Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 47
  1. #31
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    103

    Re: Vintage Bourbon 17 2012

    Here is a truly poor phone picture of the two fonts - but it's good enough for you to see the difference. The two bottles are exactly the same except for the fonts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    <"}}}}}}}><

    Rich

  2. #32
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mesquite, TX
    Posts
    619

    Re: Vintage Bourbon 17 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Wall Eye View Post
    Here is a truly poor phone picture of the two fonts - but it's good enough for you to see the difference. The two bottles are exactly the same except for the fonts.
    ugh! I prefer the regular font (right). So is the one on the left a much older release?
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

  3. #33
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    125
    This thread has explained a lot for me. I picked up a bottle of VB17 from a store last fall and assumed it was new stock, since this store has a high stock turnover rate. I was expected a good amount of sweetness, based on the comments of it having been changed to a wheat mashbill, but got heavy rye spice when I tried it. This is one of the spiciest bourbons I've had. Ironically, the Vintage Rye 21 is one of the sweetest whiskeys i have had.

    After seeing these pictures, I can confirm I have one of the older scripted-font rye VB17s. I'm a little disappointed, since I don't know of any other stores around here that sell the VB17, and I really wanted the wheat over the rye. Maybe I'll just go pick up a 3rd Vintage Rye 21, since they are outstanding.

  4. #34
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    103

    Re: Vintage Bourbon 17 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Bmac View Post
    ugh! I prefer the regular font (right). So is the one on the left a much older release?
    I just bought a bottle this spring with the more standard looking font (on the right).

    The other more script looking font (on the left) was purchased last fall as the last one on the shelf. Who knows how old it is - I'd love to know but can find nothing in the archives - or on the bottle - to indicate an age.

    I'm into a bottle with the standard font and it tastes like a wheater to me. Actually very good stuff to my taste buds.

    I haven't gotten into what I assume to be the older bottle (scripted font).
    <"}}}}}}}><

    Rich

  5. #35
    Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,534

    Re: Vintage Bourbon 17 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by atfree View Post
    This thread has explained a lot for me. I picked up a bottle of VB17 from a store last fall and assumed it was new stock, since this store has a high stock turnover rate. I was expected a good amount of sweetness, based on the comments of it having been changed to a wheat mashbill, but got heavy rye spice when I tried it. This is one of the spiciest bourbons I've had. Ironically, the Vintage Rye 21 is one of the sweetest whiskeys i have had.

    After seeing these pictures, I can confirm I have one of the older scripted-font rye VB17s. I'm a little disappointed, since I don't know of any other stores around here that sell the VB17, and I really wanted the wheat over the rye. Maybe I'll just go pick up a 3rd Vintage Rye 21, since they are outstanding.
    If you can still find Vintage 21 Rye you are one lucky man.

  6. #36
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    If you can still find Vintage 21 Rye you are one lucky man.
    I sure can. It's likely just a matter of time before I go back and snag the 4 or so bottles remaining on the shelf. Vintage 21 Rye is the bottle with the fastest depletion rate in my house.

  7. #37
    Novice
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2

    Re: Vintage Bourbon 17 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanL View Post
    I bought it at K&L hoping to get the wheater but I got the rye. Not sure where exactly I can find the wheater or how to tell them apart. A different label would have been nice.
    If you got the VB17 at K&L in the last 6-12 months it is almost certainly the wheater. The rye recipe ran out over a year ago. If some how you got the rye recipe thinking it was the wheater you can bring it back to the store and we can verify with KBD which batch the bottle is from.

  8. #38
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mesquite, TX
    Posts
    619

    Re: Vintage Bourbon 17 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by Davidog View Post
    If you got the VB17 at K&L in the last 6-12 months it is almost certainly the wheater. The rye recipe ran out over a year ago. If some how you got the rye recipe thinking it was the wheater you can bring it back to the store and we can verify with KBD which batch the bottle is from.
    Just curious, how would KBD determine the batch number? There aren't any laser codes or serial numbers on the bottle?
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

  9. #39
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    124

    Re: Vintage Bourbon 17 2012

    I just bought a pair of the Vintage 17-year with the scripted font.

    If I've read the thread correctly, it looks like rye-bill instead of wheat-bill for me.

  10. #40
    Connoisseur
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Mesquite, TX
    Posts
    619

    Re: Vintage Bourbon 17 2012

    Quote Originally Posted by spinningrecords View Post
    I just bought a pair of the Vintage 17-year with the scripted font.

    If I've read the thread correctly, it looks like rye-bill instead of wheat-bill for me.
    Yeah that does seem to be my understanding too. It's still good stuff though!
    |-o-| [-o-] |-o-| "I'm on the leader"

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. what bourbon are you enjoying spring 2012 ?
    By Phil T in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 748
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 21:17
  2. What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today? - Spring 2012
    By jcg9779 in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 644
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 19:50
  3. What Bourbon Are You Enjoying, Winter 2011/2012
    By Special Reserve in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 793
    Last Post: 03-19-2012, 18:59
  4. Bourbon QPR 2012
    By George in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-28-2012, 12:14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top