Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 26 of 91 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Connoisseur

Re: Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by luther.r View Post
    Ah, you missed my joke. I was poking fun at your "$0 and under" typo, so I was asking for some "negative fifty dollar" tequilas. These are all much more than that!

But this is great info that I'm sure will be helpful to others.
    Damn it. I'm going to have to figure out a way to get $0 tequilas. Having a blog and such may be able to net me some free stuff. So I'll say to get a website. That should do it. If it's like mine it more like a steaming pile of
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Advanced Taster

The local liquor store did a tequila 101 class, and did some sampling. I'm worried, this spirit could become another expensive hobby.

Here is what we sampled. I encourage you to give your thoughts on the selections.

In order:

Tierra Fertil Blanco
    Fina Estampa Blanco
    Don Cosme Reposado
    Aha Toro Reposado
    El Amo Anejo
    Ley 925 Anejo
    Campo Azul Extra Anejo

My thoughts as a tequila noob:

I'm not so excited about blancos in general. The grassy/pepper notes are interesting, but I think I'd get bored quickly. I like the wood influence of the aged ones. Of the two blancos, I thought the Fina Estampa was the better.

The Don Cosme was interesting, but I liked the Aha Toro better. It is one I could see buying to drink.

I was not at all impressed with the El Amo. I thought it was boring. No negatives, just lacking character. The Ley 925 was my favorite of the night. Really flavorful, lots of character.

I liked the Campo Azul a lot. He said this is limited to 5000 bottles. Any truth to this? Seems like a steal at the ~$35 they had it priced at. Might be worth bunkering a couple of these. Very smooth. The tequila I would choose to introduce new tequila drinkers to.

Also: He said Kah is disappearing from the market again. It could just be his store/distributor. Any truth to this rumor?

Guru

I still haven't been able to find Fina Estampa anywhere but have my hands full with the little stockpile I've accumulated in the last month or so. Last night I went with the anejos, Dos Lunas and Corrido. The DLA is mighty fine and I really wish I had picked up a second bottle before it suddenly disappeared. The Corrido Anejo though is a real step up and loaded with character, so much so that I'm sure I'll blow through this bottle quickly and have to get another. It's worth every penny of the $40 that I paid for it.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by redbear View Post
    The local liquor store did a tequila 101 class, and did some sampling. I'm worried, this spirit could become another expensive hobby.

Here is what we sampled. I encourage you to give your thoughts on the selections.

In order:

Tierra Fertil Blanco
    Fina Estampa Blanco
    Don Cosme Reposado
    Aha Toro Reposado
    El Amo Anejo
    Ley 925 Anejo
    Campo Azul Extra Anejo

My thoughts as a tequila noob:

I'm not so excited about blancos in general. The grassy/pepper notes are interesting, but I think I'd get bored quickly. I like the wood influence of the aged ones. Of the two blancos, I thought the Fina Estampa was the better.

The Don Cosme was interesting, but I liked the Aha Toro better. It is one I could see buying to drink.

I was not at all impressed with the El Amo. I thought it was boring. No negatives, just lacking character. The Ley 925 was my favorite of the night. Really flavorful, lots of character.

I liked the Campo Azul a lot. He said this is limited to 5000 bottles. Any truth to this? Seems like a steal at the ~$35 they had it priced at. Might be worth bunkering a couple of these. Very smooth. The tequila I would choose to introduce new tequila drinkers to.

Also: He said Kah is disappearing from the market again. It could just be his store/distributor. Any truth to this rumor?
    Fina Estampa has a very good blanco. The rest of the line tastes similar. They have a great base tequila, but really miss with the aging. I've never had Tierra Fertil.

Don Cosme is really cheap and pretty basic. But for $20 and under, it's a decent buy. Aha Toro is a gem, although I have not tasted it since it changed distilleries. I've heard there's a difference. As a newbie, I'm sure you didn't look for the NOM on the bottle. I hope the new is as good as the old. Aha Toro also has some great bottles. The reposado is my favorite of that line, so you had a good one there.

El Amo is very basic. Again, it's a budget tequila. It's what some on here might call an "everyday" pour as it has all of the basics of what you would want in tequila and is well priced, but maybe lacks the little extra to make it special.

Ley 925 is a gem. It has a ton of fruit flavors, some nice spice and a wonderful finish. The extra anejo is one of the better ones out there and is only $60 instead of the $200+ price tag you see on a lot of extra anejos.

Campo Azul is not a good brand. I've never had the extra anejo and I like many other tequilas from the distillery. Most of their tequilas are really "hot" and not pleasant at all. It makes a decent mixed (reposado). I'd give the XA a shot, but I'm not in a hurry to try much more from the brand after having the blanco and reposado.

All in all, that's a really good sampler from a local store. I wish ours would have selection that good and different.

Virtuoso

Max, or anyone; what do you think of Alien tequila?

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    I still haven't been able to find Fina Estampa anywhere but have my hands full with the little stockpile I've accumulated in the last month or so. Last night I went with the anejos, Dos Lunas and Corrido. The DLA is mighty fine and I really wish I had picked up a second bottle before it suddenly disappeared. The Corrido Anejo though is a real step up and loaded with character, so much so that I'm sure I'll blow through this bottle quickly and have to get another. It's worth every penny of the $40 that I paid for it.
    I told you that you'd love the Corrido. I have two anejos bunkered. And I don't bunker much tequila.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    Max, or anyone; what do you think of Alien tequila?
    I've never had it. This might help you...

http://tastetequila.com/2010/abducte...alien-tequila/

Virtuoso

I picked up a Tequila Ocho Reposado and an El Jimador Anejo today.

I'm starting to warm up to the Blancos. I'm going to try the Alien Blanco next.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    I picked up a Tequila Ocho Reposado and an El Jimador Anejo today.

I'm starting to warm up to the Blancos. I'm going to try the Alien Blanco next.
    Which vintage of the Ocho did you get? Also, I think you'll like the El Jimador Anejo. Big time bourbon influence in that one. Hi Time has the best prices I've seen on Alien...just if you haven't done a ton of searching on your own. Enjoy!

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    1. Corrido (Anejo - $40, Repo - $35) - Maybe my favorite tequila for the money. Just great stuff.
    I picked up the Anejo based on this recommendation. Had a quick sip and it's very nice. I can pick out some bourbon like character from the barreling. It lacks the freshness I really enjoyed in the Penca Azul though. Maybe I am a repo man! I'm going to dig into the bottle some more tonight.