Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: What rye are you enjoying Spring 2012?

Had a small pour of the Willett 5yr tonight while tending the grill for dinner. Helped to take the chill out of the early evening air.

This one really reminds me of Bulleit Rye, by ramped up a bit. It doesn't quite resemble what I remember of the 4yr bottles, but very good none the less.

It really had more of a intense rye taste, with a bit a pine, than the 4yr. But the 4yr seemed to have more "depth" in its overall taste, if that makes any sense.

I'll still give it a solid recommend to buy.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Connoisseur

I just walked in the door from a long day at the office and poured the High West 36th Vote Barreled Manhattan. It uses the HW Double Rye which is a good choice as the spiciness plays very nicely against the sweet vermouth. Being barreled makes it seem a bit more integrated and suitable to my taste. A chilled bottle from the refrigerator may just become my drink this Summer.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 04-10-2012 at 18:47.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by BFerguson View Post
    Had a small pour of the Willett 5yr tonight while tending the grill for dinner. Helped to take the chill out of the early evening air.

This one really reminds me of Bulleit Rye, by ramped up a bit. It doesn't quite resemble what I remember of the 4yr bottles, but very good none the less.

It really had more of a intense rye taste, with a bit a pine, than the 4yr. But the 4yr seemed to have more "depth" in its overall taste, if that makes any sense.

I'll still give it a solid recommend to buy.

B
    So given the choice which one would go into your bunker, the 4 or the 5?
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    So given the choice which one would go into your bunker, the 4 or the 5?
    At this point, I'd give the nod to the 4yr. The barrel that was mostly around me, 1122, was really good. I think i've got 5-6 of them stashed already.

I also need more time with the 5. I haven't gone through more than 1/4 of a bottle. It's still early in the game.

Maybe tonight the 4yr gets opened, i have a little spot available for it on the bar.

B
    Last edited by BFerguson; 04-11-2012 at 14:36.

Virtuoso

Bowman barrel proof rye with a few friends.... now this is great rye..
    "The most futile and disastrous day seems well spent when it is reviewed through the blue, fragrant smoke of a Havana Cigar"

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by cigarnv View Post
    Bowman barrel proof rye with a few friends.... now this is great rye..
    It sure is - and good whiskey tastes even better when sharing with friends. In my first taste of the Bowman last week, I was amazed by much better than its younger sibling (Handy) it was.

Connoisseur

At this point, I'd give the nod to the 4yr. The barrel that was mostly around me, 1122, was really good. I think i've got 5-6 of them stashed already.

I also need more time with the 5. I haven't gone through more than 1/4 of a bottle. It's still early in the game.

Maybe tonight the 4yr gets opened, i have a little spot available for it on the bar.

B
    Confirmed. I'll give the nod to the 4yr. It definitely seems to be the better of the two. Greater depth, a bit more sweetness, just a better all around.

Granted, we're talking a single barrel to another single barrel, so your experience may vary.

B

Connoisseur

Had a pour of 2011 Saz 18 tonight. This bottle has been open roughly 4 months. While it is still very good and complex, it definitely has lost some concentration since being opened. The nose is still there and palate is stacked with spice and fruit flavors..... But the mid palate seems a little hollow, lacking some body. Maybe this is the result of being tanked for the past 7 years or so or just typical of older rye......not sure.

Virtuoso

Confirmed. I'll give the nod to the 4yr. It definitely seems to be the better of the two. Greater depth, a bit more sweetness, just a better all around.

Granted, we're talking a single barrel to another single barrel, so your experience may vary.

B
    I have an 1122 and can't agree with you enough. I'll have to track down some more.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Tico View Post
    Had a pour of 2011 Saz 18 tonight. This bottle has been open roughly 4 months. While it is still very good and complex, it definitely has lost some concentration since being opened. The nose is still there and palate is stacked with spice and fruit flavors..... But the mid palate seems a little hollow, lacking some body. Maybe this is the result of being tanked for the past 7 years or so or just typical of older rye......not sure.
    I've been noticing the same thing. I've got maybe 1/5 of a bottle to go - and it is just not very interesting anymore. Sacrilegious, but I'm thinking about pouring that last bit off into a Manhattan and giving that spot on the bar to something more exciting.
    tl; dnr