Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 91 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Connoisseur

Re: Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    It's very inexpensive here in Texas. I can get a handle for under $30, usually - and that's the Repasado.

I really, really like El Jimador - and I also like the Milagro you mention.

I've done some interesting home-aging with El Jimador that has turned out very nicely... and it seasons the barrel for some nice experiments with whiskey later.

I give the entire El Jimador line thumbs-up, but the Repasodo is my favorite.

Another super cheap one is Camarena... The reposado is quite nice. I actually sip it (not just for mixing). It's... different. Many folks frown on it because it's fairly inexpensive (under $20 for a 750), but I really enjoy it (not so much the Silver, however).
    Tequila is such a tough product to buy because the distribution for the smaller brands is so varied. Here's what I would say about the major brands.

Cuervo - JCE = Garbage, JC Tradicional = Decent value for the money, JC RdF PLatino = Good, but many better values can be had for the $50-60 price rance, JC RdF Extra Anejo = Great Drink all around, but at $100-125, there's better in the price range as well. Cuervo makes some decent things, but it's rarely the best in the price range.

Sauza - Everything from the Sauza like is either a mediciney tasting mixto or a 100% agave spirit that has distinct burn when consumed straight, but makes a decent mixer. It's one of my least favorite brands. The high alcohol burn is why the guy says everything else is "for women."

Patron - The entire line is very clean and smooth, but it lacks any real depth or character. It's a great introduction for people who are used to drinking swill tequila, but for those who regularly drink tequila, it just lacks flavor when compared to other lines. With that said, it's very good quality stuff.

Brown-Forman (Herradura & El Jimador) - I've never loved to flavor profile of Herradura. The anejo is BY FAR the best of the bunch. El Jimador is aged in bourbon barrels and the anejo takes on quite a bit of the flavor. The blanco is a mixer and the reposado is a nice balanced all around juice.

With the pleasure of having sampled all sorts of tequilas, I can tell you that there's plenty of great ones to be had under $40 and for some, even under $25.

One of the best and most easily found ones out there is Muchote. Don Julio is what Mexicans consider to be the go to premium tequila and is usually in the $35-50 range. Corrido is my current favorite overall line, but is really only seen in California (but you can always buy online).

If you like tequila and know the tastes you like, I'd be happy to recommend a few and help find a place where you can get them. For Bourbon drinkers, Don Pilar Anejo and Don Abraham Anejo have similar properties and are extremely smooth.

Here are some other great bottles that I've purchased for under $25 - Viva Mexico Reposado, El Charro Anejo or Reposado, Dos Lunas, Tres Agaves, El Ultimo.

Here are my favorites right now: Azunia Anejo, Fina Estampa Blanco, Clase Azul, Corrido (all ages), Fortaleza, Muchote, Marquez de Valencia, Riazul Anejo, Penca Azul Anejo, Don Julio 1942 (or really any age), Tonala.

I could go on forever and I'm always glad to help any tequila lovers or those looking to get into drinking the agave juice.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Tequila is such a tough product to buy because the distribution for the smaller brands is so varied. Here's what I would say about the major brands.

Cuervo - JCE = Garbage, JC Tradicional = Decent value for the money, JC RdF PLatino = Good, but many better values can be had for the $50-60 price rance, JC RdF Extra Anejo = Great Drink all around, but at $100-125, there's better in the price range as well. Cuervo makes some decent things, but it's rarely the best in the price range.

Sauza - Everything from the Sauza like is either a mediciney tasting mixto or a 100% agave spirit that has distinct burn when consumed straight, but makes a decent mixer. It's one of my least favorite brands. The high alcohol burn is why the guy says everything else is "for women."

Patron - The entire line is very clean and smooth, but it lacks any real depth or character. It's a great introduction for people who are used to drinking swill tequila, but for those who regularly drink tequila, it just lacks flavor when compared to other lines. With that said, it's very good quality stuff.

Brown-Forman (Herradura & El Jimador) - I've never loved to flavor profile of Herradura. The anejo is BY FAR the best of the bunch. El Jimador is aged in bourbon barrels and the anejo takes on quite a bit of the flavor. The blanco is a mixer and the reposado is a nice balanced all around juice.

