Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 75 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: what bourbon are you enjoying spring 2012 ?

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    The thermometer read 91 on the back porch yesterday. Spring is over and Summer is here.

Last night was a lovely evening and my friends and I shared some Taylor Tornado, Pappy 15, Michter's 10yr sb, and finished with a pour of 4R LE 2011. On this night, surprisingly we preferred the Tornado and the Michter's to the Pappy by a little and the 4R was least favored.
    Doesn't surprise me that at 91 outside you prefered bottles that were lower proof.
    You can find me in chat most nights on days ending with the letter y!

Connoisseur

Strange how some nights your palate is just off. Poured a small pour each of Kahn's EC12 and SB Blend. The nose of the EC was spice, with cherry lingering in the background. A second, deeper nosing reveals more of the fruit with eucalytus and mint now as well. I'm not picking up any vanilla, caramel, or wood on the nose. Then I taste and am overwhelmed with wood, too much wood. Strange, I've never felt of EC12 as being too woody, just my palate tonight.

Then on to the SB Blend. Still getting cherry on the nose, but not as pronounced as with the EC. Again, a strange lack of vanilla, brown sugar, etc. I drink it and am happy to not have the crazy wood like the EC, but it is still just "off". I had a small pour of this earlier this week and it was a beautiful combination of sweet brown sugar and spice, cherry/dark fruit-but less than tonight, adding to the complexity vs dominating, rich mouthfeel with a nice long finish, balance of bold flavor and smoothness of age, just right. Hard to explain, they both just taste different than they usually do, and neither for the better.

Drinking Irish tomorrow, hopefully Sunday will bring with it a refreshed bourbon palate.

Advanced Taster

BT, OWA, now some Pappy 15 with a nice Cuban. MIght hit up some FR1B next. Gotta love June weather in March.

Virtuoso

Binny's ETL for the night. Looking forward to a restful weekend.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Enthusiast
    In order of preference for the evening

GTS 2011
    Col. EH Taylor Sour Mash
    Ritt BIB
    WRDO
    Ezra B SB 12

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by sailor22 View Post
    Last night was a lovely evening and my friends and I shared some Taylor Tornado, Pappy 15, Michter's 10yr sb, and finished with a pour of 4R LE 2011. On this night, surprisingly we preferred the Tornado and the Michter's to the Pappy by a little and the 4R was least favored.
    Sounds like any expensive (and wonderful) night!

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    Is this thread about the weather, or bourbon?
    Both! They go hand in hand. Anytime you've got weather, its a good time for bourbon.

Quote Originally Posted by kyrocklover View Post
    In honor of Justified, I am having Elmer T Lee.
    YES! Justified! Best show on TV at the moment? (I thought it was interesting last week when the band in the beginning was singing about Jack + Coke when its set in Kentucky... I haven't spent much time in either state but I assumed their was a great deal of pride about their respective whiskeys)

Oh, and tonight I'm enjoying the last of my 1792. Good stuff.
    Whiskey is man's attempt at Heaven.

Enthusiast

Staying at a cabin with 9 good friends. We're drinking FR OESO, BMH, and Pappy 15. Very nice evening.

Advanced Taster

Opened a Weller 12 yr last night. Good start to the weekend!

Last night, while enjoying the lovely 60-something degrees it was in the Cleveland area, I poured some Glenlivet 12 and followed it with WT 101 (Oh, the joys of being a college student with little $). It's interesting to see how one pour can affect your palate for anything that follows it. I've had plenty of Turkey in my time, but I noticed things about it last night that I never have before.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by SirBlend12 View Post
    Last night, while enjoying the lovely 60-something degrees it was in the Cleveland area, I poured some Glenlivet 12 and followed it with WT 101 (Oh, the joys of being a college student with little $). It's interesting to see how one pour can affect your palate for anything that follows it. I've had plenty of Turkey in my time, but I noticed things about it last night that I never have before.
    It does seem that Bourbon is usually richer, deeper, sweeter and more complex when it follows a pour of Scotch doesn't it?