Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 34 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Connoisseur

Re: Tequila Forum

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    What else do you recommend along the same lines as Siete Leguas?
    Crotalo
    Calle 23
    Azunia
    Corralejo
    El Reformador
    KAH
    Tequileno
    Tres Agaves

All of those have a similar blanco/base taste. They're all a bit different in the aging, but all very good. Tequileno, Crotalo and El Reformador are probably my favorites of that group. Check my blog with tasting notes on a bunch of those and hopefully that can help steer you toward one.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by m_jolley View Post
    At a friends house last night and he had a Don Julio 1942 that he let me try. Tall slender bottle. I tought it was a very good tequila...smooth with floral and vanilla notes with a nice nutty, wet finish. I have never seen this offering from Don Julio. Can anyone give some history on this tequila?
    Don Julio started the distillery in 1942. Around the 60th anniversary (2002), he released this tequila. It's a step above the regular anejo, but not aged 5 years like Don Julio Real. I actually prefer this one to the Don Julio Real. It retails for about $100 a bottle and is pretty darn good.

Here's my tasting notes: http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com/2...ulio-1942.html

Enthusiast

Picked up a bottle of Del Maguey Vida this weekend. One of my favorite lower priced Mezcals. So rich and smokey, nice citrus and spice, good mouth feel (not watery at all) with all those rich agave flavors and spicy flavors with just a nice punch of smoke.

Word on the street has Ron Cooper coming to Dallas in the near future to do a sampling event - I will be there for sure! He's got an awesome palate for picking these single village mezcals!

Connoisseur

I felt like this one was worth a mention.

http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com/2...la-blanco.html

Gran Dovejo. I've had both the blanco and repo recently. They're both fantastic. One of the better new lines I've had recently. The repo is review #180, so it's pretty easy to find from the front page. They're different, but both spectacular.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    Picked up a bottle of Del Maguey Vida this weekend. One of my favorite lower priced Mezcals. So rich and smokey, nice citrus and spice, good mouth feel (not watery at all) with all those rich agave flavors and spicy flavors with just a nice punch of smoke.

Word on the street has Ron Cooper coming to Dallas in the near future to do a sampling event - I will be there for sure! He's got an awesome palate for picking these single village mezcals!
    I absolutely love Del Maguey Vida. I also had a single pour of the Chichicapa and thought it was even better. I can't wait to try more of this line.

Enthusiast

I absolutely love Del Maguey Vida. I also had a single pour of the Chichicapa and thought it was even better. I can't wait to try more of this line.
    I've had all but the Pechuga and they are all excellent. Hoping to try the Pechuga when he comes to town. All booze should be made with some meat in the still!

Connoisseur

I haven't gotten a ton into mezcals thus far. I guess I shy away from the really smoky drinks. I'm not much islay scotches either.

Disciple

Bought an El Espolón Blanco today. Excited to try it. I notice that it came from the same distillery as Cabo Wabo blanco - any comparisons between the two?

Connoisseur

Bought an El Espolón Blanco today. Excited to try it. I notice that it came from the same distillery as Cabo Wabo blanco - any comparisons between the two?
    It's a really good value. In looking through my blog, I couldn't believe I hadn't posted a review yet. I need to get on that. As it gets more and more distribution (after being bought out), I pretty routinely recommend it as a go-to budget sipper and mixer. It's fairly mild and very smooth. Overall I like it as much as Cabo. They're a bit different as Cabo has an interesting spice/nutty sort of finish. Espolon is probably more straight forward. For the money, I buy Espolon.

Disciple

I have a bottle or two to empty before I open the Espolón, but when I do I will do a blind tasting with the Cabo Wabo. Based on your comments I'm expecting I'll like the Cabo a little more but as you said - for the price, I know I'll like Espolón a lot. I have had one pour in a great Mexican restaurant and enjoyed it, but that day was dominated by mezcals for me so I definitely need more tastes to decide what I think of it.