Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Virtuoso

Rye/Bourbon Revival

For those of you who have been members here for a long time, the recent talk of an impending rye revival got me thinking about the bourbon revival we're experiencing. Do you remember when the bourbon revival began, and what were the reactions like back then? Was there the same, "I'll believe it when I see it," or, "It looks good, but we'll see," reaction? Just wondering if anyone noticed any parallels.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Guru

Re: Rye/Bourbon Revival

Shortly after I joined this board (in 2004), I read some posts about a bourbon called George T. Stagg. A few days later I was driving by a local liquor store and stopped in to see if they had any. There they were... sitting forlornly on the shelf next to the Bookers.

Since then, the market for GTS (and other bourbons) has changed a little....
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Virtuoso

Talk of a "rye revival" has been going on for 10 years or more.
    "Brownest of the brown liquors..so tempting. What's that? You want me to drink you? But I'm in the middle of a trial!" L. Hutz

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by tommyboy38 View Post
    Talk of a "rye revival" has been going on for 10 years or more.
    That long? Interesting. Chuck mentions the many premature proclamations of a bourbon revival in his book. Was there a point when anyone thought, "Okay, this is real?" And Chuck, if you're reading this, do you think any of the people predicting a bourbon revival really saw it coming or was it purely a happy coincidence? I was a kid in the 70s/80s, so it's interesting for me to read about things going on in the industry while I was riding my bike and playing with Star Wars toys!
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Connoisseur

I've only been on SB since '08, but I've been driving down to CnB to puchase whiskey since '93-94. In the mid to late '90s, while the single malt explosion was driving up scotch prices, the early single barrel and small batch bourbons were holding steady. I recently complained in a post about Old Rip and lot B prices at CnB. I remember a day when all VWs were on the shelf all of the time. I remember buying Old Rip 107 $21-24 and lot B $25-28. You add the low supply of a limited release bourbon and the high demand of a boom in popularity and you have what we see today. I wish it were as simple as the craft beer industry where you are never more than a few batches and few months away from getting increased production to the retail level. As Chuck has stated in many posts, it takes great foresight and analysis of trends and years of aging to "catch up". Hopefully the distillers of the whiskeys that are in short supply now saw the shortage coming early enough that the down time will be lessened.

Enthusiast

The revival has its ups and its downs (for us).

I remember 5 years ago when you could go to the binnys event and buy the ticket the day of or get whiskyfest tickets fairly close to the event. That's not true anymore now that the hipster scene took over. I think it kind of pisses some of us off - we get shafted when we were the ones who liked it before it was "cool" or "hip" to.

In short, people who regularly purchase jbw and seem to drink whiskey b/c its cool to kind of piss me off.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by trumpstylz View Post
    In short, people who regularly purchase jbw and seem to drink whiskey b/c its cool to kind of piss me off.
    The nerds/dorks/geeks like us always get shafted. Or do we? I think I just confused myself. Time to drink and forget that I just did that.

Connoisseur

The best thing about revivals are:

1. The good folks they bring in who stay around for the long haul.

2. The hipsters always find the door fast and get hip on another thing.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Disciple

Hipsters don't have anything on bunkers like ours. I'm sure we've all had our encounters with the folks who's pants are so tight around their ankles that they can't remember which bourbon they like best.

"Walter Van Pincus is my favorite go-to bourbon, and it's a Rye."

Disciple

Indication to me of some momentum of the revival further into the main stream. A whiskey themed restaurant is opening soon in Schaumburg, Illinois. Schaumburg is about 25 miles northwest of Chicago and home to one of the bigger shopping malls in the country, Woodfield, along with many other chain retail stores and restaurants. It could be characterized as the epitome of American suburbia and a place urban hipsters (whatever your definition) may visit to shop but not live or entertain in.

Lincoln Whiskey * Kitchen is being created by restaurateurs with other establishments such as Cinzzetti's Italian Market and White Chocolate Grill. Their web site contains some talk on whiskey, Lincoln and why this place is so special to them. They have their own barrel of Evan Williams SB and met with Al Young of Four Roses last week during Whiskyfest activities. I find it interesting that a group of successful restaurateurs, with their marketing savvy, believe there is enough traction with whiskey to make it a theme for their restaurant, in this area, far from the hipper area of the city.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011