Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 75 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: what bourbon are you enjoying spring 2012 ?

Finishing a FR1B pour then moving to the JPS17 with a la aroma de cuba

Advanced Taster

Just cracked open my first ever Pappy, PVW 20, to celebrate a great Kentucky game tonight. This is some smooth bourbon.

Connoisseur
    Great cookout with neighbors tonight. He likes the dark side stuff but has to mix bourbon normally. Poured him a SB Vat, Taylor Tornado and Ritt BIB all neat. Now I need to lock cabinets when he comes over.

Virtuoso

FRSB and ERSB. Variety is truly the spice of life.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Advanced Taster

It isn't bourbon, but I'm toasting the success of Ohio basketball with some OYO Wheat Whiskey.

Go Muskies!!!

Virtuoso

Just cracked a 1.75 old charter 10 year Louisville bottling from 1995. Solid but am hoping for a little more as it opens up. Anyone very familiar with this bottle?
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cbus View Post
    It isn't bourbon, but I'm toasting the success of Ohio basketball with some OYO Wheat Whiskey.

Go Muskies!!!

How's the OYO? Ive seen it at Weiland's, but couldn't pull the trigger without any word on how it tastes? How old is it supposed to be?

Virtuoso

I'm suckling from the lip of a liter bottle of Louisville WSR (with a glencairn as mediator, of course), and I'm into it. To the best of my sleuthing abilities, it's a S-W distillate bottled in '95. When I first opened it (Saturday), there was a bit of a burnt, bitter aftertaste. I poured it into an 8oz flask and came back to it throughout the day yesterday as I worked on an acquaintance's student film. It tasted pretty good from the flask. Today, it has already showed signs of opening up, though part of that may also be me warming up to the 'burnt corner of the brownie' thing going on.

At 90pf it's a bit hot and lacking the richness of that extra 10-17pf I wish it had on it, but there is something very delicate to it. It has much more complexity than the WSR 7/90 Binny's chose last year. Of course, it's hard not to let the fact that it's S-W (er, UD w/ UPC 88076, but S-W made as far as I can tell) influence my feelings about it, but I'm also evaluating it because I know where to find more at a great price.

My bargain bottles tend to languish while I sop up the bigger players, but I think this stuff is more special than most.

Edit: I just realized it's not Spring yet. Yeah, the weather feels like summer out there, but come on! Let's keep some order here, folks!
    Last edited by AaronWF; 03-19-2012 at 16:51. Reason: WTH?? It ain't Spring!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

I also have one bottled in '95, and I also got a weird, unpleasant aftertaste at first. It's been open now for a few weeks and it's improved tremendously. The next weird taste to appear was a bit of burnt rubber, but that also disappeared and now it's all thick, chewy mouthfeel and deep brown sugar with a bit of spice.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I'm suckling on the lip of a liter bottle of Louisville WSR (with a glencairn as mediator, of course), and I'm into it. To the best of my sleuthing abilities, it's a S-W distillate bottled in '95. When I first opened it (Saturday), there was a bit of a burnt, bitter aftertaste. I poured it into an 8oz flask and came back to it throughout the day yesterday as I worked on an acquaintance's student film. It tasted pretty good from the flask. Today, it has already showed signs of opening up, though part of that may also be me warming up to the 'burnt corner of the brownie' thing going on.

At 90pf it's a bit hot and lacking the richness of that extra 10-17pf I wish it had on it, but there is something very delicate to it. It has much more complexity than the WSR 7/90 Binny's chose last year. Of course, it's hard not to let the fact that it's S-W (er, UD w/ UPC 88076, but S-W made as far as I can tell) influence my feelings about it, but I'm also evaluating it because I know where to find more at a great price.

My bargain bottles tend to languish while I sop up the bigger players, but I think this stuff is more special than most.

Edit: I just realized it's not Spring yet. Yeah, the weather feels like summer out there, but come on! Let's keep some order here, folks!

Connoisseur

Beautiful evening in the n. Ga mtns. Sippin' on my EWSB '00 with a Short Story in hand.