Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Re: What rye are you enjoying Spring 2012?

On vacation near Myrtle Beach, SC, my carefully packed VWFRR made the trip intact, but it did not fare as well last night. After only pouring himself one drink of the rye (over ice, btw), my cousin went back to his bottle of Rebel Yell for the rest of the evening. There's about 1/4 of the VWFRR left today. Usually, I pour from many bottle in an evening, and I wasn't really aware that it can add up to 3/4 of a bottle...

The RY actually wasn't that bad. The small taste I had of it was not offensive. Wasn't very good (reminded me of a younger, more paint thinner-y Maker's), but it wasn't as nasty as I've been led to believe.

The VWFRR was, of course, really, really good. I would have preferred to drink less of it last night, but whattaya gonna do?
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Advanced Taster

Well done, Aaron. Well done.

I feel like we need a term for the debauched process of drinking way too much of an amazing whiskey in one night.

I might suggest the term: "AaronWF'd."

As in: "Oh, man, Bob opened that bottle of VVOF the other night. At first he was sipping small pours but they kept getting progressively larger such that when he woke up the next morning, he realized that he totally AaronWF'd that bottle. So he's been on eBay obsessively looking for another ..."

Keep in mind, this is not a pejorative term -- it's an honorable term. To have AWF'd a bottle is to have drunk deeply, soulfully, and well.

I plan to AWF -- with AWF -- some serious shit in a few weeks at my wedding. A Willett 24 rye comes to mind!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by LikeItWasSodaPop View Post

I feel like we need a term for the debauched process of drinking way too much of an amazing whiskey in one night.

As in: "Oh, man, Bob opened that bottle of VVOF the other night. At first he was sipping small pours but they kept getting progressively larger such that when he woke up the next morning, he realized that he totally AaronWF'd that bottle. So he's been on eBay obsessively looking for another ..."

Keep in mind, this is not a pejorative term -- it's an honorable term. To have AWF'd a bottle is to have drunk deeply, soulfully, and well.

I plan to AWF -- with AWF -- some serious shit in a few weeks at my wedding. A Willett 24 rye comes to mind!
    Willett 24!? Wedding in a few weeks? Congrats, Soda-man. Have fun and best wishes to you and your partner!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Advanced Taster

Thanks. It's June 30, and I'm marrying up, as they say. By which I mean she's smarter and better looking than me. So I'm a lucky dude.

We're working on the cocktail menu now. Future sister-in-law made a rhubarb shrub that pairs deliciously with the Party Source Willett 5 year, so that may be the rye my guests will be enjoying Summer 2012.

Connoisseur

Soda, congratulations on the wedding and condolences on that bottle of Willett 24 that will be emptied. Wait, is that the other way around,...condolences on the wedding and congrats on the Willett? Now I'm confusing myself. Just kidding, congratulations on both and best wishes to you and your future wife.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 05-24-2012 at 08:53.

Connoisseur

I just poured a Rittenhouse 100 in honor of my 100th post.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 05-25-2012 at 19:32.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by LikeItWasSodaPop View Post

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    I just poured a Rittenhouse 100 in honor of my 100th post.
    Congrats Will. Glad to have you here.

Connoisseur

Dipped into some vintage 21 last night. Damn fine stuff, probably one of my favorite ryes right behind VWFRR.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

A bit of Knob Creek Rye to get my palate primed before we head out for Thai food.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama