Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

BBQ.... what is your weapon of choice?

I really enjoy making true low and slow BBQ throughout the year but great spring weather really calls for it. I was curious as to who here on SB cooks BBQ (not grilling) and what they cook on. Over the years I have owned just about every cooker known to man.... as my wife will attest to.

Currently I am using a pair of Big Green Eggs as well as a Cookshack Amerique. Both are great devices.... and have their place in my BBQ world. The BGE's do a great job especially when used with a BBQ Guru for long smokes.... downside is limited capacity. The Amerique many BBQ folks would dis as it is not wood fired... yet it turns out better BBQ than 50% of the entries I judge in competition.

So what are you using for cooking your low and slow BBQ?
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Guru

Cool Re: BBQ.... what is your weapon of choice?

I am apparently not in your league. But I can make some damned good barbecue.

I use an old, large CharBroil charcoal grill, made when they still had the heavy cast iron grates (ca 1989). I usually just build a large fire on one extreme end of the grill and cook my food on the other end with the lid closed. If I have something I want to cook slower, I have the little smoker fire box accessory.

I almost always smoke with hickory from my own trees, sometimes cherry or apple, also from my own trees.

I watch the videos of men burning whole trees and cooking split hogs over the embers, but I don't need that much food. My family is only three people, four when my oldest son is home from college. About the biggest thing I ever cook is a Boston butt. And, none of us like turkey, so I never do that.

I would like to have a large Big Green Egg.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur

Apprentice

Re: BBQ.... what is your weapon of choice?

I use the large BGE and BBQ Guru. Love them both.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    I am apparently not in your league. But I can make some damned good barbecue.

I use an old, large CharBroil charcoal grill, made when they still had the heavy cast iron grates (ca 1989). I usually just build a large fire on one extreme end of the grill and cook my food on the other end with the lid closed. If I have something I want to cook slower, I have the little smoker fire box accessory.

I almost always smoke with hickory from my own trees, sometimes cherry or apple, also from my own trees.

I watch the videos of men burning whole trees and cooking split hogs over the embers, but I don't need that much food. My family is only three people, four when my oldest son is home from college. About the biggest thing I ever cook is a Boston butt. And, none of us like turkey, so I never do that.

I would like to have a large Big Green Egg.

Tim
    Tim, LOL!!! not sure what you mean by my league but let me assure you I am in the minors compared to most avid BBQ addicts . I find it interesting when I judge for KCBS competitions that many of the best cooks are using drum cookers, Weber kettles, Weber Smokey Mountain, old Brinkmans, etc .... the magic is in the cook.... not the equipment in many cases.
    Last edited by cigarnv; 05-23-2012 at 05:39.
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    Tim, LOL!!! not sure what you mean by my league but let me assure you I am in the minors compared to most avid BBQ addicts . I find it interesting when I judge for KCBS competitions that many of the best cooks are using drum cookers, Weber kettles, Weber Smokey Mountain, old Brinkmans, etc .... the magic is in the cook.... not the equipment in many cases.
    I think you have that right, Reid. The butts that Scott (Callmeox), Thad (Tcomp), and Randy (doubleblank) did at Sampler were not cooked on any special looking contraption. But, those boys made one of the tastiest meals many of us had ever had. Melt in your mouth delicious. I've spent the last several weeks since, pining for September KBF so they can do it again! Yes boys, you've been volunteered!!

It's like a car. You can have the most tricked up ride on the road, but if you don't know how to drive it, it's worthless.
    Last edited by smokinjoe; 05-23-2012 at 05:53. Reason: Duh.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Taster

I'm a novice - and a bit on the cheap side as well - but I just got a CharBroil vertical smoker this spring from Wally world. It appealed to me because it wasn't much money, is gas fired, and has a drawer system to make adding more wood easy. I already had the gas cylinders for the regular grill - and I like that gas lets me have a consistent heat for a long smoke.

The ribs I've done have been incredible - nice smoke ring - very moist - and I can hang quite a few full racks in there at one time. I'll be smoking ribs and chickens this weekend and can hardly wait..

It's not built to hand down to my kids or anything, but I have no doubt that it'll produce a lot of great, smokey meat and let me figure out what I like or don't like before spending a lot more on a better unit.
    <"}}}}}}}><

Rich

Connoisseur

I have a CookShack Smokette II that got me started. It's electric and very handy in the sense where as far as smokers go its a set it and forget it. If I'm doing something that will take a long time I'll use that so I can get up early, turn it on, and go back to bed!

Otherwise more often than not I use my Weber Kettle with the Smokenator 1000 insert. I like the results I get from it and I can also use it as a grill so I get to double dip!

http://www.smokenator.com/
    Tim

I am going where streams of whiskey are flowing...

Trippah and Admin

I BBQ on an older style 18" Weber Smokey Mountain (like the one Thad brought to Bardstown) and I've had great success with ribs and shoulder. I need to attend Randy's Brisket Boot Camp one of these days as my efforts there have been substandard.

I recenly cured and smoked a beautiful skin on pork belly for bacon and it turned out very tasty.

I've used just apple and cherry for smoking until I was recently hooked up with some pecan chunks by Wadewood. The bacon was done in a combo of apple and pecan and wasn't overpowering.

For quick smokes like fatties or stuffed jalapeņos, I use an 18" Weber charcoal grill with good results.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Connoisseur

I have a large BGE, which I love. With that said, if I had it to do over again, I might get a Primo, which is essentially the same thing with more surface area. It is oval.

Guru

I have a big flower pot and a hot plate. No joke. Does pretty well. It's big enough to do just about all I need it to do. Brisket, a rack of baby back or spare ribs (cut into two pieces), sausage, even done chicken, turkey legs, and cornish hen. A whole pork shoulder is pushing it, but a half is usually no problem.

It's just me, the wife and the baby, so we always have plenty of leftovers. My favorite is pulled pork tacos. Just wrap some pork in corn tortillas with some salsa verde and Mexican cheese. Simple but very good.

I will occasionally smoke a corned beef brisket. When I first did it I was trying to replicate Pastrami. It doesn't really taste like pastrami, but it does taste good.

For wood I like to mix it up. I am currently using a mix of apple and oak. Good combo so far.
    Last edited by Josh; 05-23-2012 at 07:09.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog