Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

So why do like you Bourbon better than Scotch?

There are some similar threads to this on the board, but not exactly this particular question. What is it about Bourbon that makes you prefer it? What taste component..etc caused you to prefer it over Scotch...or is it simply economics.

For me I think it is threefold..and I was a Scotch only drinker for a while (still like many Single malts):

1) Economics..at least in the U.S. I can get high quality bourbon for much less than the cost of a good bottle of Scotch.

2) It's Made in America.

3) I went on a diet and cut out dessert pretty much. I discovered that Bourbon really satisfies my sweet tooth. I used to think that Bourbon was one-dimensional..just sweet, but now I feel that frequently it is actually more complex than Scotch. Sometimes the complexity is more subtle and takes some time.

Taster

Re: So why do like you Bourbon better than Scotch?

I don't.

Virtuoso

As with many things in life things I enjoy they are different rather than better... this is the case of bourbon and scotch.... neither is better, they are just different...
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Enthusiast

For me it is a matter of pride and $$$. I've never been much of a scotch drinker, so I'm sure there are ones that I might enjoy. But I do get a kick out of giving friends (that are scotch drinkers) a bottle of ER17 as a gift and telling them that a comparable quality bottle of scotch would be $500.

I also love telling snobby scotch drinkers that if I wanted my whiskey to taste like that, all I would have to do is grab a handful of garden soil and drop it in my glass
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Connoisseur
    I have tried many times to like Scotch. I have a good friend from Glascow and tried some good bottles but for me it simply comes down to taste preference. I do not like the peat or smoke at all. I have a bottle of Glen Rothes that I believe Chuck discussed in a blog that I am eager to try but I need to make it through the Macallan 18 and Amrut before I open a new Scotch.

I do tend to choose bourbon over other spirits because as a general rule it goes down neat better than any other with maybe the exception of high end tequila (my second favorite).

That is the reason why it choose it for taste. I tend to choose it for more sublime reasons as well. The history of the spirit and tradition is what has lead me have a passion for it. Passion is maybe not the right term, sickness is better. What was Chuck's term for it?

I think this forum also has subliminal messages built in from from the big guys causing us to empty our wallets on the juice time after time. I can't tell you the number of times I put myself on a buying freeze only to be heading south to KY for lunch or after work on a mission to find something new. I know from other posts that I am not alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Ejmharris View Post

That is the reason why it choose it for taste. I tend to choose it for more sublime reasons as well. The history of the spirit and tradition is what has lead me have a passion for it. Passion is maybe not the right term, sickness is better. What was Chuck's term for it?
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...hlight=nervosa

Yep, sounds like a acute case to me. Sad to see another succomb so quickly to the disease.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by BFerguson View Post
    http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...hlight=nervosa

Yep, sounds like a acute case to me. Sad to see another succomb so quickly to the disease.

B
    At least at this stage, I am glad you are still an enabler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disciple

I could give a lot of reasons why I think I like bourbon better, but the fact is I started trying higher quality bourbons at the same time I was stuck with JW Red as my scotch. Thus I developed a taste for the bourbon, and scotch got left behind.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Ejmharris View Post
    I do tend to choose bourbon over other spirits because as a general rule it goes down neat better than any other with maybe the exception of high end tequila (my second favorite).
    I agree with the sentiment about the history and story that go along with bourbon. The intellectual pursuit is certainly a big part of my appreciation.

I didn't realize you're a tequila drinker. I've had a few well aged tequilas that I enjoyed (after many attempts to enjoy younger tequilas with no success). Any recommendations for reasonably priced well aged tequilas? A couple friends are into sipping tequilas as well; we could attempt to organize a local tequila tasting as well if you're interested. If we wait until it's a bit warmer we could sample some pipe tobacco or cigars as well.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

For me it's simple.... that smell and taste of Scotch makes me want to thow up .... so I avoid it at all costs.