Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 52 of 75 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: what bourbon are you enjoying spring 2012 ?

Can one whiskey just abaolutely kill your pallate? After being subjected to a blind taste test rhat included Eagle Rare 10, Woodford Distillers Select, Yamazaki 12, and Bowmore Islay 12, I tried to get the taste of of Scotch out of my mouth first with some OWA, then some EC12 and finally gave up after my KCSB tasted odd as well. (Nothing seems to be able to wash away the iodine and band aids taste of Islay)

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    Can one whiskey just abaolutely kill your pallate? After being subjected to a blind taste test rhat included Eagle Rare 10, Woodford Distillers Select, Yamazaki 12, and Bowmore Islay 12, I tried to get the taste of of Scotch out of my mouth first with some OWA, then some EC12 and finally gave up after my KCSB tasted odd as well. (Nothing seems to be able to wash away the iodine and band aids taste of Islay)
    I believe you were looking for milk...

I think it's entirely possible that tasting something like Islay scotch could spoil your palate for bourbons you usually like in that same night.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post

I think it's entirely possible that tasting something like Islay scotch could spoil your palate for bourbons you usually like in that same night.
    I made the mistake of serving hot salsa and chips with bourbon a few weeks ago, and milk indeed was the remedy. I wish I had pictures of that!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post

Now for spicy or acidic foods I would have thought of milk. Have to keep that in mind.

Guess my palate is not "sophisticated" enough for Islay. I seem too entrenched in the bourbon world to be lured over to the dark side.

Virtuoso

Last evening was a Bowman SB 14YO followed by a 2008 ORVW 10/107 from 2008 that tastes like a vanilla bomb.... one of the best I have had!!
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Quote Originally Posted by JayMonster View Post
    I know how you feel I had that happen to me at the sampler nasty stuff.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Trippah and Admin

I rolled up the evening with a pour of the Curtis/Hightower FRSB while in chat last night.

Just a stellar bottle, top to bottom.
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    I rolled up the evening with a pour of the Curtis/Hightower FRSB while in chat last night.

Just a stellar bottle, top to bottom.
    One of the best Four Roses..... !!!
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Connoisseur

Some of the damage from yesterday. A marathon of a tasting at dridge11's place with yountvillewjs. Probably worked our way through 10 dusty minis, 10 or so samples and a bunch of other goodies. A great way to spend memorial day!

Disciple

a JRPS 17yr Mint Julep on this sunny Memorial Day . . . don't know if it's sacreligel, but it's the best damn julep I've ever had.
    Correction: the 2009 WLW Julep I just made is the best damn julep ever - listening to Led Zeppelin IV on vinyl while sweeping my outdoors patio . . . holiday indeed!
    Last edited by funknik; 05-28-2012 at 15:08.
    "A person can work up a mean, mean thirst after a hard day of nothing much at all . . . "

Andy