Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 13 of 91 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Novice

Re: Tequila Forum

Max I completely Devoured your site! Great job on all the reviews. Looks Like I have a new spirit to get addicted to besides bourbon and Gin. Good thing my wife enjoys good cocktails so she doesnt get to mad when I buy copious amounts of liquor.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    Max, thanks for all the great info and insight on this wonderful, new spirit (new for me, anyway). I only have a few, cheaper Tequilas at the moment, but I'm really loving this new flavor profile.

This is just in time, and very informative for any of us "newbies" to this fine spirit. I hope you enjoy this. http://youtu.be/sHCR0378g5Y
    Glad to help. I have a passion for the stuff and the desire to help people spread the word that what they know of tequila may not be as much as they think. I know had I had no idea a couple years ago what was out there.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by alexandergjones View Post
    Max I completely Devoured your site! Great job on all the reviews. Looks Like I have a new spirit to get addicted to besides bourbon and Gin. Good thing my wife enjoys good cocktails so she doesnt get to mad when I buy copious amounts of liquor.
    Stay Tuned. I have tasting notes on 80 more and still 70 more unopened bottles in the bunker. I'm looking forward to trying and reviewing them all.

Thanks for the kind words.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Stay Tuned. I have tasting notes on 80 more and still 70 more unopened bottles in the bunker. I'm looking forward to trying and reviewing them all.

Thanks for the kind words.
    Loved the site too and enjoyed the photos as much as your insightful reviews. But Max, I'm gonna end up in the poor house because of you!
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Guru

Went to a friend's house Wednesday night for a few beers and he busted out an unopened bottle of Jose Cuervo Tradicional Reposado. No disrespect to those who might enjoy the stuff but after all the fine quality tequilas I've been sampling lately, I can say unequivocally that I absolutely HATED it from the very first sip. I find it sharp, thin and completely lacking in the floral notes that I've come to enjoy. And talk about a pounding headache yesterday morning! I'm going to gift my buddy a bottle of Gran Centenario Reposado, which he could have bought for the same price, so he'll have something decent in his cabinet that costs under $25. Or maybe I'll put an extra bottle of Muchote in my shopping cart when I place my on-line order and really treat him to something special and affordable.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Went to a friend's house Wednesday night for a few beers and he busted out an unopened bottle of Jose Cuervo Tradicional Reposado. No disrespect to those who might enjoy the stuff but after all the fine quality tequilas I've been sampling lately, I can say unequivocally that I absolutely HATED it from the very first sip. I find it sharp, thin and completely lacking in the floral notes that I've come to enjoy. And talk about a pounding headache yesterday morning! I'm going to gift my buddy a bottle of Gran Centenario Reposado, which he could have bought for the same price, so he'll have something decent in his cabinet that costs under $25. Or maybe I'll put an extra bottle of Muchote in my shopping cart when I place my on-line order and really treat him to something special and affordable.
    Thanks for checking out the site. I know that eventually I have to review the less interesting tequilas and you pretty much have it right with JC Tradicional. This brand is popular in Mexico because it's cheap and available...and they don't drink mixtos like Americans do.

It's not really a tequila meant for sipping. It's not a terrible mixer, but for the money, there's just better values out there. The funny thing is that Gran Cent is made by Casa Cuervo. Same company, but different missions with each tequila. I really like GC because it delivers a nice spice mixture (the anejo is particularly like a bakery) for a good price. That's definitely more of a craft/sipping brand than JC Tradicional.

That's what I try to do with the blog and reviews. Anyone in the world can tell you that a $100 tequila is smooth and tastes good. I'm trying to differentiate so that people know where the best values are based on what their palate likes in a tequila.

Hopefully everyone can learn something and enjoy learning more about what the world of agave juice has to offer. Sorry about making you go broke, but hopefully you're enjoying the ride.

Virtuoso

Alright guys, I picked up a bottle of Don Julio Reposado today. Going to give it a try when I get home!

Connoisseur

"Max":
    glad I checked the nonwhiskey forum and found your tequila recs since I didn't remember them or write them somewhere during last night's chat. I actually fell asleep with the computer on my chest and when I woke up everyone had left.
    Looks like Binnys has the Clase Azul Repo and I'm probably gonna get a bottle this weekend. Noticed they also have a $1600 bottle--have you tasted that?
    One of my coworkers was asking me about tequilas (he liked my 1921 rec last year) for his 5 de Mayo party and I'm gonna send him your list of 6 and the link to your website.

thanks again.
    "A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoys View Post
    "Max":
    glad I checked the nonwhiskey forum and found your tequila recs since I didn't remember them or write them somewhere during last night's chat. I actually fell asleep with the computer on my chest and when I woke up everyone had left.
    Looks like Binnys has the Clase Azul Repo and I'm probably gonna get a bottle this weekend. Noticed they also have a $1600 bottle--have you tasted that?
    One of my coworkers was asking me about tequilas (he liked my 1921 rec last year) for his 5 de Mayo party and I'm gonna send him your list of 6 and the link to your website.

thanks again.
    Cool. I just posted a full list of what is currently in my basement in the "collecting" topic on the main page. Clase Azul is very good choice to be a crowd pleaser. It's got a great overall flavor and is mild enough to not offend any palates.

I've never had the $1600 bottle. Honestly, I don't see the point. I've had a few of the $200-300+ tequilas and I don't find any of them to be appreciably better than what can be had for $100 and under. I can't see myself ever paying for those ultra high end ones, but I would certainly drink them for free.

Virtuoso

Ok, I just got home with a bottle of Don Julio Reposado, Espolon Repesado and Herradura Anejo.

I've decided that, although I like Blanco Tequilas, I prefer the Repesados, so far. I haven't tried an Anejo, yet. I'm hoping I like those, too.