Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 18 of 91 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Guru

Re: Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    That's a damn near perfect tequila order. Enjoy.
    Couldn't have done it without you! I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on these, as they each sound fantastic and quite different from what I already own. I'm easy to please in most instances, so will undoubtedy find something to enjoy in each one. Sadly, I'm not having much luck turning my bourbon-loving/casual tequila-drinking friends on to much of the really good stuff. They seem perfectly content drinking Cazadores and the rest is wasted upon them. Nothing wrong with Cazadores, but when the $40+ bottles hit the table and they simply shrug when they drink it, I'm of the mind to keep my Herradura and El Tesoro back in the cabinet for private consumption. I suspect the same will prove to be the case with my new stuff when it arrives. (And my wife always reaches for blancos when making margaritas, so the Fortaleza will definitely be kept in a safe place--my belly!)
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Virtuoso

Not tequila, but I finally opened my Scorpion Silver mezcal last night. The nose is unremarkable: loads of agave and whiffs of acetone and saddle soap. No smoke to speak of. That all changes with the first sip: a big blast of smoke and some flavors of peppercorns, white and black, and some chilis. It lacks some of the raw, green spirit notes that are so typical in unaged distillates. Finish is pretty long and pleasantly smoky (like the mild, narrow gauge cigarettes that women past middle age used to smoke).

Very easy to drink, and shares a lot in common with Islay malts, but more subtle.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post
    Not tequila, but I finally opened my Scorpion Silver mezcal last night. The nose is unremarkable: loads of agave and whiffs of acetone and saddle soap. No smoke to speak of. That all changes with the first sip: a big blast of smoke and some flavors of peppercorns, white and black, and some chilis. It lacks some of the raw, green spirit notes that are so typical in unaged distillates. Finish is pretty long and pleasantly smoky (like the mild, narrow gauge cigarettes that women past middle age used to smoke).

Very easy to drink, and shares a lot in common with Islay malts, but more subtle.
    How much did you pay for that, if you don't mind my asking? Could be one to seek out.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Brisko View Post

I'm not the biggest Mexcal drinker, but I just bought Embajador blanco and repo from Hi Time for $18.99 each. I tried the reposado and it's an absolute smoke bomb with a sweet entry. Very interesting. For those who like the big islay tastes, this is a great deal for $18.99.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Virtuoso

I believe I paid $34 for it. It was on the novelty shelf at my neighborhood store and had been there for a while.

Most online stores that list it have it around $40. I haven't seen the silver anywhere else but a couple of places carry the reposado and anejos.

Based on my first taste, and very limited knowledge of agave spirits, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it if you can find it.
    Life's too short, and there's too much good whiskey within reach.

Enthusiast

This arrived today via a buddy who just got back from MX. 7 Leguas D'antano, their Mexico-only 5 year extra anejo. I've been hoping to get one of these for a while!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Connoisseur

back from Costco
    Lookin' forward to some fine margs per Max's rec

"A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    This arrived today via a buddy who just got back from MX. 7 Leguas D'antano, their Mexico-only 5 year extra anejo. I've been hoping to get one of these for a while!
    Woohoo! Nice one, Luther. Enjoy!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    I've been wanting to try that for a while. I need to get down to Mexico again so that I can get a bottle.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoys View Post
    back from Costco
    Lookin' forward to some fine margs per Max's rec

It's a good mixer for an anejo. Lots of nice complimentary flavors. I almost bought a bottle today on my trip to Costco. For $20, you can't lose.