With the pleasure of having sampled all sorts of tequilas, I can tell you that there's plenty of great ones to be had under $40 and for some, even under $25.

One of the best and most easily found ones out there is Muchote. Don Julio is what Mexicans consider to be the go to premium tequila and is usually in the $35-50 range. Corrido is my current favorite overall line, but is really only seen in California (but you can always buy online).

If you like tequila and know the tastes you like, I'd be happy to recommend a few and help find a place where you can get them. For Bourbon drinkers, Don Pilar Anejo and Don Abraham Anejo have similar properties and are extremely smooth.

Here are some other great bottles that I've purchased for under $25 - Viva Mexico Reposado, El Charro Anejo or Reposado, Dos Lunas, Tres Agaves, El Ultimo.

Here are my favorites right now: Azunia Anejo, Fina Estampa Blanco, Clase Azul, Corrido (all ages), Fortaleza, Muchote, Marquez de Valencia, Riazul Anejo, Penca Azul Anejo, Don Julio 1942 (or really any age), Tonala.

I could go on forever and I'm always glad to help any tequila lovers or those looking to get into drinking the agave juice.
    Wow. Thanks for all the information and sharing your thoughts on the various brands. Like many here in the US, my first experience with tequila occurred back in college, slamming down shots of Jose Cuervo Gold with the little salt/lime routine and chasing it with cheap beer. Is it any wonder that many people my age still cringe at the mere mention of tequila? Its reputation as "firewater" that'll make you do crazy things, and the not uncommon two day hangovers that accompanied the binges, gave the stuff a bad name with lots of folks I know. It wasn't until many years later, when in the company of Mexican families at social functions, that I learned that tequila could (and should) be consumed in much the same manner as other fine spirits. Now I'm eager to learn more about the regional variations in products and to see if I can find a few favorites. I'll be printing off your list today and heading out to see what I can find. First up will be Muchote and then whatever else I can find in the budget range, as I'm interested in sampling as many different products as I can afford, rather than blowing loads on just a few bottles. Thanks again!
    Last edited by unclebunk; 04-12-2012 at 06:38.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Thanks for all those tips. This is the current mezcal range available in Ontario in Canada:

http://lcbo.ca/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product...R=&language=EN

Any particular favorites amongst these?

Gary

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Indeed Max, nice list. Thanks. I'll be searching as well. We have a Cinco de Mayo party every year, and am always looking for new sipping tequilas for our late in the evening toast.

I've heard that Cazadores is a favorite among our sizable local Latino population here Down South. What are your thoughts on that one?

Also Hank, Two Fingers was my own inglorious introduction to slamming tequila in College. Slid down the stairs at a party on my ass. Turned a 1/4 mi walk home, into a 2 hour meandering trek through campus, while at the same time trying to hide from my girlfriend (now wife) behind 2" maple saplings. Got stuck on my belt as I attempted to climb over the 4' chain link fence trying to get into the yard of the house. The whole time she is trying to push me over. And, after hitting the sack, basically throwing up for the next 4 hours. Ah....youth. I can't believe the girl still married me. I think I'll go remind her of the fun we had...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

This is great information, thanks Max. On my honeymoon in Cabo last year, I really came to appreciate good tequila, but I haven't pursued it much since I got home. I also love the Clase Azul, which became my favorite drink by the pool. The pool bar would serve it ice cold (out of the frezer). I now do the same.

What do you think about Esperanto?

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I've heard that Cazadores is a favorite among our sizable local Latino population here Down South. What are your thoughts on that one?
    Cazadores is very popular here as well, both the reposado and the anejo. I don't know where they fit in with the others that have been mentioned but I have bottles of both and enjoy them quite a bit.

