Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Potato Whiskey

  1. #11
    Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    283

    Re: Potato Whiskey

    I can't even find a reference for it being aged..

    Steffen

  2. #12
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,616

    Re: Potato Whiskey

    Quote Originally Posted by macdeffe View Post
    I can't even find a reference for it being aged..

    Steffen
    If you can violate one rule, why not all of them?

  3. #13
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    5,203

    Re: Potato Whiskey

    Eddu claims to be whisky made from buckwheat, which is not really a grain (it's not a grass) either despite having "wheat" in the name.

    http://www.distillerie.fr/en/eddu_silver.html

    Surprised no American micro has tried that yet.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

  4. #14
    Virtuoso
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Eddu claims to be whisky made from buckwheat, which is not really a grain (it's not a grass) either despite having "wheat" in the name.

    http://www.distillerie.fr/en/eddu_silver.html

    Surprised no American micro has tried that yet.
    Ah, but they have. Heston Farms in West Virginia makes Buckwheat Moon, a buckwheat whiskey. http://hestonfarm.com/distillery

  5. #15
    Advanced Taster
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    176

    Re: Potato Whiskey

    So, their homepage has this image on it. Moonshine out of a pig's behind? Sounds tasty!

  6. #16
    Bourbonian of the Year 2002 and Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    12,616

    Re: Potato Whiskey

    While the EU rules specify cereal grain, the U.S. rules just use the word 'grain.' An argument can be made, therefore, that while not a cereal, the buckwheat seed is a grain under the meaning of the law. Problem is, that opens the door to lentil whiskey, and no one wants that.

    I have received acknowledgment from TTB. They're looking into it.
    Last edited by cowdery; 04-03-2012 at 11:45.

  7. #17
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    5,203

    Re: Potato Whiskey

    Quote Originally Posted by redbear View Post
    So, their homepage has this image on it. Moonshine out of a pig's behind? Sounds tasty!
    Reminds me of a flask from antiques roadshow a few years ago:

    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200603A28.html
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

  8. #18
    Trippah and Admin
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northeast Ahia
    Posts
    4,762

    Re: Potato Whiskey

    Quote Originally Posted by cowdery View Post
    While the EU rules specify cereal grain, the U.S. rules just use the word 'grain.' An argument can be made, therefore, that while not a cereal, the buckwheat seed is a grain under the meaning of the law. Problem is, that opens the door to lentil whiskey, and no one wants that.

    I have received acknowledgment from TTB. They're looking into it.
    You involved the feds? Have you no respect for the livelyhood of the poor artisan who is simply trying to carve out a meager existence?
    My name is Joel Goodson. I deal in human fulfillment.
    I grossed over eight thousand dollars in one night. Time of your life, huh kid?

  9. #19
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Posts
    5,203

    Re: Potato Whiskey

    Quote Originally Posted by callmeox View Post
    You involved the feds? Have you no respect for the livelyhood of the poor artisan who is simply trying to carve out a meager existence?
    It's the worst kind of elitism.
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

  10. #20
    Irreverent One
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Heart of the Beaver State
    Posts
    2,395

    Re: Potato Whiskey

    There is an awful lot of people who believe Irish whiskey is made from potatoes...

    (when I first keyed that in I used the word "astonishing" rather than "awful" but then considered the long list of other silly things people believe...and went back and changed it...)
    Scott

    "Remember that your sense of humor is inversely proportional to your level of intolerance."
    - Serge Storms

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Grain Whiskey VS. Malt Whiskey
    By whiskeyme in forum Foreign Whiskey
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 12:21
  2. Is whiskey aged in wood healther than young whiskey?
    By WineGuy in forum General Bourbon Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 15:50

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Back to top