Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Vintage Bourbon 17 2012

I cracked open my newly purchased Vintage Bourbon 17 because I wanted to put to rest a few floating rumors.

It's most definitely a wheated bourbon. On the nose it shares some similarities to S-W but it's faint. My tasting notes are rich deep caramel and vanilla with very little spice. It has extremely smooth edges and has no heat or burn on either the arrival or finish.

I compared this to the following:

• Pappy 20 Sample (thanks to Luther.r for the sample)
    • 81' BIB Old Fitz Sample (thanks to Luther.r for the sample)
    • PHC 4th Edition Wheated Sample (thanks to Luther.r for the sample)
    • JPS 18 Batch 25
    • Pappy 15 from 2008
    So based on both math and flavor profile I don't think this is S-W juice. It could be Bernheim. It's very good and the price range here in Dallas, TX is around 54 bux.

The Berheim original I have is too young to really compare the nose and flavor so it didn't compare very well.

I would love top hear any other thoughts or opinions on this year's release of Vintage Bourbon 17; that is if any one has picked it up yet?

Of course I emailed KBD, but I seriously doubt they'll give me any sort of answer.
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

Virtuoso

Re: Vintage Bourbon 17 2012

Love this juice. I have a bottle that I'm dying to open, just can't justify it currently with 30+ open bottles on the shelf right now. Now that's an alcohol problem!

Disciple

Current Vintage 17 is a wheater, and it was distilled at pre-HH Bernheim.

Comparing it to Bernheim Original, as you suggest, would not show you too much, as that is a Str8 Wheat Whiskey, and not a wheated Bourbon.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightNoChaser View Post
    Love this juice. I have a bottle that I'm dying to open, just can't justify it currently with 30+ open bottles on the shelf right now. Now that's an alcohol problem!
    The people with real alcohol problems are the ones without any open bottles, because the contents don't last for more than a few hours!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by StraightNoChaser View Post
    Seems we're both in the same alcoholic dilemma . I have approximately 30 bottles open so I started bunkering the rest. However...I just had to know about VB17 so i bought a 2nd and opened it. It was worth it.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    I cracked open my newly purchased Vintage Bourbon 17 because I wanted to put to rest a few floating rumors.

It's most definitely a wheated bourbon. On the nose it shares some similarities to S-W but it's faint. My tasting notes are rich deep caramel and vanilla with very little spice. It has extremely smooth edges and has no heat or burn on either the arrival or finish.

I compared this to the following:
    • Pappy 20 Sample (thanks to Luther.r for the sample)
    • 81' BIB Old Fitz Sample (thanks to Luther.r for the sample)
    • PHC 4th Edition Wheated Sample (thanks to Luther.r for the sample)
    • JPS 18 Batch 25
    • Pappy 15 from 2008
    So based on both math and flavor profile I don't think this is S-W juice. It could be Bernheim. It's very good and the price range here in Dallas, TX is around 54 bux.

The Berheim original I have is too young to really compare the nose and flavor so it didn't compare very well.

I would love top hear any other thoughts or opinions on this year's release of Vintage Bourbon 17; that is if any one has picked it up yet?

Of course I emailed KBD, but I seriously doubt they'll give me any sort of answer.
    i need to be friends with Luther.r

with the exception of the phc wheater, are you doing your comparision with the thought that all of the other bourbon you tasted is 100% SW distillate? for example, how was the vintage 17yo compared to the jprs 18? for what it's worth, i think vintage 17 is bernheim. it's excellent bourbon. i'd take it over the current lot b pappy anytime - it's about the same price and much easier to obtain. for now anyway. i'm going to bunker a few more bottles.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Neat View Post
    i need to be friends with Luther.r

with the exception of the phc wheater, are you doing your comparision with the thought that all of the other bourbon you tasted is 100% SW distillate? for example, how was the vintage 17yo compared to the jprs 18? for what it's worth, i think vintage 17 is bernheim. it's excellent bourbon. i'd take it over the current lot b pappy anytime - it's about the same price and much easier to obtain. for now anyway. i'm going to bunker a few more bottles.
    JPS 18 BLOWS VB17 into tiny unseen fragments! Seriously, no contest. VB17 is very good and it's miles better than current LotB. When I tasted JPS 18 I closed my eyes, smiled wide and said "DAMN good whiskey!" VB17 was just under PVW15 for me. JPS 18 is on par with PVW15 (for me.) I just wish JPS was a little cheaper. VB17 is VERY affordable so, you'd better believe I am going to get a few more if I can.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    Current Vintage 17 is a wheater, and it was distilled at pre-HH Bernheim.
    Is there a way tell current bottlings from previous ones?
    The liver is evil. It must be punished...

Connoisseur

It is certainly bunkerable!! I've currently got one opened which has been very good. It has this really sweet softness that I savor in a good wheater.

In adddition to what I have stashed of this, I plan to add more.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Phil T View Post
    Is there a way tell current bottlings from previous ones?
    Some have said the earlier rye-recipe Vintage 17 had a different shade of green wax, but I've never seen one in person.