Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 35 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Disciple

Re: Tequila Forum

Couldn't resist, and opened the bottle. My wife and I tasted it, not blind, in a flight with Cabo Wabo Blanco. We both preferred the Cabo, for the same reason - the spicy, peppery finish. Spot on notes, Max. We also agreed that Espolón is one we'll probably be keeping in stock for the price. But Cabo Wabo Blanco's on sale this month for $32 - is that a good enough price to justify buying a backup or would you say I should just wait until I can pick up a Corrido and more Siete Leguas and maybe see a Cabo cheaper? At this point I feel somewhat ruined for other tequilas by the earthiness of Siete Leguas.

I'll also say that I will be recommending Espolón to someone I know who likes Patrón for the smoothness, he can afford to pay half the price for something just as drinkable but more flavorful, I'm sure.

Enthusiast

Be careful with all that Cabo Wabo. You might not be able to drive 55 anymore!

Personally I think it's pretty 'meh' stuff. Drinkable but not great. If you like peppery, the older, taller bottles of Casa Noble are great, but they're getting harder to find.

The new bottles of Espolon have been my go-to margarita mixer lately.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Couldn't resist, and opened the bottle. My wife and I tasted it, not blind, in a flight with Cabo Wabo Blanco. We both preferred the Cabo, for the same reason - the spicy, peppery finish. Spot on notes, Max. We also agreed that Espolón is one we'll probably be keeping in stock for the price. But Cabo Wabo Blanco's on sale this month for $32 - is that a good enough price to justify buying a backup or would you say I should just wait until I can pick up a Corrido and more Siete Leguas and maybe see a Cabo cheaper? At this point I feel somewhat ruined for other tequilas by the earthiness of Siete Leguas.

I'll also say that I will be recommending Espolón to someone I know who likes Patrón for the smoothness, he can afford to pay half the price for something just as drinkable but more flavorful, I'm sure.
    I don't know how fast you go through it, but I would wait until I can get the really good stuff at prices as good or better than Cabo. If you run out, keep the Espolon in stock to tide you over until you get a chance to get better stock.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Connoisseur

Did a nice little tequila flight last night.

Siete Leguas Reposado - Solid all around...just like the entire line.
    Ambhar Anejo - Better than I remembered. Really delicious.
    Puro Verde Reposado - Lesser known. Very solid
    Fogonero Anejo - Big, thick, sweet value anejo
    JLP Anejo - One of the best value anejos out there.

Nice solid night of aged tequilas. I'm visiting in-laws this weekend...I'm going to need more.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Did a nice little tequila flight last night.

Siete Leguas Reposado - Solid all around...just like the entire line.
    Ambhar Anejo - Better than I remembered. Really delicious.
    Puro Verde Reposado - Lesser known. Very solid
    Fogonero Anejo - Big, thick, sweet value anejo
    JLP Anejo - One of the best value anejos out there.

Nice solid night of aged tequilas. I'm visiting in-laws this weekend...I'm going to need more.
    Debating on picking up either Siete Leguas Reposado or Siete Leguas Anejo. The price difference is only $4 and though I've always loved the reposado, the pull of the anejo is strong. Also, remember me telling you that my bottle of JLP Anejo from Hi Time was different than the bottle-shape, label, etc. to what they have pictured on their site? Well, it's not nearly as good as the JLP Reposado that came in the same shipment. They appear to have been made at different distilleries too, so I'm guessing the source of what you sampled is not the same as what I've got. Mind you, it's not bad, just not as fine as their reposado which I thought was excellent.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    Debating on picking up either Siete Leguas Reposado or Siete Leguas Anejo. The price difference is only $4 and though I've always loved the reposado, the pull of the anejo is strong. Also, remember me telling you that my bottle of JLP Anejo from Hi Time was different than the bottle-shape, label, etc. to what they have pictured on their site? Well, it's not nearly as good as the JLP Reposado that came in the same shipment. They appear to have been made at different distilleries too, so I'm guessing the source of what you sampled is not the same as what I've got. Mind you, it's not bad, just not as fine as their reposado which I thought was excellent.
    Interesting note on the JLP. I've only had the ones in the newer bottles. Apparently they switched NOMs for the better. That's always a good thing. Either way, the sub $20 price point at Hi Time for JLP is pretty darn good.

Also, I always tend toward trying the new thing if I like something else from the same brand. I don't see it as likely that you wouldn't like the 7L anejo.

Virtuoso

I picked myself up another bottle of Don Julio Reposado today. I can't wait to get home and crack it open. The last bottle I had was incredible.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    I picked myself up another bottle of Don Julio Reposado today. I can't wait to get home and crack it open. The last bottle I had was incredible.
    That's what I ended up buying on Saturday when I discovered that Binny's was out of Siete Leguas. Can't wait to crack the Don Julio Rep open.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by unclebunk View Post
    That's what I ended up buying on Saturday when I discovered that Binny's was out of Siete Leguas. Can't wait to crack the Don Julio Rep open.
    Now you guys are making me thirsty...

It might be my favorite of the Don Julio line (not better than 1942, but not that far off either).

http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com/2...-reposado.html

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Now you guys are making me thirsty...

It might be my favorite of the Don Julio line (not better than 1942, but not that far off either).

http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com/2...-reposado.html
    Others may disagree but I find the Don Julio Reposado jaw-droppingly good and I'm thankful that it can be had for less than $40 when found on sale. My wife and I loved the stuff after a nice Mexican meal we prepared. Creamy and delicious. It may be the finest dessert tequila out there!