Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: What rye are you enjoying Spring 2012?

Quote Originally Posted by MrAtomic View Post
    I had a nice rye surprise last night. We went to a dumpy local karaoke bar that I've been to at least 30 times before, but this time I noticed a bottle of Hirsch 13 Year Old Rye among the bourbons. It was shaped like a PVW/VWFRR bottle with a white label, red "Hirsch" script and a black wax top. Happily, the whiskey tasted very much like older bottlings of VWFRR. The bottle was 1/3 full when we got there, and empty when we left.

The best part was that after tasting the Hirsch, my wife canceled her order for a glass of white wine and asked me to get her a pour of the rye. We sat at the bar drinking it neat, serenaded by some of the worst drunken karaoke I've ever heard. A good night.
    I've never seen that Hirsch label. However, I can relate to emptying rare finds at restaurants and bars. Drained a VWFRR with some friends in Frankfort last fall.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    Sipping on 'the anchorman' AKA Ritt21 - it's kind of a big deal.
    I bought one tonight. Barrel #21.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by spinningrecords View Post
    I've never seen that Hirsch label. However, I can relate to emptying rare finds at restaurants and bars. Drained a VWFRR with some friends in Frankfort last fall.
    Found this good old thread about the Hirsch 13 yo rye. Looks like you founda gem. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ead.php?t=6830

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by redbear View Post
    Found this good old thread about the Hirsch 13 yo rye. Looks like you founda gem. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ead.php?t=6830

Redbear, thanks very much for unearthing that old thread about Hirsch 13 rye. And yes, I think it was a gem. Sipping it really reminded me of my first taste of VWFRR. The VWFRR and Hirsch 13 are rich and very spicy, yet retain some bourbon-y sweetness that sets them apart from any other rye I've had the opportunity to taste. There is minimal alcohol burn after swallowing, too. The smoothness and complexity of the VWFRR and Hirsch 13 really floor me, and it's some of my favorite whiskey. A shame it's so hard to find.

The bar in which I found the Hirsch 13 is a little, uh, freewheeling, so I asked the bartender if he had any more bottles of the rye stashed in the basement that he might want to part with. No dice. But he did turn up a half-full bottle of BHC Old Charter Proprietor's Reserve. It was pretty tasteless, maybe because it'd been open for so long, maybe because I was drinking it right after that gorgeous Hirsch 13.

It was a good reminder that tasty bottles lurk in the least likely of places.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by spinningrecords View Post
    Thanks the tasting notes. I'm starting on a BMH 23-year rye and I've got the Willett 24-year sediment-soaked rye waiting in the wings.
    SpinningRecords, if you have a chance, let us know what you think of these ryes.

LikeItWasSodaPop, thanks very much for your tasting notes on the BMH 23. My memory is that the BMH 23 was pretty darned woody, but still an extremely enjoyable whiskey. Is yours topped with silver wax?

Connoisseur

Rittenhouse BIB is my favorite but I haven't been able to restock it, this being Ohio. Fortunately, a friend of a friend has promised to bring a couple of bottles from Binny's. There was, however, a WT 101 Rye at the back of my cabinet. I don't remember enjoying it this much in the past. Tastes like mint tea with honey.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

The other night I did Ritt BIB, Saz Jr, Ritt 23, and Handy in that order. The Ritt 23 was star of the night.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by yountvillewjs View Post
    A relatively local liquor store (Bottle Barn) has the 5-yr at the same price as Costco has the 3. I was shocked.
    Oh yeah, that's where I got my 4 year. I love Bottle Barn (especially their FR1B); I've been going there for years. I grew up in Petaluma and my parents still live there, it's just hard to justify going farther North sometimes.

Connoisseur

Just opened a Willett 4 year. First time I've come across it. First pour in the Glencairn is great. I bet this stuff makes a killer old fashioned.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by DaveOfAtl View Post
    Just opened a Willett 4 year. First time I've come across it. First pour in the Glencairn is great. I bet this stuff makes a killer old fashioned.
    Can't speak to that, but it makes a killer Manhattan. Cask strength.