Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 36 of 91 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast

Thread: Tequila Forum

Virtuoso

Re: Tequila Forum

Glad to hear that so many others have such high praise for Don Julio Reposado. I almost bought the Anejo this time instead of the Reposado. I've never had a good quality Anejo and really want to try one. But I think the Don Julio Reposado is so good I'm afraid I won't like the Anejo or something.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    Glad to hear that so many others have such high praise for Don Julio Reposado. I almost bought the Anejo this time instead of the Reposado. I've never had a good quality Anejo and really want to try one. But I think the Don Julio Reposado is so good I'm afraid I won't like the Anejo or something.
    I'm pretty sure you'll really enjoy the anejo as well. I've never owned a bottle but I've had a number of pours at the homes of friends and was always impressed. Another one I really like is El Tesoro Anejo which is quite delicious. Maybe you should start down the anejo road with something a little less expensive, like Cazadores Anejo, so you don't drop too much dough on a bottle that may or may not suit your tastes.
    Last edited by unclebunk; 09-19-2012 at 16:48.
    "I distrust a man who says 'when.' He's got to be careful not to drink too much, because he's not to be trusted when he does." Sydney Greenstreet

Connoisseur

There's plenty of good anejos out there. Check out El Jimador Anejo if you want something cheap, but tasty. It's got a lot of nice bourbon qualities. It just won the Spirits of Mexico competition for best anejo for the 2nd year in a row. It's not my favorite, but it's still pretty darn good...especially for under $30.

http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com/2...ila-anejo.html
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Virtuoso
    I found myself last night at a restaurant called Masa Azul. They had a very extensive tequila menu, so I had them pour me a handful of glasses - and I mean glasses as each drink I had was poured generously into a champagne flute.

I started with a Sotol for the heck of it. They had the Hacienda line and I went with the blanco to get a feel for the plant. It was good, though I think I would have enjoyed it a bit more paired with some food. On its own, it was educational, but a little boring.

Then the resident tequila expert led us through a tasting of the Fortaleza line: excellent, excellent stuff, and the anejo was my definitely my favorite. The blanco was a superb tequila to drink alongside food and the reposado just didn't stand out enough to me. I might just have to hunt down a bottle of the Fortaleza Anejo.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I found myself last night at a restaurant called Masa Azul. They had a very extensive tequila menu, so I had them pour me a handful of glasses - and I mean glasses as each drink I had was poured generously into a champagne flute.

I started with a Sotol for the heck of it. They had the Hacienda line and I went with the blanco to get a feel for the plant. It was good, though I think I would have enjoyed it a bit more paired with some food. On its own, it was educational, but a little boring.

Then the resident tequila expert led us through a tasting of the Fortaleza line: excellent, excellent stuff, and the anejo was my definitely my favorite. The blanco was a superb tequila to drink alongside food and the reposado just didn't stand out enough to me. I might just have to hunt down a bottle of the Fortaleza Anejo.
    It's good, but it's pricey. It's made in the most authentic way possible and you can taste the difference. I love the blanco for $40. The anejo gets closer to the $60-70 range and that's a high price when there's a lot of really good anejos out there in the $40-50 range. Mission Liquor has one of the best prices on Fortaleza if my memory serves me correctly.

Connoisseur

I was finally able to open my bottle of the Don Pilar Extra Anejo last night. This is a true gem of a tequila. Different than other extra anejos to be sure, but it has a lot of elements that are like other spirits that make it truly delicious. The review is here:

http://tequilatourist.blogspot.com/2...tra-anejo.html

Normally I'm not a big fan of spending $100+ on a tequila, but this an Crotalo XA stick out in the crowd for me thus far as the most well crafted and unique ones. A cut above tequilas like Jose Cuervo RdF, Cabo Uno or AsomBroso.

Connoisseur

Finally decided to pick up a Don Julio 1942 for $80 on sale. Haven't tried it before, as the $100+ price always made me shy away, but I today was a good day. I'll probably open it up tomorrow night. Looking forward to comparing it to some of my other anejos to see if it's worth the premium.

Connoisseur

It seems like forever since I've been here. I had a great tequila flight for my birthday a couple of nights ago and it included the new bottle of Don julio 1942. It's different than the blue label, but just as good for different reasons. What's everyone else drinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    It seems like forever since I've been here. I had a great tequila flight for my birthday a couple of nights ago and it included the new bottle of Don julio 1942. It's different than the blue label, but just as good for different reasons. What's everyone else drinking?
    Activate your birthday on your profile and we would have posted a birthday post for you.
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.

Enthusiast

My budget bottle of tequila right now is the Herencia Mexicana Blanco. Fragrant nose, floral tequila notes on the palate, very smooth and clean. At $20-$25 I think it's a pretty good value.

My favorite right now that I drink regularly is the ArteNom 1414. Just so effing good. Tons of flavor, dangerously drinkable.

Soon to try the other ArteNoms particularly the 1146 which I've heard great things about.

Got my eye on the TPS barrel strength Tequila Ocho bottling. Very interested in that one, but not sure if I'm $75+shipping interested just yet.