Also Hank, Two Fingers was my own inglorious introduction to slamming tequila in College. Slid down the stairs at a party on my ass. Turned a 1/4 mi walk home, into a 2 hour meandering trek through campus, while at the same time trying to hide from my girlfriend (now wife) behind 2" maple saplings. Got stuck on my belt as I attempted to climb over the 4' chain link fence trying to get into the yard of the house. The whole time she is trying to push me over. And, after hitting the sack, basically throwing up for the next 4 hours. Ah....youth. I can't believe the girl still married me. I think I'll go remind her of the fun we had...
    Ah, yes. The good ol' days. My first serious encounter with tequila ended with me attempting to pee behind some bushes and accidentally stumbling, crashing head first through my neighbor's window-well. When he woke up and ran downstairs to his basement, he discovered me suspended halfway into the room, much like a deer head mounted on a wall. How I didn't end up shredding myself to pieces from all the broken glass is beyond me but my neighbor had something good to hold over me with my parents for many years to come. Did I mention that my neighbor was a rabbi?
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Thanks for all those tips. This is the current mezcal range available in Ontario in Canada:

http://lcbo.ca/lcbo-ear/lcbo/product...R=&language=EN

Any particular favorites amongst these?

Gary
    The only one I've had was Jaral de Berrio. It was good, but not in the same category as the Del Maguey brand.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Okay thx, will look for Del Maguey in KY when there soon.

Gary

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Wow. Thanks for all the information and sharing your thoughts on the various brands. Like many here in the US, my first experience with tequila occurred back in college, slamming down shots of Jose Cuervo Gold with the little salt/lime routine and chasing it with cheap beer. Is it any wonder that many people my age still cringe at the mere mention of tequila? Its reputation as "firewater" that'll make you do crazy things, and the not uncommon two day hangovers that accompanied the binges, gave the stuff a bad name with lots of folks I know. It wasn't until many years later, when in the company of Mexican families at social functions, that I learned that tequila could (and should) be consumed in much the same manner as other fine spirits. Now I'm eager to learn more about the regional variations in products and to see if I can find a few favorites. I'll be printing off your list today and heading out to see what I can find. First up will be Muchote and then whatever else I can find in the budget range, as I'm interested in sampling as many different products as I can afford, rather than blowing loads on just a few bottles. Thanks again!
    If you're interested in trying a bunch and willing to buy 5+ bottles at a time, buying online is the way to go.

www.hitimewine.net is the best for buying spirits online...period. <Muchote is $24.99, Dos Lunas is a steal there (Blanco for $16.99 - seen as high as $40 elsewhere. The reposado is $21.99 and might be the best of the bunch).

www.zeetequila.com has some great selection, but the shipping is a bit higher. They have the best prices on Tres Agaves and some other high end ones.

www.missionliquor.com has great pricing and a good selection. If you like an earthy/lowland tequila, all lines of Toro de Lidia are under $20 and it's very high quality for a lowland. I prefer highlands, but I like lowlands as well. I just wanted to preface because it's a different flavor profile.

www.morewines.com has a spotty selection, but if you can find what you want, they have the best shipping rates. Pura Vida is an awesome line there that is the cheapest I've ever seen. Also, they have Gentleman Jack for $19.99, which is dirt cheap as well.

www.wineandliquordepot.com is a very primitive website and you have to order over the phone, but they have some very hard to find tequila. Viva Mexico is there and is a steal.

I still have a bunch of bottles that I bought fairly cheap that I haven't yet sampled. I'll keep updating as I get through them. I'm more on the prowl for cheap gems now more than anything.

There's so many tequilas out there and the prices vary a TON because of the distribution differences. The key is doing the research to get the best deals. Combine with buying your favorite bourbons and it saves you the trip and the sales tax (in MN it's 10% for sales & liquor tax).

Keep asking questions...I'll keep answering.

Connoisseur

Indeed Max, nice list. Thanks. I'll be searching as well. We have a Cinco de Mayo party every year, and am always looking for new sipping tequilas for our late in the evening toast.

Cazadores Reposado is the most commonly found and I'd put it in the Patron category with a little more earth on the palate. Very smooth, very clean, but it doesn't have a ton of character. It is, however, very easy to drink. I'd recommend Milagro reposado or anejo for just as easily found tequila with a bit more flavor and equally smooth around the same price.

The best reason Cazadores is probably so popular is because of availability and price. Just like the person with experience with locals in Mexico, cost is a huge factor. For the money, it's a decent buy.