Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What rye are you enjoying Spring 2012?

I have noticed the same thing re saz 18. After a few minutes in the glass it does seem to gain a little bit of weight and nose back but not as much as when it was first opened. I also find that the Glencairn really helps the saz 18 where you might lose some stuff if consumed in a standard tumbler.

Having the VWFRR open right next to it isnt helping its case either. I opened a fresh bottle from the 2011 release last week and now its almost half gone!

Enthusiast

A simple Willett 4 year today. I love this stuff; the high proof makes it so much more interesting than Bulliet Rye. A rich, thick spice bomb.

Virtuoso

Love that willett rye!
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Connoisseur

Sipping on 'the anchorman' AKA Ritt21 - it's kind of a big deal.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    Love that willett rye!
    I wish Costco would get some new bottles. I already bunkered the 3 year that they have. I want cheap 4 and 5!

Advanced Taster

I had a nice rye surprise last night. We went to a dumpy local karaoke bar that I've been to at least 30 times before, but this time I noticed a bottle of Hirsch 13 Year Old Rye among the bourbons. It was shaped like a PVW/VWFRR bottle with a white label, red "Hirsch" script and a black wax top. Happily, the whiskey tasted very much like older bottlings of VWFRR. The bottle was 1/3 full when we got there, and empty when we left.

The best part was that after tasting the Hirsch, my wife canceled her order for a glass of white wine and asked me to get her a pour of the rye. We sat at the bar drinking it neat, serenaded by some of the worst drunken karaoke I've ever heard. A good night.

Enthusiast

Just bought Overholt for the first time, and I really, really like it!
    "With your bitch slap rappin' and your cocaine tongue, you get nothin' done"

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MrAtomic View Post
    I had a nice rye surprise last night. We went to a dumpy local karaoke bar that I've been to at least 30 times before, but this time I noticed a bottle of Hirsch 13 Year Old Rye among the bourbons. It was shaped like a PVW/VWFRR bottle with a white label, red "Hirsch" script and a black wax top. Happily, the whiskey tasted very much like older bottlings of VWFRR. The bottle was 1/3 full when we got there, and empty when we left.

The best part was that after tasting the Hirsch, my wife canceled her order for a glass of white wine and asked me to get her a pour of the rye. We sat at the bar drinking it neat, serenaded by some of the worst drunken karaoke I've ever heard. A good night.
    Amazing find!!!!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by dohidied View Post
    I wish Costco would get some new bottles. I already bunkered the 3 year that they have. I want cheap 4 and 5!
    A relatively local liquor store (Bottle Barn) has the 5-yr at the same price as Costco has the 3. I was shocked.
    tl; dnr

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by MrAtomic View Post
    I'm currently drinking some 24 YO Willett Rye that was bottled for BevMo a few years ago. It's... challenging. For starters, there is a lot of sediment swirling around in the bottle -- much more than in BTAC whiskies. After pouring some into a glass, the nose doesn't give up a lot of information. Taken neat, the woodiness stomps all over the other flavors. Some added water brings out more familiar rye tastes like spearmint and nutmeg, along with some grassiness. It's much more enjoyable with water. Overall, a very interesting bottle, although nothing I could drink every day. It's just a bit too oaky for me.

I had a bottle of BMH 23 Rye a couple of years ago. The Willett reminds me a bit of the BMH (at least, as I remember it), but with the wood intensity cranked up to 11. I'd really like to taste the Willett alongside some other older ryes, like a Saz 18, a Rittenhouse 21/23/25, and the Vintage 21 and 23. It'd be interesting to see how much woodier the Willett is than other bottlings in a similar age bracket.
    Thanks the tasting notes. I'm starting on a BMH 23-year rye and I've got the Willett 24-year sediment-soaked rye waiting in the wings.