thad. I guess the oak does a lot to give it that silky texture I enjoyed. I've been drinking a lot of Tempranillo, and I like the change in texture to this stuff.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by T Comp View Post
    And I know it's the Gamay grape not the gamey grape though I have had a few of the latter too . And how about, it is often quite tasty versus it can be quite tasty . Note to self...don't post from your iphone while in your car in the bright sunshine even if your parked.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Virtuoso

Opened a 1986 Groth Cab that held up very well. Great fruit, moth feel and as one would suspect no tannin. Sadly the age did not do anything for the "green pepper' nuances the Groth and other Oakville Crossroad vineyards seem to have at times.....
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I don't have a lot of experience with it, but Morgon (of the Beaujolais Crus Thad mentioned) always seems the most burgundy-like to me.

Sampled recently an Oregon Pinot Blanc, quite good but there was a touch of appley flavor I didn't like. But otherwise good and quite complex flavors for a reasonable price.

Gary