Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What bottle(s) do you find yourself reaching for?

I currently have about a dozen open bottles and I can honestly say that I like something about all of them (those that I don't like get set out at parties). Nevertheless, I find that some are on the fast track to the recycling bin (including TPS FR OBSK, Bowman 18 bourbon, and Saz 18) while others (like Bernheim and OWA) are only enjoyed occasionally.

What are your current go-to pours and what bottles (that you do actually enjoy) are languishing in the back of your cabinet?

Connoisseur
    Go to:
    OWA
    Taylor tornado
    Weller 12

Languishing:
    Mb Roland black dog. Only because I can stand to drink the last glass

Connoisseur

Re: What bottle(s) do you find yourself reaching for?

This is tough, because I have some... quirky... habits when it comes to my bourbon drinking.

For sure, Maker's 46 and Maker's Mark are getting far less attention than they used to. And I have a bottle of Eagle Rare 10 that I have been meaning to get around to trying, but have so far found reasons not to open it "just yet" and thus it sits, an unintentional cohort in my bunker with a pair of Pappy 20s (that I don't plan on opening anytime soon).

But some like my ORVW 10/107 are not enjoyed nearly as much as I would like to, because of the difficulty replacing it, so I push that back as a "special occasion" bourbon.

I don't reach for the higher octane stufff like KCSB, WTRB, or Bookers (and the same will almost certainly hold true for Stagg) unless it is a Friday or Saturday night and I don't have an early appointment somewhere the next day, so they are not really languishing, but yet, not really my "go to" stuff on a regular basis. And Devil's Cut is my "after bowling" bourbon on Thursday, and doesn't get much of a look any other time.

I have actually found myself reaching for the Jim Beam Black 7/90 fairly regularly since I picked it up, not because I think it is all that, but more along the lines of I want to just be done with it already. I have a finite amount of space for open stuff, and until this is gone, I can't replace it with a new bottle of the 8/86 which for some odd reason I actually prefer. And of course
    OWA still gets a regular turn as well as the standard Knob Creek.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by c2walker View Post
    I currently have about a dozen open bottles
    Just a dozen? Slacker!

I've been hitting up the Wellers pretty hard lately. Those and FR1B.

Connoisseur

my go to pours at the moment would be:
    JPS17 and EWSB '00.
    I have been trying to knock out some ER 10/90 for a while now, but can't really say I have been reaching for it. ]

Enthusiast

I keep reaching for the 4R1B and PVW15. It's easy to drink the Pappy now that I know there is more on the way in a few weeks.
    -SOB-

Virtuoso

Well I REACH for the PVW 15, PVW 20 and 2011 WLW... but ultimately force myself to drink something like Knob Creek or some scotch. I just hate to see those two PVW's and the WLW slowly disappear!

Connoisseur

Over the past few weeks I have been regularly drinking the below, I guess you could call me a wheater fan!

OWA
    Weller 12
    WSR 7
    50/50 OWA & Weller 12
    VWSR Lot B 12 yr
    WLW 2010

Wheaters and BIB's.

As most of you know, I'm a lover of wheated bourbons. What can I say? I may not be the Weller whore that I once was, but I still have enough in my bunker to keep me afloat for a while. I also have a fondness for BIB's/101 proofers. Right now I have sixteen bottles open on my cabinet. Half are wheaters or BIB's/101's.

My open wheater, BIB/101 proof list:

95 SW Weller 12 SB
    95 SW Weller 12 SB (yes two different ones)
    ORVW 10/90
    2010 PHC 10 year old wheated 124.2 proof
    Weller Centennial Louisville
    AA BIB
    EW BIB
    ER 101 Frankfort

I will have a pour of something different from time to time when and if the mood strikes me, but generally, my first instinct is to reach for a wheater or BIB/101 proofer.

Cheers! Joe
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Guru

Cool Re: What bottle(s) do you find yourself reaching for?

I am generally an "everyday pour" sort of drinker. I normally reach for either Wild Turkey 101 or Old Grand Dad 86.

Tim
    Self-Styled Whisky Connoisseur