Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 16 of 91 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Connoisseur

Re: Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Ejmharris View Post
    Picked up Tres Agave Blanco ($25) and El Mayor Anejo ($29). Both seemed liked good deals and I faintly remember Kevin (maxpower) gave them pretty good write ups. The Tres Agave was a gift pack with a lime squeezer and Agave Nectar bottle. It had a very fresh and clean flavor. I am looking forward getting a lime for a margarita with it but it is very in nice neat. What it makes me think of is that it is a non-tequila drinkers tequila but still all can enjoy. Would be nice to taste a bigger flavor at a higher abv. Is all tequila sold at 80 proof in the US?

As for the El mayor, not sure what to think about it yet. I will say I think it is a nice price at $29 but that was a $10 off sale. I will need to get another pour, but I expected a little more smoothness with this one. It has a fantastic color out of the bottle. Not sure what the regs are for coloring tequila. I like the flavor on the palette just punched you a little on the finish.
    I agree with everything that you said about Tres Agaves. It's a very nice pour for $25. It's versatile enough to use straight or as a mixer.

I've never tasted El Mayor blanco. The anejo is pretty good and reposado is OK. You must have it confused with another brand because I don't think I'd recommend El Mayor at the price point.

And for reference, most US tequila is 80 proof. KAH reposado is 110 proof and Agave 99 is 99 proof (clever name, no?). Peligroso is 84 proof. Those are the ones that I can think of offhand.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    I agree, I'm starting to really like the stuff. Now I want to know what the Anejo tastes like...
    Yes...yes you do. Although I will admit that I think I like the reposado a bit more. It keeps the agave kick better while the anejo is sweeter, smoother and more candy like. The spiciness of the agave is lost a bit in the anejo. With that said, it is delicious and is a spirit for all occasions and for all people given it's flavor profile. Don Julio is just a solid overall brand.

Connoisseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I agree with everything that you said about Tres Agaves. It's a very nice pour for $25. It's versatile enough to use straight or as a mixer.

I've never tasted El Mayor blanco. The anejo is pretty good and reposado is OK. You must have it confused with another brand because I don't think I'd recommend El Mayor at the price point.

And for reference, most US tequila is 80 proof. KAH reposado is 110 proof and Agave 99 is 99 proof (clever name, no?). Peligroso is 84 proof. Those are the ones that I can think of offhand.
    It looks like you are right, it wasn't really a recommendation now that I look back. I did have a second pour tonight and liked it much better though. It looks like you picked up on some wood that I didn't get, but my taste buds are not very discriminate. I did go back and smell the glass after it was gone and it has a crazy carmel aroma almost like bourbon. I will go back to this one.

http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com/2...anejo.html?m=1

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Ejmharris View Post
    It looks like you are right, it wasn't really a recommendation now that I look back. I did have a second pour tonight and liked it much better though. It looks like you picked up on some wood that I didn't get, but my taste buds are not very discriminate. I did go back and smell the glass after it was gone and it has a crazy carmel aroma almost like bourbon. I will go back to this one.

http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com/2...anejo.html?m=1
    For some reason, I thought you wrote El Mayor blanco. For $29, El Mayor Anejo is a good buy. It does have a very rich caramel taste to it. It was an interesting tequila because the nose SCREAMS caramel, but it's not as strong on the tongue. Also, for a tequila aged that long (and that dark color) you usually don't get quite as much spice. It's unique for an anejo.

Virtuoso

Question for the tequila mavens. Herradurra blanco, taller bottle with old label, 46% alc/vol. Good stuff? Like, I mean mind-blowingly rare and spectacular, or just good stuff? Or just, like, not that great?
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Question for the tequila mavens. Herradurra blanco, taller bottle with old label, 46% alc/vol. Good stuff? Like, I mean mind-blowingly rare and spectacular, or just good stuff? Or just, like, not that great?
    And while you're at it, I found a bottle of Herradura Reposado in the taller bottle for $37 but it doesn't look terribly old. Is that just current juice in a non-export bottle (like what you'd find on the shelf in Mexico today) or something older worth buying? I know you're not wild about Herradura, Kevin, but I'm a fan and I wondered if this might be better juice than what's typically available.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Enthusiast

Herradurra installed a "diffuser" around 2001, which is basically a fancy machine that washes the crushed agave fiber and cooks down the resulting solution to extract more sugars from the agave. Most Herradurra fans think post-diffuser juice is not nearly as good as pre-diffuser.

Connoisseur

I've had the 92 proof taller bottle, but never any aged one. It's basically the same as the short bottle with maybe a little less earth and a bit more alcohol bite (to be expected). It's nothing worth rushing out and getting unless you're collecting and worried about not finding it again.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    Herradurra installed a "diffuser" around 2001, which is basically a fancy machine that washes the crushed agave fiber and cooks down the resulting solution to extract more sugars from the agave. Most Herradurra fans think post-diffuser juice is not nearly as good as pre-diffuser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    I've had the 92 proof taller bottle, but never any aged one. It's basically the same as the short bottle with maybe a little less earth and a bit more alcohol bite (to be expected). It's nothing worth rushing out and getting unless you're collecting and worried about not finding it again.
    Excellent, thanks guys!
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Enthusiast

TPS just came out with the first (to my knowledge) barrel proof tequila. I'm planning on ordering some.

You can read more here.