Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Connoisseur

Re: Interesting Bourbon Infusion Experiment

I haven't thought about it before but it may pay to squeeze the apples after they are removed.

Hey sounds like an interesting infusion. I did a much more basic one recently, using orange peels in some FR, I was real happy with it.

Disclaimer, I am not an expert, but my understanding is the way hydrometers work is by measuring density. Since alcohol is less dense than water the less dense a mixture the higher proof it would show. By adding solids, perhaps they increased the density in addition to some of the alcohol being absorbed into the fruit. The addition of sugars and such from the fruit would cause the hydrometer no longer to be accurate. I would guess that the proof went down, but probably not as much as the hydrometer indicates.

For proofing items with sugars typically you need a proofing still or an ebulliometer.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by tommyj1986 View Post
    Hey sounds like an interesting infusion. I did a much more basic one recently, using orange peels in some FR, I was real happy with it.

Disclaimer, I am not an expert, but my understanding is the way hydrometers work is by measuring density. Since alcohol is less dense than water the less dense a mixture the higher proof it would show. By adding solids, perhaps they increased the density in addition to some of the alcohol being absorbed into the fruit. The addition of sugars and such from the fruit would cause the hydrometer no longer to be accurate. I would guess that the proof went down, but probably not as much as the hydrometer indicates.

For proofing items with sugars typically you need a proofing still or an ebulliometer.
    This could be true. The infusion is cloudy which may indicate the presence of solids.

Later: I decided to try this again with Early Times Mint Julip and it indicates that it is NON-ALCOHOLIC. Hmmmm.... Don't really remember what I measured before but my statement above (now erased) was wrong. The sugars and solids may prove my whole premise is wrong. It does taste weaker and the apples bitter. The next time I make one I'm going to see if the apples will burn.
    Last edited by Enoch; 03-25-2012 at 16:16.